Engine Overheating for short time

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
So, for the first time today my car started creeping past 90 degrees and would not stop whilst I was stuck in traffic having just come off the motorway. It was a scary experience because the needle crept up to approx 105 degrees before its started to cool back down to 90 degrees.. any thoughts on this? What should I do? I am at work now and thinking of going for a test drive to see if it happened again before heading out. Any help would be great

Connor H

Dec 19, 2019
Essex
check your high and low speed fans are working, it could be a few things. (rad temp sensor, fan module etc). theres tons of info on this one out there.

Reactions: Jay20VT

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
cheers, just went for a blast to see if it happens again and nothing, stood at 90.. stopped to idile and both fans came on.. i assume that's normal? For both?

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Did that once in my old car, but never did it again.

Once it hits 105 the fans turn to hurricane speed in an emergency cooling mode.

If it keeps doing it it's often the resistor in the fan pack that has gone.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Did that once in my old car, but never did it again.

Once it hits 105 the fans turn to hurricane speed in an emergency cooling mode.

If it keeps doing it it's often the resistor in the fan pack that has gone.
Thanks for this.
it was a scary moment but driven it twice on a short run since and not done it again. When I parked up and idled it after a blast it stuck to 90 and both fans kicked in fine. Not sure what to do now if anything at all

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Thanks for this.
it was a scary moment but driven it twice on a short run since and not done it again. When I parked up and idled it after a blast it stuck to 90 and both fans kicked in fine. Not sure what to do now if anything at all
Take it you've checked coolant for any leaks, cracked reservoir?

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Take it you've checked coolant for any leaks, cracked reservoir?
yeh bud.. did a visual and nothing untoward.. a colleague told me just to keep an eye on it but looking through the paperwork I can't see when the T stat was last changed so perhaps it might be worth doing that. Noticed in the colder months it does take a while for it to get to op temp, could that mean a sticky stat?

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
yeh bud.. did a visual and nothing untoward.. a colleague told me just to keep an eye on it but looking through the paperwork I can't see when the T stat was last changed so perhaps it might be worth doing that. Noticed in the colder months it does take a while for it to get to op temp, could that mean a sticky stat?
I think the thermostat could be your culprit. The fans are obviously working independently, so it's down to the stat to regulate. A cheap, easy fix so I would definitely go with that first. You could always run a diagnostic after if you get any further problems. It is scary driving though when that temp creeps up & over. Hawk eying that temp guage when stuck in traffic is heart racing stuff!

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Only had it since September and nothing in the paperwork to suggest a replacement
It's going in for MOT in a couple weeks so will get them to replace and add fresh coolant as a matter of cause. What do you think?

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Tell A lie.. just looked again at past papers and looks like the stat was changed back in 2016.. still worth changing?
I would, it's a cheap option.
Alternatively, if you really want peace of mind before doing anything, have a diagnostic test first & if the thermostat is goosed, or any other issue, it should throw up a code & you can accurately see what temp the fans are kicking in.

BadBoy03

Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Only had it since September and nothing in the paperwork to suggest a replacement
It's going in for MOT in a couple weeks so will get them to replace and add fresh coolant as a matter of cause. What do you think?
Just checking re: your fans, is your A/C working well?

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Just checking re: your fans, is your A/C working well?
Yeh, it was fine when I was using it last but not used since the weather has been tame.
As we speak I'm getting the wheels refurbished, had this booked in ages ago but happy to go through some diagnostics ?
Thanks you

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
I agree with what everyone else said, with the thermostat being a cheap and easy to fit option, i would go with that first just to rule it out if nothing else.

The fans are controlled by a thermostatic electrical switch screwed into the back of the radiator. From memory I think stage 1 should trigger at somewhere around 90C and stage 2 (emergency/full speed fan mode) kicks in at 105C. If you have continued problems after changing the stat the I would say there is a pretty high chance that is where your problem lies. They are available for somewhere around £25, you just need to make sure if you have the square or triangle shaped plug when you order it (mine was the triangle). It's another easy job, there is a drain tap on the bottom of the radiator, drain the coolant below the level of the switch, then simply unplug the connector and swap the switches, before refilling the coolant.

Another possible option is the fan control unit that lies under the battery area. This can also fail, although it's usually pretty reliable.

The other thing is as Badboy said, the usual slow speed fan failure. Common issue, although they usually fail completely rather than intermittantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: BadBoy03

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
If you get stuck in creeping traffic with no fans, open the windows and put the heater on full blast.
The engine will now be happy stuck in traffic all day.
You will be miserable though.
The heater also bypasses the thermostat too.

One thing that p1sses me off about the VAG temp gauges, is they lie. At least on TDi's.
The temp gauge is not the engine temperature, it is what the marketing department forced the engineers to program the engine management to send to the gauge.
That reassuring, perfect, sign of a quality engineered car, that steady 90 degrees that the gauge is showing you, is actually any coolant temperature between 70 and 110 degrees.
If you drive with VCDS connected, you will see this.
You are denied the ability to get early warning of problems.
If I could work out how to program it out in the engine management, I'd be in there like Flynn.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/96923-Vag-com-engine-coolant-temp-reading

Last edited:

g60stu

Feb 9, 2003
Reading
If you get stuck in creeping traffic with no fans, open the windows and put the heater on full blast.

One thing that p1sses me off about the VAG temp gauges, is they lie. At least on TDi's.
The temp gauge is not the engine temperature, it is what the marketing department forced the engineers to program the engine management to send to the gauge.
That reassuring, perfect, sign of a quality engineered car, that steady 90 degrees that the gauge is showing you, is actually any coolant temperature between 70 and 105+ degrees.
If I could work out how to program it out in the engine management, I'd be in there like Flynn.

https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/96923-Vag-com-engine-coolant-temp-reading
I've always wondered how such basic engineering kept the temp at 90degrees perfectly no matter what the conditions were. Thats a really useful bit of info.(y)

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Some really good info here guys. I will deffo get the garage to replace the stat and drop in some new coolant to start with. I will keep you all posted.
Really appreciate your help in this, which was a heart racing moment for me.

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol

That reassuring, perfect, sign of a quality engineered car, that steady 90 degrees that the gauge is showing you, is actually any coolant temperature between 70 and 105+ degrees.

It's the same on the petrol engines too. If temp is in the normal operating range, (76C-105C in the case of the 1.8t) you'll just get 90C on the gauge.

There are many systems on the car that are more 'computerised' than you'd think for the age of them, the folding electric mirrors being one example. Rather than the switch operating a relay, it just signals to the CCM module, and the CCM commands the mirrors to move.

When you flip the switch for the first time after disconnecting the battery, it can take upto 10 secs for the mirrors to actually start moving, i'm guessing while the CCM is working out their position.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I would be surprised if the temps stay as low as 70 to 80C unless your thermostat is not working right.