jacking up the leon

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
going to pain the calipers on the motor tomorrow, got myself a trolley jack last weekend to do it but i want to get the car on blocks rather than just on the jack itself. where is the best place on the car to do this, on the same part of the chassis as the jack goes or somewhere else?

edit - also noticed the rails seem to have got a bit chewed up when i used the jack on sunday, is that normal as i don't want to cause problems if i have to use the jack in the boot for any reason

Last edited:

kev85

Mate im also planning to get my calipers painted in the near future too, cant wait! :shrug: Just soon as i get my mate to help me do it :D ...

Do the calipers have to be removed to paint them? I heard its not easy to take them out?

Sorry i have no idea about the jack, im sure someone can help with this :think:

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
the kit i have seems to indicate that you don't need to remove them, just to tape up the brake lines and ensure you just are careful with the paint

MrAd

I usually stick my trolley jack under the subframe mountings. not had any problems yet :)

kev85

the kit i have seems to indicate that you don't need to remove them, just to tape up the brake lines and ensure you just are careful with the paint

Excellent :D Where did you get your paint kit from mate? If it was Ebay which brand?

tgp_motorsport

A friend of mine did his the other day and the paint seems to be self smoothing. Just apply plenty of coats and take care with the brush, it should look mint. A small brush was supplied with his kit, pretty much fool proof. No need to remove the calipers to do this.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
If the subframe are those squarish beams, then I would not advise it, mine crushed in when I used them with my trolley jack. I now put it on the bolt at the end of the wishbone arm.

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Slightly OT, but just ordered a 2 tonne trolley jack and a pair of 2 tonne axle stands from Wickes online - not sure about the quality but can't argue with the price - £17 delivered!

Will see what they're like when they arrive :)

Teasy

Sep 1, 2007
Middlesbrough
I did mine last Summer & will again soon, its easy to do with them left in place, just as long as you dont have 12 Stellas the night before :cry:

Top tip, dont put the paint in a plastic container to work out of.....it'll melt the plastic & you'll have paint all over the floor :censored: but done mine red & they look [B)] and they dry in about an hour

chris285

leon mk1 fr tdi
Nov 26, 2004
lincoln, uk
I did mine last Summer & will again soon, its easy to do with them left in place, just as long as you dont have 12 Stellas the night before :cry:

Top tip, dont put the paint in a plastic container to work out of.....it'll melt the plastic & you'll have paint all over the floor :censored: but done mine red & they look [B)] and they dry in about an hour

got one half done, gotta spin the car round in a few mins to do the other side due to parents cars and narrowish drive i need to keep out the way

am giving it an hour and a half before putting each wheel on and it seems to be enough

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.