Inlet manifold.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Seen a few for sale on ebay and wondering weather to get one but unsure if they'll make any difference at all or compliment a front mount intercooler?

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
The first one looks to be of better quality than the red one however they will make no difference without supporting mods, fmic or not.
You will need a good hybrid turbo and downpipe/exhaust and a decent rolling road remap (not a chip tune) to take advantage of and get the best out of them.
Both look good though from a bling perspective.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Thanks for your reply.
1st off, im not into bling factor so would have gone for the metal rather than a coloured one.
I like the stock look engine bay.
Ive been thinking about inlet manifolds for a few days now and come to the conclusion that the stock item is pretty good for flow anyway as im not expecting the car to be on the plus side of 300hp.
The car is in daily use so (money aside) i cant have the car off the road for longer than a weekend. So that cancels out exhaust manifold, turbo and downpipe for the time being.
Im just thinking bolt on mods that can be done in short time. But ones that will actually make a difference to the cars performance.
Could probably go down pipe and sports cats to attach to my middle and rear Milltek middle and rear but will be leaving turbo and ex manifold as standard.

Would that be worth doing? Or are turbo and ex manifold a must?

The plan is to take the car to badger5 later in the year and get them to set the car to its full potential rather than just have a standard program remap that it already has.

Rich

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
I dont know if this helps but I have only done "bolt on's" thus far and mine is also a daily driver (well when I need it that is or its not leaking/broken).
I have a hybrid turbo mated to a high flow exhaust manifold but on stock downpipe with a custom cat back. Badger5 TIP and cone filter/heat shield.
Standard inlet manifold that has been matched to the phenolic heat spacer, VR6 throttle body (not fitted at present).
650cc injectors fitted into aluminium cups, Forge style hard boost pipe, Airtec FMIC with a mix of silicon and aluminium piping.

I dont have a lot of money so have to be careful what and how I fit things what I fit and usually has to be done over a weekend.

I also have front and rear whiteline ARB's, front and rear steel strut braces but am on standard suspension (replaced around 2014) and bushes (because **** roads where I live).

This summer I plan to get a remap (Bill is just to far for me to do in a day) so will either be AMD or somewhere else in Essex.

Reactions: Connor H

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Sounds like you have it sorted.
Ive just messaged the seller of my cat back system to see if/ how much a large bore down pipe and sports cat will be.

So maybe that and a front mount cooler will do before its last trip to the tuners.

Got a badger5 intake pipe (and cone filter)and forge valve already.

Rich

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
In fact I have spent the Christmas break rebuilding my garage in order to get the car in so I can do more (not out on the street)....

Reactions: Rich.T

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
My car is parked on the road and dont fancy working on it out there.

I still have keys to the garage i used to work at and do the occasional mot there to keep my licence running.

So have the place after hours to myself now and then to do bits and bobs to the car.

Rich

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I keep mulling over the idea of an upgraded intake manifold and have seen both of those particular ones posted above from various sellers.

The first one is quite similar in appearance to the Integrated Engineering one which is rather tasty but has the price tag to match.

The second one I've seen various guises and a multitude of colours and finishes.
These ones can be found on many of the Chinese websites eg. Aliexpress & Alibaba for considerably less money but I have no idea how they perform?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I love the look of these but not sure I could bring myself to spending that much on one.

It's a shame the SEM manifolds have now been discontinued as they've been dyno proven to make a huge difference in performance in these engines.
When they do very rarely come up for sale they demand top dollar unfortunately.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Im guessing changing the downpipe on these is a ballache aswell?

I feel like selling up and buying an RS6

I cant afford to sell up and buy an RS6

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex
To change the downpipe is not a huge ball ache but isnt that easy either. KO4 - you need to jack the car up as one bolt is underneath and not accessable from the top, the other 2 bolts can be got at from the top once the boost pipe and heat shields have been removed. You will need C spanners or obstruction spanners for the top 2 the bottom one a normal wobble socket and various extensions. Dont forget a new oem gasket :)

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Sounds not too bad, i was more thinking the subframe and steering rack needs lowering down to get the downpipe out and in?

Also it looks like milltek only do a decat downpipe so dont know what other companies to trust for quality and clearance issues (on body/subframe,rack etc) that may occur with the cheaper brands.

Last edited:

Gokiwi64

Geriatric Member
Apr 26, 2014
Hockley, Essex

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020
Nice one :)

Are they a subframe down job?
And
Any chance the car will still pass an emissions test?

Thai-wronghorse

Dec 3, 2015
Kent
I am looking in to the grams inlet. Looks very well made also company in London are a distrabuter as well.... think I need to make some phone calls
If you weren't already aware the 034 inlet is identical and made by Grams albeit rebadged and with a higher price tag so just get the Grams one.
The Skunk2 link I posted above is the cheapest I've seen so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manic172 and Rich.T

Manic172

https://m.facebook.com/ManicMotorsport1
Dec 4, 2018
Hemel hempstead
www.seatcupra.net
If you weren't already aware the 034 inlet is identical and made by Grams albeit rebadged and with a higher price tag so just get the Grams one.
The Skunk2 link I posted above is the cheapest I've seen so far.

But I do like the look of the IE one tho......

As you say skunk2 do have a really cheep price tag some how.

Rich.T

Feb 15, 2020

Right looking at this link, they do 2.5 and 3.0 inch downpipe and sports cat. I have a 2.75 inch milltek middle section and rear box.
I could get either the 2.5 or 3.0 inch dp and cat to attach to my 2 75. Done properly with a welder that does stainless.

Would that be ok as i plan to go stage 2?

The middle and rear cost a pretty penny. Im not being tight but on the other hand, im not into throwing money away.

Rich

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members