K&N 57i induction Kit or K&N Panel filter?????

thekiddy

Hi All
I have a 54 reg Seat Leon FR 150 that has been remapped, it also has a stainless steel exhaust. Anyway when I bought the car it came with a K&N panel filter but I decided to change it to K&N 57i induction kit. Since then I've noticed that the exhaust seems to whistle more as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator. If im honest I also don't seem to have noticed any difference if anything it might seem a little slower. One thing I haven't connect up is the cold air intake pipe.. Is this the reason why it seems a bit more slower or it is just in my head. Any help or advice on which would be more suited please........
Im due to get my car rolling roaded this saturday so ideally I want the best suited filter in place for then.

I've always been told that the K&N 57i are a lot better than the panel filter but I may be wrong. I'm also going to design a heat shield for it providing I'm told the induction kit is better than the panel filter... Ive seen people suggest other filters but ive decided that im going to go with one of the 2 thats ive got..

Many Thanks

Craig

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
an open cone filter without any sort of cold air feed will just be sucking in the hot air from the engine bay. Higher intake temps = less power.

thekiddy

So providing the cold air intake is fitted will that mean the cone filter is better than the panel filter....

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
in terms of maximum air intake a cone will be better yes as there is less restriction. but its more susceptible to water getting in and heat.

Stock will be better for response, resistance to heat soak and moisture etc.

neither of these as k&n filters are maf destroyers due to the oil present in the filter itself

if your gonna go down this route i suggest goin for a dry filter

i'm already looking at an alternative to the k&n my car came with when i bought it

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
neither of these as k&n filters are maf destroyers due to the oil present in the filter itself

if your gonna go down this route i suggest goin for a dry filter

i'm already looking at an alternative to the k&n my car came with when i bought it

I dont believe this theory to be honest. I think it probably came about from people over oiling their filters during cleaning. K&N are a very big, very successfull company, and i'm sure they know what they're are doing.

I bought a K&N for mine and i'm not worried about it killing my MAF.

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
I dont believe this theory to be honest. I think it probably came about from people over oiling their filters during cleaning. K&N are a very big, very successfull company, and i'm sure they know what they're are doing.

I bought a K&N for mine and i'm not worried about it killing my MAF.
please, please do a small research before you tell things like this.
the company being big has nothing to do with the products they are selling.
I know, it is a Seat forum, but please have a look at this site: max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/intake/intake.htm#pressuredropgalore
put www in front of it.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Thats a very interesting read gemini.

certainly raises a few questions. It won't go down well with some on here :lol:

thats a very good read

i would defo consider goin back to a stock airbox, generally derestrictiing the standard box, i.e smoothing out all the bumps, larger intake, sees better gains than fitting an aftermarket system.

i had this done with my pd150 mk4 golf and was great

turbin

this again.. ? Ive used KN cone in different cars for 5yrs +. Never any maf problems. PPl over oil them and that leads to problems. Hand a monkey a hammer and he will brake something for sure...

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
I should have made it clearer, my above post was purely my opinion and people should research the matter themselves before choosing a filter.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
I bouht a K&N 57i kit for my Cupra R, and i personally found the car more hesitant and less respsonsive on the lower gears. i'm now using a performance panel filter in the stock air box.

i've had K&N's in the past and they have been pretty good, but on my Cupra R, i didn't feel any improvement.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
this again.. ? Ive used KN cone in different cars for 5yrs +. Never any maf problems. PPl over oil them and that leads to problems. Hand a monkey a hammer and he will brake something for sure...

Agree. Never heard of a maf dying on a brand new oiled filter, only after a re-oil following cleaning.

Vibration is a bigger maf killer apparently. Probably due to badly supported open cones.

JamJay

California Bound
As good an excuse as any. Not really sure about how effective they are in keeping temps down but anything keeping muck off the filter and supporting the maf has got to be a good thing.

To be honest, I think it blocks a little of the heat coming from the turbo side but not alot. I have moved my filter into the wing now anyway and it's freezing cold all the time that I am driving, noticeably cooler than it's original position on the MAF. The shield has just become an oversized support that looks good, it's mighty solid and keeps everything from vibrating so it's staying :)

turbin

A good way to check the heat-shield is to drive a while, get the engine / turbo temp way up there! Then pull over, double time up front and put your hand on the cone.