Ipod to Aura Head Unit

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
Got the Ipod fitted in now nicely underneath the phone.
Sorry if you have dial up.

IPOD.jpg

IPOD2.jpg

IPOD3.jpg

Last edited:

hopper

May 7, 2005
stoke-on-trent
does the i-pod show all the info on the factory radio screen, ie the track no or name.

im currently looking at this setup for my mk3 ibiza.

how does the setup with the i-pod compare to cd changers or mp3 headunits,

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
I haven't got the box yet but I would guess that the display would give a dummy track number and no other information as the ipod is not giving any data over but simply the sound is coming from the aux line in through the CD auochanger input.

I guess the only difference to normal mp3 headunits or cd changers is space. My Ipod is 20gb and can fit 5000 songs on it. Thats all my CDs, all my wifes CDs and all my downloaded computer music I have ever owned in one convenient box. I therefore have all my music to choose from in the car.

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
Well I bought one! Installed tonight and what a difference over an FM modulator!!! :-o

For those that are interested....a few pics.
You will need
a) Connects2 Aux input adapter as linked in the first post
b) Belkin Car Charger with Line out
c) 12v car power adapter
Note that the cable the Connects1 Aux box comes with is meant to fit on the end of the OE CD changer cable. Luckilly I had a previous Connects2 box for my A4 as a CD controller and the cable, with red plugs, has the correct pin layout for the back of the HU.
DSCF0126.jpg

I then took off the Drivers side under dash unscrewing at these points and then tugging gently towards you to release the catches either side of the steering wheel.
Driverssidedash.jpg

And then unplugging the light switches
DSCF0132.jpg

Using a Belkin car charger for line out and power I hid a socket and cable tied this next to the steering column so as to route the wires into the rear of the headunit.
Power is simply taken from the fuse board and you can see the earth point.
DSCF0133.jpg

You can just about hide the Connects2 box to the right here to avoid snagging the Head unit as you push back.
DSCF0135.jpg

Put all back together, switch on Head unit, press CD6 for the changer and hey presto....fantastic audio. The head unit displays a dummy 'CD 1 Tr 1' but you control the Ipod as normal.
DSCF0151.jpg

;)

Last edited:

davidegee

cool. How did you get the logo on your ipod please mate?

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
davidegee said:
cool. How did you get the logo on your ipod please mate?

If I tell you i'd have to kill you! :D

Seriously, there is a program you can download which messes with all the pictures in the firmware on the Ipod. When mine's connected to the computer the Do Not Disconnect sign shows my wife and baby boy!!

Check this out

Last edited:

Chris`I

Turbo Club Member
Apr 22, 2005
Basingstoke, Hants
Does that do CD Text info? I have one for my Sony HU atm, which is awaiting return to the shop as it said it did, and it didnt. They now have a revised model which does it (and costs £25 more) which they are replacing it with for free. Should look sweet with my active black Sony HU as I dont need the front down on it, so blends into my dash (Clio 02).

And I will say, it sounds a ton better than with either an FM addon thing or the tape adapter that I used to use. Having it running through clean AUX/RCA leads makes a big difference! Well worth the money.

I just prey that the new connects2 box that gets delivered does CD Txt or I'll be :censored:

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
Chris`I said:
Does that do CD Text info? I have one for my Sony HU atm, which is awaiting return to the shop as it said it did, and it didnt. They now have a revised model which does it (and costs £25 more) which they are replacing it with for free. Should look sweet with my active black Sony HU as I dont need the front down on it, so blends into my dash (Clio 02).

And I will say, it sounds a ton better than with either an FM addon thing or the tape adapter that I used to use. Having it running through clean AUX/RCA leads makes a big difference! Well worth the money.

I just prey that the new connects2 box that gets delivered does CD Txt or I'll be :censored:

Agree with you, couldn't go back to an FM modulator after an AUX in suddenly it's crystal clear and much more dynamic like CD :thumbup:

Mines nothing as fancy as what you're describing. The Aux in box is just that, it fools the HU into thinking it's connected to a Changer and allows a line in signal to be played from any low level sound source.

To get CD text you have to have some sort of data going to the HU aswell. I am not familiar with the Connects2 Sony version but it sounds like you are waiting for a dedicated Ipod connection and if that's the case it might control the Ipod as well as display text like Alpine, Pioneer Kenwood's adapters do.

Chris`I

Turbo Club Member
Apr 22, 2005
Basingstoke, Hants
Ah right ok. What mine does it as well as playing through the AUX connector, it also plugs into the CD Changer bus, adding the functions of the CD changer like CD text, and skipping forward and backwards through songs. Prob the same as yours just it will have a chip that can take and send some data commands to the ipod.

There is another unit, Dension I think, which does much fancier controls the same as the headunits do that you mention.

NickMartin

Dension IPOD - Aura Kit.

Hi im still writing this review, its for a bigger site im designing. I have no HTML software atm, awaiting new pc tue before i can use dreamweaver again.... Anyho the content of this review should be finished by sunday, with lots of screenshots from ipod & better pics even if the page layout is still crumby..

Draft: http://www.computervisions.co.uk/leon

Hope this is of use, sorry its not finished!

Nick. :hide:

Chris`I

Turbo Club Member
Apr 22, 2005
Basingstoke, Hants
NickMartin said:
Hi im still writing this review, its for a bigger site im designing. ..
Nick. :hide:
Thats the one! They do a sexeh little iPod mini holder, looks much nicer than the eBay holder I have. But then again, my Connects2 cost me £30, not the £130 or so the Dension costs. Will def get a dension when I one day get an LC/LCR (damn uni and not being able to start work yet! :( )

A16NS V

Don't tell my boss
May 2, 2005
Middle-lands
Both Connects2 and Dension replaces the CD changer, the single slot CD works as normal.

Hope that answers your question.

Chris`I

Turbo Club Member
Apr 22, 2005
Basingstoke, Hants
I dont know for sure with the stock head unit, but using the Connects2 adapter with my Sony unit, I did loose the CD autochanger option (I didnt have one, but if I did, I'd have lost it). The way it usually works, is to trick the HU into thinking there is a CD changer connected and uses the changers AUX channel to play sound through the HU. I would expect this to be the case with the stock HU as well.

But who needs an autochanger when you have an iPod ;)

EDIT: OK looking at teh pic above, it does take over from the CD changer, see the HU reads CD1 TR?

Last edited:

NickMartin

Loss of CD Changer

Sorry forgot to mension that in my review (which ive just added screenshots to etc..)

The Dension kit replaces the existing CD changer. As far as ive seen they all do this, otherwise the HU would get very confused!

Nick.

Chris`I

Turbo Club Member
Apr 22, 2005
Basingstoke, Hants
Yes that is correct. With one exception that I know of. FYI - Sony produce an adapter for thier HU which allows the use of multiple CD/MD changers. So if you have a Sony HU you can keep your CD changer and have iPod connected too :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.