Installing Sound system

TalVito

Dec 20, 2014
Dear all,
has anyone had any luck or know the method of installing external amp & sub?

My Head unit is without the navi,

Also, is there a way of retro fitting rear view camera for this set up?

TNX

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I've installed a sub with built in amp
8f584a6068d40bba772243686a14c2dc.jpg

pagey198

Jun 15, 2013
I'm interested in this too...

Has anyone got photos of the back of the headunit / loc placement / etc?

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I connected the power and rms lead to the fuse board. And the phono leads I connected to a rca converter of which I spliced into the speaker wires
1b0f22076faf4175e71570759188aeba.jpg

TalVito

Dec 20, 2014
where did you connect the power and RMS lead? to the main fuse board, or to the unit itself?

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I connected the power lead to the spade terminal on the top left hand side of the fuse box (this is a permanent battery live). I connected the rms to the cigarette lighter fuse. (Switched live). So basically I had already moved my cigarette lighter fuse up one space to make it a permanent live and then used the empty slot for the rms. hope this makes sense

TalVito

Dec 20, 2014
you gave me an idea! bought a rca converter with remote input, gonna connect feed from rear speakers to the converter and then to the amp, from the amp to sub, just wondering if i should or should not connect the rear speakers to the amp as well.

thank you man!

do you know if it's possible to connect rear view camera with this system?

pagey198

Jun 15, 2013
Cheers mate, great pictures!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you route the cabling from the fuse box / head unit to the boot?

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Cheers mate, great pictures!

If you don't mind me asking, where did you route the cabling from the fuse box / head unit to the boot?

No worries. Sorry if I was a bit short. I was driving whilst replying to your messages this morning oops.

I run the cables down the left hand side under the seal trim all the way to the boot. And good luck finding a grounding point for the amplifier. If you don't happen to find a suitable one like I didn't, then what you can do is drill into the spare wheel well and screw the ground to it.

pagey198

Jun 15, 2013
No worries..didnt notice tbh.

Cheers for the advice, how's the sound quality with the line out converter?
I used a luggage netting bolt in my mk2 for gtound but haven't looked too closely at the boot in the mk3 if im honest. Will check tomorrow.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
No worries..didnt notice tbh.

Cheers for the advice, how's the sound quality with the line out converter?
I used a luggage netting bolt in my mk2 for gtound but haven't looked too closely at the boot in the mk3 if im honest. Will check tomorrow.

The sound quality is fine. I can't really say much about fine quality seeing as it's just bass lol. But the sub does make a massive difference to the standard sound system. I don't think I go without it now.

TalVito

Dec 20, 2014
Well, went ahead and done it, took me a while but I nailed it,
I used the +/- cabels that goes from the battery to the fuse box inside the car.
The setup is JBL APP gt series and 12" JBL gt1042 Sub, gonna post some pics once i'm able.
The acoustics in the car is awsome, but still gonna do some sound deadning.

Components for front of the car up next!

pashok.tr

Aug 16, 2014
Hi, I installed 2 amps and Alpine pxe h650 in my Leon.
I can't find fuse for the remote. I wanted to find the radio fuse so I will able to turn off and on the system. Do you have idea??

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members