Installing Rear Indicator LEDs

terryt

Aug 16, 2013
My bolt looks the same and pretty sure our cars were built similar times (week 39?). Mine had a straight slot deep in the head of the bolt.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Ah OK inside the hex head. Torque is minimal so that'll be a great workaround if you don't have the hex socket.
Wish could go back and edit post 1

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
I have the slots as well and that's why I used a screwdriver instead.
Don't think there's any need to edit first post as it should be pretty obvious for anyone else wanting to undo them :)

addsLEON

Mar 7, 2013
You only need a straight screwdriver, there's a slot for it in the bolt.

If you look right at the bottom of the black plastic tail light screw theres a slot...all u need to use is a slotted screw driver that fits in the slot to unscrew it...no bolts or alloy locking nut is needed

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
bolt on my March14 car is different, but still simple to take off. Bit scary trying to get the lights off but managed it in the end :)

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Hi, great mod !!! Only issue I have is that on both sides of mine the plastic washer came away and fell down into the body structure - doh !! I've tried Seat and it does not show on the rear lamp exploded view - does anyone know the part number for this or where I can source an equivalent ?

Thanks in advance.

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Hi, great mod !!! Only issue I have is that on both sides of mine the plastic washer came away and fell down into the body structure - doh !! I've tried Seat and it does not show on the rear lamp exploded view - does anyone know the part number for this or where I can source an equivalent ?

Thanks in advance.

I found some on ebay. If anyone else needs some the seller is atters153 and the ones you need are M10 which are 20mm O/D and 2mm thick. They fit perfectly.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Those things seriously don't want to come off! When you pull the light cluster away from the car, are you pulling toward the back of the car or the side of the car? I'm a little confused as the pictures don't clearly indicate what direction the lugs are in.

Anyone got any further tips? I literally feel like it's not meant to come off!

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Those things seriously don't want to come off! When you pull the light cluster away from the car, are you pulling toward the back of the car or the side of the car? I'm a little confused as the pictures don't clearly indicate what direction the lugs are in.

Anyone got any further tips? I literally feel like it's not meant to come off!

The lugs push into the side of the wing. Don't wiggle the light around from the back of the car or you will snap the lugs, trust me, I know.

Standing facing the car as in the picture, you need to pull on the edge of the light nearest to the filler flap. You need to pull towards you.
It's quite tight but will come out.

Just make sure you have removed the bolt from inside the boot first :)

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
The lugs push into the side of the wing. Don't wiggle the light around from the back of the car or you will snap the lugs, trust me, I know.

Standing facing the car as in the picture, you need to pull on the edge of the light nearest to the filler flap. You need to pull towards you.
It's quite tight but will come out.

Just make sure you have removed the bolt from inside the boot first :)

Thanks mate! That's where I was going wrong then - I thought it pulled out from the rear of the car and not to the side. Having said that, it still looks awkward :D

EDIT: Just wondering, is it possible to push the light out from inside the boot? Thinking it goes out in that direction, can it be pushed through the hole where the bolt is removed?

Last edited:

sixysix

Jan 27, 2014
London
Thanks mate! That's where I was going wrong then - I thought it pulled out from the rear of the car and not to the side. Having said that, it still looks awkward :D

EDIT: Just wondering, is it possible to push the light out from inside the boot? Thinking it goes out in that direction, can it be pushed through the hole where the bolt is removed?

No the bolt hole is quite small iirc and the rest of the inner boot is double skinned.
Once you release the lugs on the side, the light will slide out towards the rear of the car.

There is not much to grab onto the light when releasing the lugs but it does work with fingers.

You can use something to gently pry it away but you would have to be very careful not to scratch the paint.
Trim removal tool should work or a screwdriver wrapped in a microfibre to get you started, just enough to get you're fingers behind the edge of the light :)

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Had to take mine out, Every time you indicated it cut the DAB signal out [:@], and they weren't the cheap bulbs.
Normal bulbs ok, led no DAB when indicating[:@]

Deleted member 98136

No the bolt hole is quite small iirc and the rest of the inner boot is double skinned.
Once you release the lugs on the side, the light will slide out towards the rear of the car.

There is not much to grab onto the light when releasing the lugs but it does work with fingers.

You can use something to gently pry it away but you would have to be very careful not to scratch the paint.
Trim removal tool should work or a screwdriver wrapped in a microfibre to get you started, just enough to get you're fingers behind the edge of the light :)

I used a half of a wooden clothes peg to pry mine out of the grommits, then when fitting them back I smeared a bit of grease around the grommit hole.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise