Knocking at front when braking *fixed*

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Kincardineshire, scotland
Hello all. I am getting a knocking whilst I am braking. Or coming down a hill at 10 mph lightly braking. It doesn't matter if its in or out of gear etc. Took the wheel off and everything looked ok. No stones etc visible. Does not do it whilst driving just when braking. It had new discs and pads just before I bought it. Any one else had this? My car has done 18k and is a 57 reg so still in warrenty. It's going in a week on Monday for a few other things. Cheers

** the noise is actually happening while coasting below 10 mph and it's a constant knock/ rattle until it's stopped even without braking! Driveshaft or possibly cv joint related?

Last edited:

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
It sounds like a brake inbalance or the brakes discs could have got really hot and warped! Get them to have a look when it goes in is the best bet.

Jamie

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
I had a vibration/knocking develop at cold idle and low speed while in (DSG box) reverse, turned out to be a brake pipe which had popped its clip according to the Stealer.
Not sure if in the engine bay or the front suspension area but all cured now.

Last edited:

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
It's only become worse now cause I have heard it but it happens whilst coasting below 10 mph. Clutch in or out makes no difference. In or out of gear makes no difference. 2 weeks into this car!

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I get this when braking, turning or going up and down a slight incline, i'm pretty sure its the drivers door moving ever so slightly, Seat are replacing the seal next week to see if thats the problem :)

Danny.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I get what I assume is brake pads moving - noise happends like a bang/click when braking in reverse.

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
That would be one knock in each direction? This is a constant noise which would either be a certain part of the brakes hitting the same point every rotation or something that is knocking but road surface doesn't make any difference. No noise is audible at higher speeds.

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Possibly. But that would be more of a road surface dependant etc. This happens on the smoothest of roads. I will maybe try and get it up in the air before it goes into the dealer a week on Monday.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Possibly. But that would be more of a road surface dependant etc. This happens on the smoothest of roads. I will maybe try and get it up in the air before it goes into the dealer a week on Monday.

Knowing your circumstances, I think that would be worthwhile.

LeonFR07DSG

Aug 15, 2008
Hertfordshire
i get knocking when braking after having my ferodos fitted. only when ive heated them up nicely though:whistle: doesnt feel odd... and have no problems when braking when it does happen so not really worried about it

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Wheel bearing could be a good shout. It could be more of a creaking noise also as I was able to slow it down tonight. Will have a good look this week and point it out to the dealers when it's in.

Sio_08

do you brake harsh and heavily?if so then your pads might be on the way out and the metal is rubbing against the brake disc also it might be a good idea to check your hub bolts make sure they are tight and check lower arms and ball joints.

dav

SEAT owner no more...
Feb 2, 2006
Brake discs and pads have about 600 miles on them. Will get it on the atl at work and try that I think. Cheers

Oh and I don't brake heavy or harsh at all, haven't even drove it that hard yet!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.