Installing a secondary 12v cig lighter in boot and a rear passenger usb charging hub

Morganator

Jul 10, 2020
Hi all this is my first seat owned and really enjoying and enjoying this forum the community has been so helpful lately getting me on my feet.

I currently own a Seat leon ecomotive 2012 1P

Im wanting to install a secondary 12v cig lighter in boot and a rear passenger usb charging hub. Reason for this is during long journeys i want to have a mini 12v cooler/fridge to transport my medication and keep food cool for that day. Ive done electrical projects on other cars in the past just not familiar with modern vehicle wiring or bet source of power.

I have conveniently found the fuse panel on the drivers side door side dash. Did some testing with a multi-meter and found a vacant fuse carrier that powers on only during ignition and vehicle running, which is ideal for the rear cig lighter port as when im away from the car its not drawing power from the batter when not in use.

The only thing is how will i know the max supported fuse amperage for that carrier? As there is power going to it from the loom but its hard to identify what size cabling is used for that carrier and what amp to draw from it which is safe and wont cause overheating.

Same for the rear passenger usb charge hub but im not as concerned for this as each usb port will be pulling a max of 2.4a.

Pic below for reference to the usb charge hub im wanting to use. Again ideal to keep passengers phones charged on journeys. its going to be mounted to the rear centre console plastic housing.

car usb charger.jpg

Thanks all

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi, is that fuse location not in your manual? Failing that, if you circle which one it is, I may be able to find it in the Haynes guide as it might be used in other models.

Reactions: Morganator

Morganator

Jul 10, 2020
Hi, is that fuse location not in your manual? Failing that, if you circle which one it is, I may be able to find it in the Haynes guide as it might be used in other models.
Not that I can see no. I will do and get back to you thanks. I need to use 2 spare fuse carriers one for boot cig port and one for the rear passenger USB ports. If it says vacient does does that mean there is 12v going to it? And if so how can you tell what the maximum amp draw that feed can support? Don't want to draw more than the carrier can hold and end up with my dash loom on fire ha

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not that I can see no. I will do and get back to you thanks. I need to use 2 spare fuse carriers one for boot cig port and one for the rear passenger USB ports. If it says vacient does does that mean there is 12v going to it? And if so how can you tell what the maximum amp draw that feed can support? Don't want to draw more than the carrier can hold and end up with my dash loom on fire ha

I would take vacant to mean that it's not used at all on that model. Do you use the front cig lighter for anything? Could you piggy back off that as it's a known amp rating?

Morganator

Jul 10, 2020
I would take vacant to mean that it's not used at all on that model. Do you use the front cig lighter for anything? Could you piggy back off that as it's a known amp rating?
I do yeah but just to charge my phone. I could piggy back of that fuse i think its rated to 20 amps. Im not 100% sure but if i piggy bank another 20a fuse onto the standard 20 amp cig lighter feed would only 20 amps be shared across both or will i be potentially drawing 40 amps off a 20a rated cable? I don't think id ever exceed 20 amps but not sure how it works. Ive got the pic you suggested, ive circled the vacant fuse port that gets 12v when ignition and engine start is engaged but wouldn't know what its max fuse rating is as it could be a 10amp rated wire but i go and stick a 20 amp fuse in it drawing more than it supports.

IMG_20200710_115331.jpg

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
I have the same car, that fuse arrangement differed from the handbook, I'll have to check when I go out

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.