LCR cold air feed idea

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
Was just wondering if anyone had looked into this before.

I have just replaced a broken foglight and until now I didn't have a good idea of how to get a decent cold air feed to my dynatwist (that i havent fitted yet).

with the foglight out it looks possible to use the scooped grill that the foglight sits behind as an air feed... did something similar on a previous car using a stainless bassbox port in the right size for my filter.

with a bit of cutting and stainless port instead of a foglight i think the results would be awesome. it definately made a huge difference on my last car.

you could even it up and do two pipes into one, with one on the other side as well....... im wondering if too much air flow will cause MAF problems though.

what do people think?

Last edited:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
A scoop is a good idea, larger collector area than a plain tube end. I think that, along with a big diameter tube is the real answer to good induction...

You won't have MAF problems, if you do the sums the engine is always sucking rather than having air forced into the turbo - so scoops and large diameter CAIs 'help' and create a reservoir of air for the turbo to pull on.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've not looked myself... but is there room between the battery and headlight to fit a decent sized air feed?

You also risk blocking the air getting to your intercooler that sits right behind that area.

It's a nice idea and if it's possible, get some photos taken and let us all know about it :D

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
there is room but its not the best place to get fresh air

ill take some pics when i do it... i think the port will take some air from the intercooler as before i suppose it just flowed around the foglight rather than being sucked elsewhere.

You seem like the man to know about MAFS Dave. Glad you think it wont harm it.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
there is room but its not the best place to get fresh air

ill take some pics when i do it... i think the port will take some air from the intercooler as before i suppose it just flowed around the foglight rather than being sucked elsewhere.

You seem like the man to know about MAFS Dave. Glad you think it wont harm it.

I don't think a pipe to the foglight will restrict the ICs, the foglights themselves don't, they're level with the tops of the ICs. There's room to get a 4" feed between battery and inner wing and down beside the sidelight. The difficulty you have on an LCR is getting past the nearside IC to inlet mani tubing....

(No, I only wake up with MAF nightmares three nights a week now, I'm nearly over it. :cry: )

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
You can fit a 100mm pipe down the side of the battery, into the original air scoop in the front grill of the LCR, i cant see that you can really get that much better, as it is channeled in under pressure anyway by the forward motion of the car, ie the faster you go, the more air is forced in...

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
I don't think a pipe to the foglight will restrict the ICs, the foglights themselves don't, they're level with the tops of the ICs. There's room to get a 4" feed between battery and inner wing and down beside the sidelight. The difficulty you have on an LCR is getting past the nearside IC to inlet mani tubing....

(No, I only wake up with MAF nightmares three nights a week now, I'm nearly over it. :cry: )

:lol: When i had a quick look i think you would need to cut a hole for the feed to get into the engine bay, it all looks like plastic though, so no major worries.

I can't see water being anymore of a prob than normal. it didnt cause me any probs in the past and the run will be much longer on the LCR.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
:lol: When i had a quick look i think you would need to cut a hole for the feed to get into the engine bay, it all looks like plastic though, so no major worries.

I can't see water being anymore of a prob than normal. it didnt cause me any probs in the past and the run will be much longer on the LCR.

Remove the oe plastic feed and you can get a 4" pipe down without any cutting.

If you submerged the end of a CAI in water, you would kill your engine immediately. That's the only water prob to consider. I find that mine perks up a tad with some nice heavy motorway spray. :funk:

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
Ive got rid of both my fog lights, and ive routed an 80 mm feed down to one of them. Ive got rid of quite a lot of plastic, and its still a tight fit with a FMIC, I doubt you would be able to do with SMIC !

Ive currently got someone replicating the Super Copa scoop which sites behind the front grill, Watch this space....

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Ive got rid of both my fog lights, and ive routed an 80 mm feed down to one of them. Ive got rid of quite a lot of plastic, and its still a tight fit with a FMIC, I doubt you would be able to do with SMIC !

Ive currently got someone replicating the Super Copa scoop which sites behind the front grill, Watch this space....

Empi...i would be interested in one of those if you can get hold of them, been wanting one for a while now, but hard to find.. wasnt there somone trying to sort them out before???

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net

What sort of surface area will the scoop mouth have, Phil?

** I think it's worth mentioning that a 100mm pipe with a small 80mm restriction is always going to be more effective than an 80mm pipe. Where you can - increase the dia on intake - bigger reservoir of air sitting there....

Empi5

Your scaring me.......
Feb 24, 2005
Staffordshire
The scoop covers almost all of the side of the right hand grill, and its a direct fit, when you remove the plastic thats there for cosmetics. The guys are working on it at the moment so will let you know shortly.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise