Jabba IHI LCR - First report...

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Well, having taken ownership of Aidy T's Jabba'd LCR a week last Sunday I thought i'd post my first report.

I meant to post sooner but had a bad cold last week and spent time sorting out pics and ads to sell my old car (there's a nice '04 platinum LC in the for sale section if anyone's interested?:D).

Well I've already spent my first cash on the beast, having a Milltek centre silencer fitted at JKM today (a straight through centre pipe was fitted previously). This is a big improvement already IMO taking the car back to almost stock noise levels and as a bonus I can now hear the turbo spool-up more clearly over the exhaust note - almost makes the car seem quicker too - maybe it's just me but I always think quiet cars feel quicker - and makes the car less tiring to drive as its my daily driver.
A big thank you to Jim at JKM for sorting it out as it wasn't a straightforward fit - the Jabba downpipe had a different flange from the Milltek and Jabba had obviously already modified the old centre pipe to fit. So Jim cut the flange off the old centre pipe and welded it to the new silencer. Interestingly it looked like the flange that Jabba had welded was blowing slightly and the flange was leaking :whistle: which wouldn't have been helping with the noise. Anyway looks like JKM have done a pukka job and i'm very pleased with it now.

I'm still getting used to the power available from the car - there's a bit slower spool-up compared to the revo'd LC, but when it gets going...:-o

This car can definitely surprise a few "genuine" performance cars!!

Hoping to sell my old LC soon to help fund the next mods ( I hope to not get too carried away and only do the things that are really useful). Current plans are:

1 Fit ATB diff (probably Peloquin) to help get the power down- this is a priority!
2 Fit stronger rods (probably leave the head standard for now to save cash)
3 Re-map to give full IHI potential after rod fitted (380 -390BHP?)
4 Replace clutch when it finally surrenders (still seems fine at the mo)
5 Probably fit a boost guage and maybe more flexible/programmable boost controller.

One thing I am wondering is if I will live with the Koni FSD set-up. Initially it seems very good - quite soft but well damped - but I have had problems with bottoming out on speed humps etc and more worryingly there seems to be a vagueness in the steering at high speeds (I do mean high ;)) and gentle motorway bends where my old LC was OK in the same situation. Actually I'm wondering if the tracking and/or camber were set-up correctly when the kit was fitted as it feels a bit "toed-in" to me. I will get the alignment looked at before passing further judgment - next job on the list.

cheers for now...:funk:

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i didn't realise aidy had sold it, i was going to ask him for a ride in it at the next cambs meet too :(

i've been in an IHI'd mk3 ibiza and that was ****-your-pants quick! :)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Depends on the full car spec but 380-390bhp on the IHI sounds quite high, what you need to do is plenty of investigation on is what boost levels you would be running and heat you will be generating. From what I have seen on here these turbo's don't react well to seriously high levels of heat.

Probably worth a Post for discussion in the Big Turbo section.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Interestingly it looked like the flange that Jabba had welded was blowing slightly and the flange was leaking :whistle: which wouldn't have been helping with the noise.
They do that, its a crappy 2 bolt style of flange which will always blow from the bottom. 3 bolt the way to go.

3 Re-map to give full IHI potential after rod fitted (380 -390BHP?)

Best budget for some replacement VF34's then if considering those power levels and boost req'd to get there.

IHI bearings wont thank you for it.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
vf34 will not flow 380bhp...end of story.It will however make 340bhp with 380lb/t.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Was going away to say, the IHI gurus wouldn't agree with the 380-390bhp claims. Wilko will have a heart attack when he reads this:lol:

360-370bhp maybe on jabbas rollers (optimistic), but from what ive heard through the various VAG forums is its a 350bhp max turbo.

All the best with it though mate and keep us informed of how your getting on:)

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
OK, maybe I was being optimistic with the power claims and expectations, but Songman is claiming 370BHP (on Jabbas rollers) but has modified head/valves, inlet manifold, aquamist etc.
I have a Jabba rolling road printout claiming 351BHP / 350 lb/ft at 1.6bar boost.
The more I think about it, it would be more of a reliability exercise in getting internals done rather than significantly more power or torque.

Anyway got the car measured on a computerised 4 wheel alignment rig (Protyre in Fareham) to see what was going on with the steering. As I had guessed it was way off with significant toe-in: -4.7 on the left and -1.2 on the right giving -5.9 in total! makes me wonder whether the tracking was ever checked after Jabba fitted the FSD's :shrug:. Anyway set back to zero (correct spec apparently) the car feels a lot better now, the vagueness and instability all but eliminated (may even put the power down a it better :D). Can only get even better once the Rosso's are swapped for the F1's to match the rear in a couple of k's time.

Wonder if this is the same problem with this LCR having read this thread?

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=119752

Also got my small front plate in the post today and must say I think it looks good, will start another thread with some pics! [B)]

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
Also wanted to add I seem to be getting surprisingly good fuel consumption from it.

Driving as per normal (enthusiatically with the odd blast) getting 320ish miles from first 2 tanks. A bit better than my old Revo'd LC (300ish per tank). :D

stewbie55

No longer a Newbie
Aug 12, 2006
vf34 will not flow 380bhp...end of story.It will however make 340bhp with 380lb/t.

Was going away to say, the IHI gurus wouldn't agree with the 380-390bhp claims. Wilko will have a heart attack when he reads this:lol:

360-370bhp maybe on jabbas rollers (optimistic), but from what ive heard through the various VAG forums is its a 350bhp max turbo.

All the best with it though mate and keep us informed of how your getting on:)

Well saw RobM was going to Janspeed in Salisbury for a dyno day this morning so thought i'd tag along.

Janspeed measure and quote wheel horsepower but were able to provide a conversion factor to calculate fly.

Rob's (almost) standard 210 cupra R made 185 BHP at the wheels which they calculated to 217 at the flywheel - seems about right and a good benchmark.

Three cars later mine went on and measured 316 at the wheels (did two consectutive runs with identical results each time - couldn't separate the lines). This calculated to 361 BHP at the flywheel :harhar:

Bear in mind also the weather was warmish compared to when it was setup at Jabba and I've also had a centre silencer fitted since I've had it. Was running Tesco99 BTW which always felt quickest in my LC.

Other cars there made pretty much as expected so reckon the readings were pretty accurate. There was a heavily modded Nissan Pulsar GTR whose owner was expecting 350-400 at the fly. Went on after mine and made 285 at the wheels :D

Respect to Jabba I say! :worship:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
As per my other post on this, Janspeed is a seriously impressive setup and their rollers were bang on the money each and every time! Every car, bar none, consistently made exactly the power they should do. They test each car twice too and for most cars, definitely in mine and Stewies case, the results were identical in every way both times :D

Nice one Stewie! Was good to meet you, and I'm glad your car is running well! It looks and sounds fantastic and the power is bang on! You definitely stole the day :D

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I got a couple of good ones today, including a couple on the rollers, I'll post those up later when I'm home (at Mrs' now) and I've got my card reader :)

lofer

Atlantis to Interzone
Apr 11, 2007
Holbeach
Well saw RobM was going to Janspeed in Salisbury for a dyno day this morning so thought i'd tag along.

Janspeed measure and quote wheel horsepower but were able to provide a conversion factor to calculate fly.

Rob's (almost) standard 210 cupra R made 185 BHP at the wheels which they calculated to 217 at the flywheel - seems about right and a good benchmark.

Three cars later mine went on and measured 316 at the wheels (did two consectutive runs with identical results each time - couldn't separate the lines). This calculated to 361 BHP at the flywheel :harhar:

Bear in mind also the weather was warmish compared to when it was setup at Jabba and I've also had a centre silencer fitted since I've had it. Was running Tesco99 BTW which always felt quickest in my LC.

Other cars there made pretty much as expected so reckon the readings were pretty accurate. There was a heavily modded Nissan Pulsar GTR whose owner was expecting 350-400 at the fly. Went on after mine and made 285 at the wheels :D

Respect to Jabba I say! :worship:

This is great news! Not many companies do TOTALLY CUSTOM maps like jabba!
:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members