Key Fob dead after battery change

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Changed batteries (CR2025) in both key fobs after low battery warnings. Both keys completely dead, although batteries are new. Put old batteries back in - fine, apart from low battery warnings. Tried new ones again - dead. Old ones in - fine. Tried new batteries from a different set - also dead. Old ones fine. Am I doing something wrong? Or a pairing issue, but don’t get that if the old batteries work.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Sounds like an issue with the new batteries If the originals still work. There are lots of fake batteries on sale - especially if bought online. Also, some online batteries have a short expiry date, so may be past their best even when they’re new.

Worth buying another set of batteries - I‘d suggest you buy them locally, so if there’s an issue with them then it’s easy to return them for either a refund or replacements.

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Thanks for the thoughts. Batteries are Duracell, bought this week from two different Wilco stores. Expiry date said to be 2032. Sadly, I don’t have any different kit to try out the batteries in something else.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
I've had this happen. Definitely try some more branded quality batteries from a reputable supplier. Some new batteries when tested with a multi-meter will show the full voltage you would expect but still not work in your key fob. Weird I know.

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Thanks, Mr Mustard. Helps to know I am not alone! I’ll buy some different cells tomorrow (probably Energiser, which are my current ones near the end of their life) and report back.

rafletcher

Feb 18, 2021
Try and shoe-horn in a 2032 (I did). The 2025 is marginal at the best o& times, the 2932 is much better suited. There’s a YouTube video I can never find except by accident that goes into the technical detail of why, but the 2025 doesn’t support the necessary current draw for long - or with some batteries not at all as you’ve discovered.

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Thanks, rafletcher.
Yes, I had read about using a 2032. I gave this a go, but with no success.
I have always I used 2025 and, although I can’t remember that far back, I assume the keys had them fitted when I bought my Leon new.
I will now try some different 2032s tomorrow, along with 2025s. If neither work, I will be off to the dealers. Probably better than opening a second-hand battery shop, which is becoming a danger 😂

Attachments

• 1671028011649.png
    1671028011649.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 74

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Oops, sorry for the weird attachment. My granddaughter, very much into unicorns, added one just before I posted!

• Haha
Reactions: Walone

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Thanks for the thoughts. Batteries are Duracell, bought this week from two different Wilco stores. Expiry date said to be 2032. Sadly, I don’t have any different kit to try out the batteries in something else.
I know this sounds stupid, but have you taken off the protective sticker that Duracell puts on their batteries these days?
It's easy to miss - ask me how I know:rolleyes:

Reactions: Walone and SRGTD

dsr

Nov 1, 2014
Norwich
Oh, oh dear…. rolls into a ball and hides in the corner. Having not used Duracell for years is no excuse. If ever you are Norwich way, Seriously?, I most definitely owe you a pint. Now to buy a book on “Avoiding Stupidity”.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I know this sounds stupid, but have you taken off the protective sticker that Duracell puts on their batteries these days?
It's easy to miss - ask me how I know:rolleyes:
Alright then, I’ll ask…………..how do you know? 🤣

I was fortunate enough to spot it when I needed to change my key fob battery a few weeks ago, but agree, it is quite easy to miss. For me, the hardest part of changing the fob battery was getting the new battery out of the packaging!

Reactions: Seriously?

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Oh, oh dear…. rolls into a ball and hides in the corner. Having not used Duracell for years is no excuse. If ever you are Norwich way, Seriously?, I most definitely owe you a pint. Now to buy a book on “Avoiding Stupidity”.
I shouldn't laugh but that did make me chuckle! I actually fitted a new Duracell 2032 in my kitchen scales tonight (baking some banana bread on a Wednesday night - as you do). I had to fight the `child-proof` packaging to get it out and initially forgot to take the sticker off.

You are not alone....

Reactions: Seriously?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I've always worked on the basis that even if you feel stupid, 9 times out of 10 you're not the only one.😃
And what is going on with packaging these days? I'm all for stuff being 'child friendly', but it's all taken a bit far when you need the power of a small thermonuclear device to break into the flippin' things.
Don't even start me on those stupid boxes of Ariel Washing Pods 🤬
But I think the best packaging I ever witnessed was that which comprehensively imprisoned a pair of kitchen scissors I bought a few years ago.
After wrestling with it for some time, my brain melted when I noticed the instruction on the outside " To open packaging, use scissors" :wtf::stars:

• Haha
Reactions: martin j. and Bob

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
Ha !
I have been looking for a chance to post my new found knowledge on here as I had all the same issues with genuine Duracell's
Came across a post on a USA site re this on for some Apple i tags.
All our same issues. Not working.
Geniuine Quality batteries. (They said Duracell) have a micro coating of Bittrex to stop children eating them. It stops gentle contacts from cutting through the coating to the terminals and so working. The advice was not use Duracell!!
Various suggestions from brutal (Scratching the battery terminals with a screw driver) to a gentle abrasive or polishing.
BINGO
ALL works again.
BONKERS AND BIZZARE
Hope that helps.
Cheers Andy

Fishbowlhead

Mk3 CupraST 280
Nov 20, 2020
Don’t forget to bend the contacts up inside the keyfob as well, this is common for them to get compressed down over time causing the contact on the battery to be poor or intermittent. Had this on both my fobs and my partners nissan as well.

Mr Mustard

Jan 24, 2015
South East
I'm already getting the 'replace battery' warning after only about 10 months since replacement.
I would have expected longer than that. Will see if I can cram in a CR2032.