Is Wikipedia correct - Driver Steering Recommendation on Mk1 Leon?

gav_FR

Loud pipes save lives!
According to Wikipedia (so it must be true :rolleyes:), for the Mk1 Leon it says:

The electro-hydraulic power steering has an additional feature: the "Driver Steering Recommendation" system. This uses software which senses when the car is going into a skid, and automatically corrects by giving the wheel a quick nudge. Recognising that most drivers find the idea of a car steering itself a little troubling, Seat is quick to stress that the robotic nudge is merely a 'suggestion', which the driver is free to override at any time.

Didn't realise my car had this :confused:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
New one to me, I've had my car for 6 years + and had it on the edge and beyond several times.
Perhaps that's why I have lost it, been too busy waiting for the 'robotic nudge' lol

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The mk1 leon has hydro mechanical steering, not hydro electric, there is no motor involved in the system, wikipedia is probably reffering to the mk2 leon which has electro mechanical steering (and incorporates a big motor on the steering rack).

The only seat to have this type of steering (hydro electric) is the ibiza (mk4 onwards).

dom b

There is some truth to that.the ESP system uses a steering wheel position sensor and G-force sensor to anticipate a skid and then applies braking to wheels independantly and cuts boost and power to keep the car on the road.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
The mk2 leon (and altea/toledo) are the only vehicles with the capability of doing this. They have an electric motor controled by both its own control unit and the ecu and it is mounted onto the steering rack. They can vary the effort required to turn the wheel, if for instance you wish to have very light steering then the motor "helps" more by having a greater voltage applied to it to make it turn faster.
Esp works by, as you said applying the brakes in syncronisation and cutting the power in order to prevent you loosing control. It doesnt however as stated intervene with the steering. It has no means of doing so, there is no electronic motor on the mk1. It does have a steering angle sensor, this is to inform the Abs control unit of the position of the wheel and what adjustments need to be made to the brakes and power.