Lambro's Black 1.2 MK4 5DR Ibiza...:D

Just got the driver's footwell in as well.

Couldn't be bothered to do the passenger's side. Too bloody cold, and dark! Wish I had a garage, haha.

Will get some photo's up when I finish it.

Note to self: Definitely need a glovebox light. And I definitely need to wire all these LED's to the interior light, or my car is going to end up like a Christmas tree! :cartman:

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
Glovebox lights are such effort.... I bought the parts then thought ahh sod it!

You have to take the power from the cigarette lighter, meaning no charging for you! I ended up buying a circular LED panel that sticks to the top of my glovebox and I just press it to turn it on.

Fitted the lights in now! :p

And Chris, I was thinking of wiring them up to the dimmer switch (like my footwell's), except with a breaker switch, so when the glovebox opens, the circuit is broken, and the lights turn on. Haven't thought of what the breaker could be yet. I don't want to be drilling any holes, so I'm not entirely sure.

Oh yeah, got my footwell's done as well. You can't see the middle one fully, because the cigarette thingy is open. I have yet to hardwire the Aircast thing, so it's still sucking power off the cigarette lighter.

img0568u.png

[Post=3604909]Back to Contents[/Post]

Last edited:
Mini-update, bigger one coming on the weekend.
So far, AG ITR & EGP has arrived, along with 1 out of 2 Meguiars Mitts.
I put the SMD bulb in the car, unbelievably good!

And today, it was man V flip key half.

Step 1: Heat it up till it burns, and pry apart.
img05401b.jpg

Step 2: Put it in a bath of kettle hot soap
img05371.jpg

Step 3: Fill it with acetone, and dip it in a bath of acetone
img05391b.jpg

Step 4: Buy another case because Step 1, 2 & 3 are useless.

Step 5) Hand the top half to Mr.Persuasion (a.k.a Dad, equipped with vice, hammer, and multiple screw drivers), allow to work for 10 minutes, then collect key back in 2 halves.

Wish he did this before I bought another case, haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you buff without a DA thing?

Well here's what happened:

11-12:30 = Wash & Dry the car. Went really well. 2BM, great.

12:30-12:45 = Went and bought the clay I ordered (Meguiars Quick Clay Kit)

12:45-1:00 = ITR the car. Not sure if I did it right. I just put some liquid on a microfiber cloth every 15 seconds, wiping it on the car, all the way round. It started to go white, and then I rinsed it all off.

1:00-2:00 = Wash and dry the car again. Note: microfiber mitt was always clean, unlike the first time, evident that I actually cleaned the car.

2:00-4:00 = Clay the car. This went great, felt like glass, but still not all the shine I was after, hoped it would come later. Also starting to get really cold (0 - 2 degrees). I used the whole lubricant spray on the car, haha.

4:00-5:00 = This is where it went down hill, polishing. I bought Meguiars foam pads yesterday, hoping they would be the right tool for the job.
I did the roof, that looked pretty good (circular motions across the top, followed by straight motions, back and forth, following the grain of the paint, finally drying with a microfiber cloth.
Then I went about doing the pillars, and the pad started going grey, with grey polish coming out of it.
I didn't think much of it, hoping it was normal, so I did the whole car.
At this point, the car had looked better before polishing, as opposed to before polishing.

I was going to polish it again, then seal it, then wax it, but it was way to cold, and I lost hope after that layer of polish, so I thought I'd save it for a brighter day. But I would still have to wax it, or I'd ruin all my work.

So I gave it the fastest wax ever seen, 10 minutes. It was also the worst wax. I went outside 10 minutes after my wax, and the wax had ruined the reflection, so I'm really gutted.

Next time though, I think I'll be using a machine polisher if someone can justify they actually work!

Please tell me where I've gone wrong. :(

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
DA (Dual Action) Polishers seem to do a brilliant job, when combined with the correct pads and polish. Quite expensive though compared to hand polishing, but gives so much better results.

I havent got one (or even used one) but Im going to buy one when Spring arrives, to get my car swirl free and remove some scratches, for show season. Theres plenty of tutorials and info on them on Detailing World.

Aug 31, 2010
Lurgan, Northern Ireland
Also, with the foam pad clogging up, Id say your using too much polish.
Sometimes wax does reduce the gloss/shine that the polish has added, think it depends what wax you use but Im not too sure tbh.

Thanks for the advice mate, I think I'll be having a look into DA's for the spring as well.

And yeah, maybe I was using to much polish. :/

As for the wax, I didn't have time to apply it properly, I literally went over a panel with a bit of the wax on a new cloth, in circular motions. Then went over the panel in straight lines with another piece. And the coat is not even. :/ I may give it a quick wipe over tomorrow.

Jordanwaterhous

Motorsport > Scene
Sep 15, 2009
Leeds
www.facebook.com
Can you buff without a DA thing?

Well here's what happened:

11-12:30 = Wash & Dry the car. Went really well. 2BM, great.

12:30-12:45 = Went and bought the clay I ordered (Meguiars Quick Clay Kit)

12:45-1:00 = ITR the car. Not sure if I did it right. I just put some liquid on a microfiber cloth every 15 seconds, wiping it on the car, all the way round. It started to go white, and then I rinsed it all off.

1:00-2:00 = Wash and dry the car again. Note: microfiber mitt was always clean, unlike the first time, evident that I actually cleaned the car.

2:00-4:00 = Clay the car. This went great, felt like glass, but still not all the shine I was after, hoped it would come later. Also starting to get really cold (0 - 2 degrees). I used the whole lubricant spray on the car, haha.

4:00-5:00 = This is where it went down hill, polishing. I bought Meguiars foam pads yesterday, hoping they would be the right tool for the job.
I did the roof, that looked pretty good (circular motions across the top, followed by straight motions, back and forth, following the grain of the paint, finally drying with a microfiber cloth.
Then I went about doing the pillars, and the pad started going grey, with grey polish coming out of it.
I didn't think much of it, hoping it was normal, so I did the whole car.
At this point, the car had looked better before polishing, as opposed to before polishing.

I was going to polish it again, then seal it, then wax it, but it was way to cold, and I lost hope after that layer of polish, so I thought I'd save it for a brighter day. But I would still have to wax it, or I'd ruin all my work.

So I gave it the fastest wax ever seen, 10 minutes. It was also the worst wax. I went outside 10 minutes after my wax, and the wax had ruined the reflection, so I'm really gutted.

Next time though, I think I'll be using a machine polisher if someone can justify they actually work!

Please tell me where I've gone wrong. :(

As mentioned it sounds like you must have used too much, as long as the cloth has enough on it that you can see the polish on the car.

You want like a blob the size of the end of your thumb on the cloth/pad per panel.

Wax is a bit of a sod at this time of year, the warmer the better.

Well at least it has some protection now, you'll just need to wash it again before you seal it.

I'd just give it another go with the wax and leave it for 30 mins and then wipe it off.

Video: i thought you had a DA sorry! All you need to do without one it wipe it as if you were cleaning a kitchen work top!

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
Use several pea size blobs per panel, small circular motions with reasonable pressure. You're aiming to remove thin layers of lacquer, so don't be a pansy with the pressure!

Wait until the polish dries to a haze (15-20mins), buff off. Best to do this 2-3 times, leaving a few mins per layer.

For the fk1000p, you have to apply VERY thin layers or it will not buff off without a lot of work. It'll be a bitch at 0-2C anyway!

Thanks guys, and yeah, too much polish! :( I'll have another go next week, when I come back from my trip to Geneva...

Also, just been messing about with some quotes on Aviva for next year....
I can't get insured on an Ibiza 1.9TDi 130, but I can get insured on BMW 320d 150......The only reason I can think of, is because a 19 year old with a BMW wouldn't treat it like a ****? Who knows.

BMW next year would be amazing. Took my dads 320d for a spin, and I fell in love. Then I jumped back in my car, and just thought, I can't wait for my no claims bonus, haha. :p

ha2020

Nov 17, 2011
Leeds
Just a tiddly update:

Installed the Cupra Vent switches! Although, I now need Red vent rings. Can I get these from dave@Sere?

I put in an 8 LED bulb, in the interior.
It turned out blue, and dimmer than the old bulb!!! So I've ordered a 16-SMD one, hopefully should do the job.

Also installed the Aux for the Alana. Which I then hooked up to the Belkin Aircast - Wireless heaven! I'm loving it.

Here's a photo, excuse the quality, and excuse the mess, but I'm uploading from my phone and through tapatalk, and the car is in need of a good clean, and sorting out. :(

5ad4bd70-903b-b4c9.jpg
5ad4bd70-9048-f853.jpg
5ad4bd70-905c-d89b.jpg

Is there any chance you could tell where you got that aux for Alana player?
Also does that let you play like iPod or iPhone directly though the stereo ?

Also just looked at your entire thread haha and it's coming along so good !

Is there any chance you could tell where you got that aux for Alana player?
Also does that let you play like iPod or iPhone directly though the stereo ?

Also just looked at your entire thread haha and it's coming along so good !

Aux Cable I bought.
Yeah, you just plug the end of the aux into your iPod. But I have mine wired up to a Belkin Aircast, so it connects to my iPhone via Bluetooth when I get in the car, and it plays music like that.

Must have been a boring read, I haven't done much. :p

cars coming along really nicely
but does your interior light go off when its not on or just goes dull ?

Thanks, it does have a little glow when off, but I never notice it when I'm driving, so it doesn't bother me.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.