Installing Rear Indicator LEDs

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Guide now located in the new resources section of the site

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
This is from the seller of the bulbs mentioned above. Before you ask I have NO connection with him/her
Hi!

Thank you for your nice words and for your recommendation on the SEAT forum.I am glad you like the bulbs.. I still have them in stock,item number 161207249658.If you need any other bulb please ask me as as stock other models as well but I can't list them on eBay as I reach the number of items I can list.So anything you need or your friends need,please ask me.Please don't forget to leave feedback for me as I need it badly to increase my listing allowance.Thank you very much once again!
Kind regards,
- ruudg10

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Yes I have a short burst . Where's the best place to post them so we can see them. I want to avoid Youtube as I don't want to sign up for all that Google + stuff.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Wow thanks dephead, that looks better than I thought it would seeing as there are less LED's on this bulb than the one in other thread.

Just seeing if I can find them cheaper elsewhere as they are quite expense, but if not they are worth it for people like me who don't use soldering irons!

EDIT: Got bored looking, ordered from your seller :)

Last edited:

Simmo11

Jan 21, 2014
Burton on Trent
Hi Dephead,
Great how to - thanks. I’ve just changed mine.
One tip I would offer is that if you haven’t got an 17mm allen key is to lock 2 nuts together on a 17mm bolt & to use that. It worked for me.
Cheers
Paul

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
Great write up Dephead, thanks! I have just ordered the bulbs from that guy from ebay. Looks pretty straight forward I think even I can manage this one!! ;)

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
It's easy. Just be gentle with prising out/off the light clusters and don't overtighten the bolt on refitting.

BTW on my LHS bolt I had 2 white washers and on the RHS I had 0. Now they each have 1 . Nice one SEAT

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Cannot get the bloody thing to seat back into these two lugs! It goes back in but its not going all the way back in so the forward tip of the cluster stickers out. Grr!

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Gonna have to wait until one of you guys can come to my rescue :rofl: :cry:

I'm not sure exactly how much force should be used to push those sodding lugs in, but I've just spent a good 15-20 minutes trying.

The cluster goes back in okay but the upper-most left tip of the light (see pic 4 of tutorial) does not sit properly within the recess anymore, its popped out.

I've tightened it the hex screw back up and come back inside before I get a hammer!

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Dephead2004 asked me to add my pictures and info in removing the rear light from another thread, so here it is :)

I had to replace one of my rear lights last month as I was getting condensation in it and noticed a tiny tiny internal crack where it's bonded together.

I can't believe the way the rear lights are mounted and not obvious if you have never had to remove them before. I am referring to the two side lugs in the grommets of course, and easy when you know how :)

I did a little guide over on another Seat forum with some pictures to help out anyone else that may have trouble.

Anyway, here it is...

hi guys,

Got my replacement light yesterday and fitted between the showers and all seems good now :)
Cost me £61 (Full price is £146) as I don't think they added the vat on :)

Not sure if all Seat, VW, Skoda, Audi are the same fitment wise, but I assume so, so will add a little how to to save some of you breaking you're outer rear lights :)

Should be simple really and is when you know how but if you can't see how the light mounts, it's very easy to break bits :(
There is a diagram in the manual and even I thought I understood it but obviously not.

Anyway, first open boot, Locate the little carpet cover which is parallel to the light and remove to reveal the light mounting bolt.
Remove the mounting bolt with a 17mm hex key or a flat head screwdriver by turning anti clockwise.

Once you have removed the bolt from the boot, you need to look at the top right edge of the light on the rear wing. I was removing drivers side, it would be top left side if doing the passenger side.
There are two lug bolts which are a push fit into rubber mounts in the rear quarter panel, these are the lugs...

The lugs are here when light is fitted to vehicle...

Standing at the side of the car with the rear wheel facing you, you will need to grab the outer edge of the light and pull it towards you to release the bolts.
Remember they are push fit so there is nothing to undo.

Pull the light directly away from the car from the edge of the light where the lugs locate into the body. It can be a little stiff because the grommets create a sort of vacuum but be patient and the lugs will pop out of the grommets.

Don't wiggle the light around like a madman trying to remove the light or you WILL snap the lugs on the light.

Once the two lugs are clear, the light will slide out to the rear of the car, then unplug the wiring harness.
You will need a small screwdriver to pop the tab in to unhook the connector.

Replacement is straight forward.
Reconnect the wiring plug, slide the unit into position, Locate the lugs and press into the grommets noting the angle that they need to be to go straight in.
As always, lube will always help when putting something into a tight hole so a bit of fairy liquid or Vaseline will help :whistle:

I used firm pressure with the palm of my hand to push the light back into place.
Once you have pushed the lugs back into the grommets fully, it should be lined up and flush fitting.

Then replace the bolt in the boot and don't over tighten it, this is why I used a screwdriver myself.
Replace the carpet cover and go test everything is working

I was careful but tried wiggling the light a bit before I knew how it was attached and both the push fit bolts had snapped off on the old light :(
It is pretty easy to remove now that I know how lol
I would have also been more careful removing something that was not already broken :rofl:

Pictures are of the original light which had the crack in the glass, I have managed to dry it all out, glue bolts back on and silicone sealed the light all the way round so is all good for a spare now if I ever need it :)

The only time you will really need to remove the outer lights is if you need to replace the part, or replace a bulb, or upgrade to LED's.
If you have rear led lights, the only bulbs that I can see that are replaceable are the indicator bulbs.

I am in no way responsible if you follow this guide blah blah blah lol
And if you do muck it up, maybe this will help lol

Hope this helps someone in future :)

AJ

Oct 16, 2013
I have just fitted my LED indicator bulbs and this guide was spot on, many thanks guys!

One tip I would like to add would be if you don't have a 17mm Hex key or a 17mm bolt to hand (like me, lol) You can use the Alloy Wheel Locking Nut Remover!! Worked for me as I was able to loosen the Hex Bolt by hand with the alloy key remover in place.

So everybody who has factory fitted alloys, already has the tool to do this mod in their car!! :D[B)]

Last edited:

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
You only need a straight screwdriver, there's a slot for it in the bolt.