Engine Overheating for short time

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Some really good info here guys. I will deffo get the garage to replace the stat and drop in some new coolant to start with. I will keep you all posted.
Really appreciate your help in this, which was a heart racing moment for me.
Don't go to a garage I used! The thermostat was kaput and it would fluctuate between 90 and 70. The guy at the desk when I dropped it off said "isn't that a good thing?"

Picked it up and they said "they'd tested the thermostat and found it was fine". As if they'd removed it, stuck it in some hot water and put it back in.

Never went back there.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Some cars use an electronically controlled flap instead of a thermostat.
But if you have a thermostat, which is some wax, a spring and a valve then be aware it is not a precise thing.
It gradually opens at a temperature according to its specs an they are usually specified by opening temperature which is different to fully open.
You test a thermostat by putting it in hot water.

Nathan penney

Jul 8, 2017
Liverpool
Just read all this with interest as happened in my grey one ages ago.
Never done it since.
Temp Gauge still takes a while to move sometimes other times it’s fine.
Hope you get it sorted with a cheap and easy fix.

Jay20VT

The 'R' In CupRa
Jul 23, 2004
N.London
Just read all this with interest as happened in my grey one ages ago.
Never done it since.
Temp Gauge still takes a while to move sometimes other times it’s fine.
Hope you get it sorted with a cheap and easy fix.
Cheers Nathan

Welcome back bud and Thanks for that. Yeah it was a horrible moment but since then I have driven it twice and never happened again. Will be picking her up tomorrow, so ses what happens. I'm gonna get the garage to replace the stat and add in fresh coolant just to be sure as it would be a nightmare on a motorway, which I use alot

Reactions: BadBoy03

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
I'm notoriously tight fisted with getting quality parts at a good price.
Thermostats though, I just buy at the main dealer & pay the £15.
Reason? The aftermarket thermostats have all been utter crap.
Temperature wibbly wobbling all over the place.

With the genuine VAG thermostat, my real coolant temperature (via VCDS), cruising 70mph is 90-91 degrees.

Solid as a rock.

The irony is that they never needed a cheat on the temperature gauge.

Couple of weblinks attached on how those much smarter than me reprogrammed the hex machine code with Vag Tacho, to get the gauge to display properly.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/diy-linear-true-coolant-temperature-gauge-in-cluster.4432399/
https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...e-linearization-and-other-cluster-EEPROM-mods
https://www.r32oc.com/threads/vag-tacho-real-time-temp-mod-mod-to-the-mod.40886/

The attached PDF's haven't saved properly, so I would delete them if I can work out how.

Attachments

• temperature linear gauge.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
  • linear temp gauge.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members