Lane Change Assist

CalumLewis

Oct 14, 2022
May only apply to UK owners at this stage as it is perhaps related to the navigation system.

Recently received my VZ2 eHybrid 245, absolutely brilliant car and zero issues so far. However I don't seem to be able to get the Lane Change Assist system to work. The feature is activiated in the Travel Assist settings (named 'Auto Lane Changing in the menu') but after driving on quite a few UK bypasses (2 lanes) and 3/4 lane motorways the arrows in the Travel Assist graphic on the dashboard have never appeared.

Just wondering if anyone in the UK has actually got the Lane Change Assist system to work? I've seen videos of the ID3/4/5 and Born using the system but no videos of it working in the Formentor that I can see.

dazed

Mar 28, 2022
I'm interested in this too. It's always activated but doesn't seem to do anything... you got me curious so i just watched a video of it in action on a VW. I now realise i have seen the arrow once but didn't know what it meant, i assumed it was telling me to overtake which I did, so I must have overridden it.
It was a very quiet stretch of motorway so maybe it needs lots of space?

CalumLewis

Oct 14, 2022
I'm interested in this too. It's always activated but doesn't seem to do anything... you got me curious so i just watched a video of it in action on a VW. I now realise i have seen the arrow once but didn't know what it meant, i assumed it was telling me to overtake which I did, so I must have overridden it.
It was a very quiet stretch of motorway so maybe it needs lots of space?
I don't think space is the issue - I was driving on the M56 for about an hour between 5.30AM and 6.30AM so there was very little traffic. Interesting that you have seen the arrow, I am 100% certain that in all the motorway driving the arrows haven't appeared once for me. As far as I understand it, if the arrow shows and you start indicating (a small push to set the intermittent indicator), it will carry out the lane change and turn off the indicator automatically. It should also show a larger arrow in the lane that it is moving in to.

It does say in the manual for the Leon that the feature relies on 'multi-lane motorways that are stored in the car's navigation system' but I would imagine all the major ones like the M56 are covered by that. I don't think the Formentor manual even has it listed.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Yeah i have this option ticked and assumed it was another name for blind spot monitoring - and changing colour of lights in door if something there.. but will look out for arrows and stuff when using travel assist.. going on Motorway later..

CalumLewis

Oct 14, 2022
I’m in the UK and this works on every drive for me.

The lane assist comes in 2 forms, depending on which spec you get. The bottom spec version is what I have, where it’ll pull you back into the lane but only to a certain extent - more like a nudge to do something, than actual lane keeping. This picks up after a second or two of being on a road with decent enough lane markings or an obvious curb. If the road is wide or something, it can sometime take a few seconds.

To confirm it’s working, you can change your dashboard view to the travel assist view, which will show the detected lane lines or curb on the screen. There should also be a green symbol on the dash when it’s found the lane.

The second, more advanced version, requires more of the tech pack to be installed, but allows for full lane keeping, where the car will stay fully in the centre of the lane on its own. Not having this system, I cannot give much insight, but would be surprised if it didn’t function very similarly.

Next time in the car, I’ll see if I can get a snap of what it looks like in action!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the Travel Assist feature itself, where the car combines the ACC and Lane Assist to keep you centered in the lane. The feature we're talking about is the Lane Change Assist (part of the XL Safety Pack) which is supposed to automate lane changing while using Travel Assist on a motorway.

Apr 4, 2023
This is the Travel Assist feature itself, where the car combines the ACC and Lane Assist to keep you centered in the lane. The feature we're talking about is the Lane Change Assist (part of the XL Safety Pack) which is supposed to automate lane changing while using Travel Assist on a motorway.

Oh my bad, will delete to save myself the embarrassment

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
Didn't see anything on my trip down the motorway that suggested Lane Changing etc.. Only thing I could see but might be norma as only had car a few days is that when in Traffic Assist mode on motorway it would highshow three lanes sometimes but then highlight a lane now and then but couldn't work out why it was highlighting and then going dark.. it did this for inside and out lanes at times.. probably meant something else

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I used Traffic Assist today for first time in anger and it is really good.. Is there away of getting it to follow the speed limit displayed in the cockpit. I get warnings about speed limits but Traffic Assist just seems to obey the cruise speed set?

CalumLewis

Oct 14, 2022
I used Traffic Assist today for first time in anger and it is really good.. Is there away of getting it to follow the speed limit displayed in the cockpit. I get warnings about speed limits but Traffic Assist just seems to obey the cruise speed set?
You can switch on a setting that will change the ACC speed when the car sees a speed limit sign (it does also use information from the navigation system to change the speed also). Just be careful though because the system does have a habit of bumping you up to 70 in the middle of a 50 average speed camera section if the 50 signs are placed too far apart.

Reactions: bounderboy
Apr 24, 2023
I am trying to figure out if I have travel assist or if it is just the ACC that I have turned on. Mine is a 1.5 150 DSG V2. Anyone else with this spec that has Travel Assist?

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I am trying to figure out if I have travel assist or if it is just the ACC that I have turned on. Mine is a 1.5 150 DSG V2. Anyone else with this spec that has Travel Assist?
i think it is only VZ that have XL package for Travel Assist..

Reactions: Rivky

CalumLewis

Oct 14, 2022

Unless added as an option, only VZ2 and above include the XL driving pack which has the Travel Assist system.

Reactions: Rivky

dazed

Mar 28, 2022
I had the lane change arrow this morning, i only saw it once but then I was on the M25 so there was only 1 opportunity to overtake!
I did get a minor update yesterday so maybe related, will see on my way back later.
I am still on 1898

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
I had the lane change arrow this morning, i only saw it once but then I was on the M25 so there was only 1 opportunity to overtake!
I did get a minor update yesterday so maybe related, will see on my way back later.
I am still on 1898
I have 1900 and used travel assist quite a lot and not seen an overtake arrow - what was the situation - you were behind a car going slower than your set speed and dashboard said lane change?

dazed

Mar 28, 2022
I have 1900 and used travel assist quite a lot and not seen an overtake arrow - what was the situation - you were behind a car going slower than your set speed and dashboard said lane change?
That's about right, approach a slower car and have an empty overtake lane, you'll get an arrow on the travel assist display showing you can overtake, flick the indicator and the car will change lane for you.

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
That's about right, approach a slower car and have an empty overtake lane, you'll get an arrow on the travel assist display showing you can overtake, flick the indicator and the car will change lane for you.
Ahh ok... and did you actually do the overtake it suggested and assuming because you are typing it worked 🙃

So weird I haven't seen this at all even once..

dazed

Mar 28, 2022
I think I did... having only seen the arrow once before I wasn't expecting it and I was already indicating when it popped up. You have to take your opportunities on the M25!

CalumLewis

Oct 14, 2022
Ahh ok... and did you actually do the overtake it suggested and assuming because you are typing it worked 🙃

So weird I haven't seen this at all even once..
Same for me, however I've only been travelling on the motorway very early in the morning so maybe the system just hasn't been 'needed' during any of my time on the motorway. I drive on dual carriageways / bypasses daily and nothing shows there so I assume the system is only for 3+ lane motorways also.

Reactions: bounderboy

bounderboy

Mar 21, 2023
1683188535659.png

Ahh I think i get it .. it's these tiny arrows.. I think i might have seen these before. But I haven't been out since this revelation so might be wrong. So if you see these arrows you just turn indicator to which side you want to go and it will perform the lane change..?

1683188620458.png

Then once you start manoeuvre you see this.

(Grabs from a vw id4 you tube video so might be completely wrong with Formentor)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise