KO4 large bore tip comparison thread

cupra_r_ick

Jan 29, 2011
Right boys and girls, after much debate about all the tips available. Heres the score.
I have used all three large bore TIPS currently on the market (4/7/2012)

Before i start i must point out that im not loyal to any of the providers of any of the tips.
I have no moral issues with buying the cms tip over b5 v2, because quite simply, i would much rather the £80 in my pocket than Bills. I am not one of Bills loyal followers that people seem to hate on when it comes to review on his tip. However i do appreciate his knowledge and commitment to the scene (if thats what you want to call it) I am not a silicone engineer or what ever, so things will be refereed to as squidgy and hard lol

1. SFS 3" tip
  2. Creation motor sport 80mm tip
  3. Badger 5 80mm tip

All have been fitted to my car whilst it has been the same spec with out any other mods ATALL.
Cant comment on the increase over standard tip only VS each other. Dont have logs saved on computer so cant post them but this is my opinion.
  • Stage 1 custom remap by (are)tech.
  • "welly" cooler FMIC
  • bastadised miltek/custom cat back exhaust sytem
  • pipercross cone filter with heat shield
  • 007p and n249 bypass

SFS 3" tip
scaled.php

The first tip i changed to was the sfs tip, which i bought as part of the amd group buy, so had it pretty much as soon as it came out.
this felt good. it made a VERY healthy stage 1 figure of 272 ftlbs/bhp and pulled very hard. Held power well threw the rev range, and never felt starved of air atall.
SFS tip fitted like a glove I had 3 in total (LOL!!) just threw changing colours as couldnt make my mind up. and each one fitted spot on and req no cutting atall with my heatshield and filter set up. as you can see in the above photo and when compared to the rest, the angles are different to the other two.
The quality of the tip felt good. it was very rigid and well supported. one of my mate commented that parts of it looked "messy" but who cares once its fitted and none of it is noticed. Worth noting the sfs tip doesnt/didnt come with jubliess to fit. So once youve added some good high grip ones it bumps the price up a tad. this wasnt a worry as i already had some. worth noting that the sfs tip comes in well, pretty much any colour as opposed to competitors blue red or black.
the scoring is in comparison to each other
the prices i will list are RRP.

Verdict
  • ease of fit 10/10
  • quality/structure 7/10 (hose is spot on but cant compare to alloy adapters)
  • value for money 7/10 (no clips etc no adapter [which would vastly increase costs]
  • performance 8/10
CM 80mm tip
scaled.php

scaled.php

Instantly you could feel the quality of this tip was not up to that of the SFS tip. it felt "squidgy" and very soft. was IMHO not even close to the quality of the sfs tip.
this didnt put me off so i decided to fit it. Sh!t the bed. No chance of it fitting.
The angles were wrong, lengths wrong, and ports for n75 etc in the wrong places.
The billet adapter was simply to tight to fit on the turbo with out persuasion which i wasnt a fan of, so it went on as far as i could push it by hand.
the issues i had were that the tip wanted to come up at the wrong angle, and as the adapter wouldnt fit, and the wrong angles both led to the tip simply not fitting. the port for the dv etc was too far away, and had to bend the pipe back on itself to make it connect. which in turn put a big kink in it. I didnt want to cut it encase i wanted to send it back. (which i am/have) at this pointi was pi$$ed off and just wanted it on so i could drive my car.
Performance wise it felt, in fairness, the same as the sfs tip, given its increase in size and billet adapter i was expecting at least a noticeable increase in performance. there was none. dont get me wrong, didnt make the car slow, just wasnt right, to end of rpm did feel starved compared to the sfs tip
the tip does come with jubilees to fit with (sh!t ones but its the thought that counts)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

although the product was abit of a fail in fairness CM customer services on the other hand are not. They are top notch guys/gals who answer any questions you have, email you back fast, and offered to fit it for me, but i know how to fit a tip, and this didnt fit. again the CM team are top notch customer service wise, and i will try more of their hoses. they also offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so its worth a shot .

Verdict
  • ease of fit 0/10
  • quality/structure 4/10 (hose is weak/shat and adapter is [compared to bills] shat)
  • value for money 4/10 (if it fitted would have been an 10)
  • performance 5/10

Badger 5 V2 tip
right. first things first. the cm tip is a blatant copy of bills tip. ports are the same, shame is ALMOST identical. but the thing that differs the most and makes it fit right is the adapter to the turbo.
instantly this product is superior quality to the cm tip. the billet piece is a smoother transition and feels better quality. the tip itself is sturdy as a house, extremely rigid and supported.
ill start with comparison pictures of the two tips
scaled.php

b5 on the left
scaled.php

b5 right
imag0424u.jpg

b5 at bottom
scaled.php

b5 left
scaled.php

as you can see the b5 adapter fits like a glooooooove. there is a seamless transition from the adapter to turbo, where the cm one was meh at best.
scaled.php

scaled.php

badger 5 right
scaled.php

b5 top
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

b5 right

ok b5 v2. The adapter fits flawlessly, it is simply awesome. The tip is a sod to fit at best, any one who says it fits straight is a liar. thing is though, unlike the cm, it does fit.
I had to trim the turbo end, the maf end, and all ports, not an issues, just fiddly, and time consuming. once fitted there is no kinks, and the pipe is SOLID
the b5 tip also comes with high grip clips, which is what i use, so im glad i have some
spares. once finally fitted, and on road test, its clear this is the best performing tip out there. pulls like a train, sounds amazing, is so smooth and feels great even at the top of rpm range. the increase volume and billet adapter are a noticeable improvement over the sfs.
Dont get me wrong, this is the dearest tip, so you would expect it to be the best, and in fairness to Bill it is. in terms of quality and performance this tip is second to none.
scaled.php

scaled.php
scaled.php

Verdict
  • ease of fit 5/10
  • quality/structure 10/10
  • value for money 9/10 (it is dearer but the quality is there) clips provided are of high quality etc
  • performance 10/10

hope this helps you guys who want to buy a tip soon.
To summarise.
As it stands leave the CM tip alone. IMHO you cant go wrong with either the sfs or bills tip. Unless your after every ounce of power id get the sfs. if you want THE BEST its bills. I was more than happy with the sfs tip, but after the CM failure i had to upgrade, as im not loosing money to have the same as what i had before.

People complain about the cost of bills tip, but once you have that adapter and the hose in your hand you see where to costs are. It genuinley is worth the money, in fairness its rrp is only 20/30 more than the sfs. bills tip is the god of tips currently, and deserves its price tag

If the CM tip fitted it would be the best value for money, cheapest and would be as close to bills as a nats ****. but the quality simply isnt there. you can tell its just bills tip copied, and cheapend. (is that a word) ?

the sfs tip is a really good bit of kit. the quality of the hose is excellent and fitting it is a piece of cake, especially compared to that of bills. well worth the money, but let down by smaller volume and turbo / hose transition

Any one thinking of buying a tip ? DONT
i have it on good authority that bill is releasing 2 more tips. A v2.2 which is a remake of the v2 to ease fitment, and a v3, an all in one tip to reduce costs, like that of sfs offerings.

Also, CM are to release a new range of tips soon, specific to the s3, tt and lcr, and two different (large bore) versions of each.
If you can wait, wait and see what bill and cm offer in the future.

Much lovee

Last edited:

blackmagic20vt

Apr 1, 2007
Excellent mate top review just what I was waiting to see before I made a purchase. On the quality side where are the down sides on the various tips as the thickness looks identical side by side i.e the silicone ply looks the same on all three..

Last edited:

cupra_r_ick

Jan 29, 2011
the pictures dont do it justice (it being bills) both bills and the sfs are thicker than cm it doesnt show in the photos but it is quite significant . cm feels like its made of cloth, i dont know if its a matter of reinforcement (maybe bill could clarify on this?) bit honestly, you can tell where they saved money on it compared to bills.
bills and sfs are very tough, youd struggle to bend and kink them and they just generally feel great quality. CM simply doesnt. people are worried about standard tips collapsing. the cm wont erase that fear, especially if its flowing the much more air ?

As it stands IMHO you currently have 2 options, bills or sfs.
but as i said, i would wait if i were you.

Last edited:

sambryant

RoadRunner meep meep
Mar 26, 2009
Bristol
Great write up rick. Have to say the cm tip looks piss poor compared to b5. Even from the pictures the cm tip looks very soft and is much thinner than the b5 silicone. I totally agree with this review apart from one thing, my sfs tip did not fit my car but may be a one off, so in my eyes and my experence it scores 0 out of 10 for fitment. the cm tip is just a waste of £100. Still loving my B5 v1 tho, no plans to change. It will fit any setup. I can certainly see the + and - over the sfs and b5 v2. The b5 v2 tip is the winner for me, far better design than the sfs and to me its worth the extra as the quality can not be matched.

cupra_r_ick

Jan 29, 2011
your sfs was defo a 1 off sam, no question about it, the end was just fecked. all of my sfs were spot on

antony-lcr

That badger 5 billet has been modified since the first v2's as my v2 the billet is roughly the same size as the creation one, yours looks twice the length ( the bit that the silicon hose goes over) I wonder if that was to stop the silicon tip coming adrift?

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
That badger 5 billet has been modified since the first v2's as my v2 the billet is roughly the same size as the creation one, yours looks twice the length ( the bit that the silicon hose goes over) I wonder if that was to stop the silicon tip coming adrift?

I improved the taper geometry for slightly better performance, which in turn made the billet longer, which has the side effect of more for the hose to sit on... but it already had plenty to sit on before when installed correctly.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
I improved the taper geometry for slightly better performance, which in turn made the billet longer, which has the side effect of more for the hose to sit on... but it already had plenty to sit on before when installed correctly.
It looks a valuable improvement Bill. Increasing the length of the billet adapter and reducing the collection angle makes for a more focused air collection and direction. The additional mass to secure the TIP to can only help the installation.
Great to see your continually improving the design. I honestly think that the increase in TIP csa is only half the contributing factor to the good gains seen, an equal part to the worth of the gains is down to the means of collecting and directing the flow into the turbo which is what your adapter does excellently. :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.