Is the standard radio head unit attached to the under tray?

bentonboy

Hi there, Im getting a 7" in car DVD touch screen system for my 2004 SEAT ibiza 1.4 that replaces for old standard radio. I have spoke to Halfords and they said yes, it will fit with a harness adapter for an extra £12 which is all good. BUT, they did say if the radio unit is attached to the tray below the radio unit then it will be around £40 to buy a new fascia to replace the space where the old radio and tray were, but if the under tray is not attached to the radio unit then its all ok. Could someone please tell me if the radio just comes out all itself, or is it attached to the under tray aswell? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
Hi there, Im getting a 7" in car DVD touch screen system for my 2004 SEAT ibiza 1.4 that replaces for old standard radio. I have spoke to Halfords and they said yes, it will fit with a harness adapter for an extra £12 which is all good. BUT, they did say if the radio unit is attached to the tray below the radio unit then it will be around £40 to buy a new fascia to replace the space where the old radio and tray were, but if the under tray is not attached to the radio unit then its all ok. Could someone please tell me if the radio just comes out all itself, or is it attached to the under tray aswell? Thanks

Give the tray a good pull and it'll pop out its held by a single fixing at the back that pops out
Just pull

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
right,

you are going to have to get a hacksaw blade to your standard facia.
Once you have removed both the stereo and the shelf you will see that there is are two large notches that stick out to seperate the two units. These need to be cut off so that you can get the double din unit in there. use a hacksaw blade then just smotth it down. you will find the cage quite tight to fit but it will go with some force.

Also even though you have cut the facia, you can still refit the standard stuff back and it won;t affect the fitment as i just did the same.

bentonboy

right,

you are going to have to get a hacksaw blade to your standard facia.
Once you have removed both the stereo and the shelf you will see that there is are two large notches that stick out to seperate the two units. These need to be cut off so that you can get the double din unit in there. use a hacksaw blade then just smotth it down. you will find the cage quite tight to fit but it will go with some force.

Also even though you have cut the facia, you can still refit the standard stuff back and it won;t affect the fitment as i just did the same.

Are you saying that you cannot simply just remove the radio head unit, the under tray is attached to it aswell?? :confused: I thought just with radio keys I could simply pop out the radio head unit?

Mar 25, 2009
bath
No it's a separate unit that just pulls out, what he is saying is that there are bits in the facia itself once both units are removed that may cause u an issue, and he has explained how to correct it :)

bentonboy

No it's a separate unit that just pulls out, what he is saying is that there are bits in the facia itself once both units are removed that may cause u an issue, and he has explained how to correct it :)

Oh ok thanks for clearing that up, thats ok then as I don't need to remove under tray, just the radio head unit so I can put in my new Radio :)

Mar 25, 2009
bath
Is it the halfords ripspeed special lol

I think from your first post we kinda got the impression you were going for a double din unit, not just a direct stereo change

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.