Jump starter

Mike90

hi

was considering getting one of those portable jumpstarters that can jump start a car without the use of another vehical, But it the jumpsatrting section of the manual it says you can blow electrical parts, presumably the ECU, if a larger battery is used.

the one I'm considering buying can give out 900amps, and was wondering if it is perfectly safe to use, although hopefully won't have to

thanks

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
why bother, just get a set of quality (thick) jump leads and connect them to one of your friends/neighbors cars if ever you need to

simple, cheep and less space needed

hon_n_gem

Candy White K1
Mar 22, 2006
Kent
www.auto-tuner.co.uk
errr i have one of those jumpstarters, however even after a full charge i couldnt get my mums BMW to tick over (sitting in the garage for about a month). Had to use jump leads, to be fair they are not worth the hassel, you have to charge them every month even if you havent used it, and after every jumpstart!

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
they are quite crap and take up more room than jump leads. I find my jump leads fit nicely around the spare wheel :D

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
errr i have one of those jumpstarters, however even after a full charge i couldnt get my mums BMW to tick over (sitting in the garage for about a month). Had to use jump leads, to be fair they are not worth the hassel, you have to charge them every month even if you havent used it, and after every jumpstart!

they are quite crap and take up more room than jump leads. I find my jump leads fit nicely around the spare wheel :D

If you buy those cheap yellow china shite jump starters that lots of companies sale for about £20 then yes they do need constant recharging and they still die are 5 seconds of turning a car over. If you buy a good charger which i have a Sealey RS1 which you can get for about £90 it will stay charges and you can turn a car over constantly for ages before it dies. Jump cables are ok unless like me you start work at a stupid time of the morning ( leave home 3.30 am ) or are stuck out in the middle of no where, plus a good jump starter you can start to turn the key on the dead car straight away without waiting for the battery to charge up.
Here is where i got mine.
http://www.tool-supplies.co.uk/sealey-tools.php/cPath/4_199/products_id/2201

Mike90

yea I've seen that one, might go for it, thanks for the link, cheapest i've seen it