Key Fob

tsmiggy

Feb 12, 2007
Leicestershire
When my wife purchased her Arona, a couple of months ago, one of the Key Fobs was faulty. They said they would order one, and now they say it is on back order. Is this something i can sort.

We had a scare the other day, and being without a spare, is worrying. What would i need to get, and being the car, is still under warranty, until January. could this be programmed at any Seat Dealership

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
Any Seat dealer should be able to do it if they can lay their hands on a spare. Apart from changing the battery I haven't tried the other procedures in the manual.

If it's a Kessy you have the emergency way of getting in which you might want to read up on just in case. The Ateca has a battery saving mode in the car of closing down the passenger side entry Kessy aeriel... but given the Arona only has Kessy on one side you might not hit that one. Ateca you walk round and hold the drivers handle and all is good.

The manual says you can have five spare keys.
Screenshot_20201228-155706.png

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
More like a 6-12 months. They are more high maintenance since they receive and transmit. Receive all the time whilst your bog standard remote just transmits when you press the button.

The heavy duty battery on the newer Seat Kessy remotes has more storage capacity to the original (cr2032 v cr2025). Forced mod thread on that, an old Skoda trick to get the higher capacity battery into a unit to replace cr2025 with a cr2032.

Stick to Duracells rather than cheaper one or near dated batteries.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Save money - Change the batteries yourself.

Daughter just took our SEAT out for a run, battery failed while she was out and robbing dogs TIMPSONS charged her £15 quid to change it!

By the way, our KESSY keyfobs both died at 18/19 months from brand new, and the next time, described above, after about another 20 months.

Tell

Staff member
Save money - Change the batteries yourself.

Daughter just took our SEAT out for a run, battery failed while she was out and robbing dogs TIMPSONS charged her £15 quid to change it!

By the way, our KESSY keyfobs both died at 18/19 months from brand new, and the next time, described above, after about another 20 months.

Yep you just need a suitable screwdriver to give the twist to leaver the case open and a bradawl to top the battery out. As the first videos on the link, second he uses his thumbs, pass on that.

If you do the 2032 hack in a 2025 remote you use the bradawl to hold the battery in place just as you clip it down using the case. The old Skoda trick that got Kessy before Seat. Practical Skoda people :unsure:.

Mine are good for about two years but as you say the first ones from new were shorter. They were Panasonics. The voltage across the pin is useful to take as a check (as per the link), but isn't the bee all and end all. You can get a respectable voltage but if the battery is duff it can't deliver the charge. W = V x A physics.

3.2 volts is a new battery and the car / VCDS starts to moan at 3 volts... but then you can get a battery which is new but unused showing 3.2 volts and it won't work since its knackered. Happens if you have a blister pack and they are long in the tooth. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.