incredably fast overheating

ando

Mar 25, 2005
homepage.eircom.net
Hi,

I had driven my LCR about 2miles and before I knew it my temperature alarm was going off, it was at 120. So i pulled over, left the engine off for about a minute, started it up again and it was at 90 (normal). Got about 400 meters and pulled into a garage, the temp was at about 100 when I pulled into the garage. Left the engine off for a while, and went home. On the way home I noticed it was staying at 90 for a while but every once and a while it would go up (thats when I took the picture)

Can anyone suggest anything? what could it be?? The car was only serviced 2 weeks ago and the coolent fluid is way above minimum

crap.jpg

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
Tut, tut, using your mobile at 39mph.
It sound like the waterpump as its the most common item to go wrong. Other things may include a airlock in the coolant system (if it was changed out during service).

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
what tam said:

common issue - you'll need a new water pump, (go for a metal/brass version, not the plastic one) and while you're there, may as well do cambelt etc as well. (The fact it all has to be removed to do the pump anyway)

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
Perhaps time for a sticky..???

Theres been enough usefull info posted about it, as well as some good pics ..

Sound a good idea?

StuLCR52

MK1 LCR project….
Sep 11, 2005
Hampshire (formally Lisburn NI)
this happened to me, but it turned out that the fans were not spinning up due the fan fuse on the batt had fried itself! no problems since the new fuse has been fitted thou,

so scary thou watching the water temp rise so quickly, definately a brown trouser experience. orderin new guages so i can keep a better eye under the hood.

stu

davebnly

I LOVE BOOST!
Aug 27, 2006
Lancashire
mine has just gone too, 5 days ago, its an '03 1.8 Cupra on 27K miles.
exact same symptoms so im guessing the CUPRA-R is basically same engine.
Its such a pain, had it remapped to 225BHP last week n just got a PowerFlow CAT-BACK system on the day it went!

Last edited:

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
get metal impellor water pump..
~£35+vat from german & swedish.
if dealer fits one it will be the shite plastic impellor one again :(

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
did a cam belt and water pump on a 32K miler golf 1.8T and its water pump impellor was cracked ready to fail.
shite quality vw part :(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.