is chipping your engine a good idea?

angry squirrel

hello all, im new to the forum and looking for some advise, i have a ibiza fr 130 diesel and was considering getting it chipped for increased power, has anyone done this, and does it damage the engine at all? looking for advise.

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
Hi and welcome. On modern cars, they get Remapped rather than chipped. Lots of people on here have had it done, I think the jump on 130 diesels is from 130bhp to 170bhp depending on what map. Have a search for things like "Custom Code" "revo" "jabba" to find out which is best for you.

I have a revo remap myself but i'd shop around to find out what is best for you. Before you do anything like that, get a green cotton panel filter.

angry squirrel

thanks all

ok will check out remapping, many thanks, what kind of results will the green cotton filter give? i suppose its best to get to help the breathing.

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
How much would you expect to pay on a well known company's remap?Ive been quoted around the £350 mark is this a bit pricey or usually about right?

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
How much would you expect to pay on a well known company's remap?Ive been quoted around the £350 mark is this a bit pricey or usually about right?

Sounds about right. What company or remap is it? I think a Revo Stage 1 remap is about £400+ vat. P-Torque is about £265 from memory. Each remap company has different characteristics from the map too.

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
Its a company called Angel Tuning they are based in Troon sort of near my area , my friend recently got his FR remapped sitting at 203bhp i cant remember the torque results though and it feels really good plus they gave him 1 years warranty with it aswell.

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Its a company called Angel Tuning they are based in Troon sort of near my area , my friend recently got his FR remapped sitting at 203bhp i cant remember the torque results though and it feels really good plus they gave him 1 years warranty with it aswell.

Warranty is a must. Best to give them a ring (or go and see them) and ask lots of questions and just have a chat about what you want from a map. If they are good, they will not mind having a chat about the options with you and will not put any pressure on you to buy. Ask to see figures or graphs of before and after the map for similar cars/engines to yours. Will they rolling-road it before and after?

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
I know they put his on the rolling road after the remap but thats something ill ask them if they will do a before and after for me!I know they also let you take it for a test drive after the map and if your not satisfied then you can get it back to standard.

Cheers for the info dude

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I know they put his on the rolling road after the remap but thats something ill ask them if they will do a before and after for me!I know they also let you take it for a test drive after the map and if your not satisfied then you can get it back to standard.

Cheers for the info dude

No probs, good luck. Its a lot of money to be spending so make sure you have all the questions you want answered before you do it. Would they consider a trial period? (I think REVO do a 30 day money back!)

Mar 20, 2009
Largs Scotland
My car is completly standard just now but i have been advised on these parts is there anywhere you could recommend a gd green filter and DV maybe you could pm me a few links?

LoDa

Oct 12, 2008
Southampton
My car is completly standard just now but i have been advised on these parts is there anywhere you could recommend a gd green filter and DV maybe you could pm me a few links?

http://www.green-filter.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=59&products_id=205207

Thats what I bought. Lets your car breathe properly AND before I changed mine from standard filter, the remap was kicking out soot, fire and brimstone. Cotton filter cleared out some of the smoke.

another quick fix I have been using is Shell V-Power diesel - have a search

mymorph

Feb 21, 2005
wolves
in a nutshell YES.
just been remapped by p-torque, before map my pd130 was 145bhp running stock. after a pd160 intake and remap was 182bhp MAX (running a new standard paper air filter&sainsburies basics deisel) . its really transformed the car between 3&4300 rpm, im still getting 55mpg when taking it easy - 65-70mph etc.

i'm getting a pipercross filter this week, which should improve things a little more too.

im very pleased that i eventually decided on my p-torque remap as id spent along time thinking about it. This is also the first car ive modded in any way, without this forum i probably wouldnt have bothered.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.