K&N 57i Induction Kit Question

steffers

Jun 19, 2009
chippenham
Hello,

After compiling a shopping list for my LCR that made my bank account cry, i decided to stop thinking about modifying and keep the car as standard as possible.

However the other week, while looking into the engine bay, my friend said:

'If i had this car i would be modifying it left right and centre'

So here i am. I bought a K&N 57i induction kit which should be arriving very soon.

My question is for those who have this kit, or a similar one, do you:

A. Have a heat shield fitted (If so were did you get it from)
B. Have a cold air feed to it

With the Cold air feed how have you done this? The idea i was thinking is the common feed from the fog light housing in the front bumper. However with this what happens when the ducting gets to the cone?

If anyone has any pictures of either the heat shield or cold air feed that would be fantastic, and all your help is greatly appreciated.

This is only the first in a long range of mod's that i want to do, im worried at what i have started :D

Many thanks

Stefan

JamJay

California Bound
Hi Stefan, I have a shield with mine but it came as part of the kit. I'm not totally convinced that it does a great deal in keeping the filter cool but it certainly helps block out some heat from the turbo. When I first got the kit, I fitted the filter directly onto the MAF sensor housing and I must say that the filter stayed really rather warm throughout all journeys, I wasn't impressed. I then set to work on a new cold air feed which ran air directly from the front headlight grille which helped keep the filter a little cooler but I still wasn't happy. So instead, I bought a coupler and spacer to move the filter further from the MAF sensor and into the wing, this has made a massive improvement! The filter is now stone cold all the time (except when idling of course) and the car seems alot happier.

Personally I wouldn't worry about shields right now, get yourself an 80mm spacer and silicone coupler and relocate the filter close to to the wing. Your OE air feed might not allow you to do this though, in which case you need to remove it and replace it with some ducting. My air feed is completely custom so you'll not replicate it which is a shame as it very effective but try a similar method using some cheap neoprene ducting perhaps. An alternate/the most common route is to try and locate the feed into the lower grille with the foglight but this can be tricky and requires you to cut some plastic shielding behind the headlamp to allow a path for it.

Image166.jpg

IMG00071-20100123-1132.jpg

jetex12.jpg

Last edited:

wayne lcr

bored of it now
Mar 5, 2009
doncaster
also if your making your own cold air feed you will not be able to locate to the fog lights becose of the side mount intercoolers if you do a search there loads on cold feeds.the only way you will get a good size feed is to get a fmic.

steffers

Jun 19, 2009
chippenham
Thanks JamJay for the reply.

Waited to get home so i can see pictures (stupid work filter rubbish).

Have to say yours looks top banana, can i ask where you acquired your 80mm spacer and silicone coupler from, and price if possible?

im on your RR thread now so see what ideas i can hijack from you.

I was wondering how much difference a shield makes, saw someone paid £65 just for a heat shield which seems a bit extortionate if it doesn't do much.

many thanks

JamJay

California Bound
Thanks JamJay for the reply.

Waited to get home so i can see pictures (stupid work filter rubbish).

Have to say yours looks top banana, can i ask where you acquired your 80mm spacer and silicone coupler from, and price if possible?

im on your RR thread now so see what ideas i can hijack from you.

I was wondering how much difference a shield makes, saw someone paid £65 just for a heat shield which seems a bit extortionate if it doesn't do much.

many thanks

No worries & thanks :D. I just updated my build, a few people have asked where I got the bits & I kept forgetting to share. Anyway...

Feel free to rob ideas from my build, as your's is the right colour, i'll let you off!

£65 is alot for a piece of shiney metal so try this way first and see what results that you get. I may be wrong, the shield might be doing a great deal more than I think but i've never removed it to compare results without. I think it makes a good job of trapping the cold air from the air feed in around the filter though which is a bonus.

steffers

Jun 19, 2009
chippenham
Oh rite, thanks for letting me know :), £15 seems a lot more reasonable.

Im definately going to go for the option that JamJay has given me, but if i can get a shield for £15 ish i might try some testing and see what results i can get.

JamJay

California Bound