Laquered Engine covers gone yellow!!!

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
As title says, I bought car 2 years ago and the garage had laquered the engine which i told them NOT to do. I have wanted to get it off for ages now as it looks hideous:cry: but didn't want to scratch/damage anything!!

Now its gone yellow and started peeling at the edges. i really want to get this off without doing any damage to the plastics.

Any ideas would be appreciated!!:)

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Have you got any pic's ?
If it's just the plastic cover's it might be easier just to replace them.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
MMM carbon!!! :drool:

Its on the engine cover, airbox, battery cover and the headlight cover in front of the battery it looks awfull runs everywhere!

I did think to replace them but could be rather expensive when i could use somthing to get it off. I dont mind spending loads of time on it

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
If you dont want to replace them then I would rub them down and spray them gloss black or a colour to match your car

seatcupra2001

Apr 26, 2009
Andover,hampshire

or maybe try using panel wipe its a sprit which i use in the body shop which
removes grease an oil..

its like thinners but not as harmfull i use it all the time on plastic wheel arches

hope that might help:D

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
If it's been resisting the engine bay temperatures for this long then its obviously ptreey tuff.
Start with thinners then move to nitromorse if it won't shift.
Make sure you try this combination on an area out of site to ensure it doesn't do too much damage before blasting the whole engine bay with it

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
If it's been resisting the engine bay temperatures for this long then its obviously ptreey tuff.
Start with thinners then move to nitromorse if it won't shift.
Make sure you try this combination on an area out of site to ensure it doesn't do too much damage before blasting the whole engine bay with it

Thought of thinners but i know that this stuff ruins plastic so no. and nitromorse doesnt sound so good either.

I really dont know why valeters use laquer on the engine it looks shite after a few years and causes all kinds of distress!!!!

Is there anything else?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.