LCR hiccups blues

junior munky

Mmm.. Sacrilicious
Oct 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
www.essenet.co.uk
Hello peeps,

Well it's been a while since I posted in these parts, but you're such nice peeps I thought you might be kind enough to give me your opinion on a little problem I have.

Had a few bits and bobs like shocks, aircon pump, rad fans, cam cover gasket replaced under warranty, but today - literally 3 years minus one day from delivery date (with no chance of getting it to a dealer tomorrow) it has developed a small problem.

Car is late 2002 Cupra R (210)

Revo (can't remember exact settings, but pretty aggressive - only ever drunk Optimax - Bill might be able to remember what he set me at, but I doubt it, that was 2 and a half years ago :)). Also has forge piston DV and a dynatwist.

Revo second code version - the one that fixed the dead spots problem and pushed the peak torque up the revs a bit - updated thanks to the nice chaps at Big Boys Toys

If you listen to the induction it has always sounded nice and whooshy, and at peak torque round 3000rpmish with foot to floor it screams. On my way up the motorway today I noticed that at exactly that point of peak torque it now cuts boost dramatically jus after the screaming starts, but only for a fraction of a second, maybe a tenth ? This is really noticable, the screaming sounds stops and kind of makes a soft thud sound and the car noticeably "bumps" with such sudden loss and regaining of boost pressure, then comes straight back with the boost. It will do this between one and 5 or six times up to about 4500 revs. Above that it is absolutely fine. Quite unpleasant :(

I'm not convinced the turbo is actually stalling as the power comes back so fast, but maybe at that exhaust rate it spins up very fast ?? Am I losing air somewhere from a faulty valve ? Can't just be a hole I'm guessing or there would be general lack of boost which there isn't except for that fraction of a second. Had the problem in 3rd-6th gear.

The ONLY way to actually get the problem to happen is get the revs below about 2500 revs, then accelerate fairly hard (not even foot to floor) and as it goes through about 3000 the staccato boost loss hits. If it is already at 3000 on the nose and you floor it, I guess as the turbo isn't going so fast (youve not had your foot on the throttle until that moment) the problem does not happen.

Unsurprisingly with revo off, problem goes away... Have checked hoses etc briefly but was on way to Brum for a meeting so couldn't really check properly. Maybe I should check the DV as well as I haven't looked at it for 10K miles or so, although it doesn't sound like a dump when the problem hits - actually it did, but only once in the 10 or 15 times it happened.

Any hints of where to start ? Revo bods in particular ?

sorry if that was a bit war and peace, but wanted to give all the detail I could.

Thanks m'dears.

Cheerserm

Just seen your thread and thought my reply to someone elses problem may be relevant. It may not be, but have a read anyway! The bloke said this solved his problem too.

I had what sounds like a very similar problem a while back with my LCR (Revo'd / Forge 007p). Around the peak boost rev range, I could feel what can only be described as a stuttering effect (very short but noticeable loss in boost / power). It was also worse the colder the temparature (although i now realise this was due to the lower intake temps perhaps allowing 'full' boost therefore exagerating the problem).

My first thoughts were boost leak, then sticking spring in the d. valve (gave it a service as it had done 12,000 miles), then N75 (but it wasn't actually surging?), but it wasnt any of the above.

It turns out that it was the spark plugs on their way out. Given that the car had a FSSH and maintenance schedules had been strictly adheared to, i just assumed that such items were OK (the car had only done 28,000 m and plugs not due until 40,000 i think?). But this wasnt the case. I was advised that especially when increasing the load on the engine (as REVO et all do), it was vital that every part of the engine is functioning at or very near to 100% - my spark plugs weren't!

So u may think its a daft and completely obvious thing to check, but if everything else has failed - u may as well try it!

Hope this may be of some help,

Cheerserm

Hope this has helped.

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Hey guys, ive have the same sort of problem (have had it for about 6-7 months :()

usually in 3rd gear at around 2500rpm floor it.. starts picking up then *bump* feels like youve ran over something in the road then picks up and goes :( put all samcos on and still does it.. (i have revo) doesnt happen at all standard.. only with revo on :(

Tried unplugging the MAF a few times will run ok for about 10mins then back to its normal ways.. plug MAF back in .. fine again for another 10mins then goes back to stuttering!

I will try spark plugs .. and post back once done :)

Cheerserm

small world!

Hey Rivva,

Where abouts in Doncaster u from?

Cheers erm

Revo Kev

www.onlyrevo.com
Feb 24, 2003
www.onlyrevo.com
Sounds like a boost leak or misfire under load, I'd try the following:

service DV (or at least check to see it's not sticking)
check for splits in vacuum hosing
check plugs (replace if they're very old)

Would be worthwhile plugging in to see if there are any faults, if not it'd be worthwhile checking boost, MAF, CF values.

warren_cox

Back from the dead
Have just changed my plugs at 8k to Denso Iridiums as I have heard that when your mapped it puts more strain on the plugs and reduced their life by about 40%.

For the sake of £40 for plugs when you are asking more of your car (with a map) you have to remember that the spark is as important as the airflow/fuelling mix coming in to the chamber. If the spark isn't up to it it will struggle to effectively ignite the mix in the chamber.

I think plugs are greatly overlooked, but at least the LCR runs NGK's which I think are one of the best standard plugs on the market (followed by Bosch). Wouldn't touch champions with a barge pole.

Cheerserm

Rivva said:
Im in wheatley mate...

Like i say mate - small world! I only live down the road in Barnby Dun. Funny that i havent seen u around, I must open my eyes more while driving!

I Hope replacing the plugs helps. Sorry, but i didnt change them myself and wouldnt want to begin to guess how to do it so cant really help anymore. Let us know how u get on.

Cheerserm

junior munky

Mmm.. Sacrilicious
Oct 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
www.essenet.co.uk
In addition to Rivva's request for an idiots guide to fitting new plugs (I have never fitted plugs on a distributorless car) can someone suggest what plugs to go for ? THere are a couple mentioned on the thread already, can someone indicate what the differences are between brands ?

Also is there anything I need to know in terms of size or type of plug required ?

Thanks

Olly.

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Like i say mate - small world! I only live down the road in Barnby Dun. Funny that i havent seen u around, I must open my eyes more while driving!

I Hope replacing the plugs helps. Sorry, but i didnt change them myself and wouldnt want to begin to guess how to do it so cant really help anymore. Let us know how u get on.

Cheerserm

You drive a LCR mate? Just nipping out to do the plugs now.. rang the dealers and asked them how to do it :D

Rivva

Want more power!!
Feb 12, 2004
Doncaster
Visit site
Changed the plugs... well tick over is smooth and not lumpy any more :D

Letting off the revs when changing gear is "mostly" smooth now where before it would jolt you back... BUT

Its still jerking back when putting the power down :( what can i try next :'(

Oh well, at least its another thing out of the way

junior munky

Mmm.. Sacrilicious
Oct 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
www.essenet.co.uk
Sorted :)

I checked the DV. When I pulled the hose off a half pea small lump of something hard came out. It fell over the back of the engine and I lost it unfortunately. Slightly worrying :( Probably something broken off that hadn't been able to get through the DV. The turbo itself sounds OK so I'm guessing its not a bit of turbine blade.

Anyhow when I took it out again the problem was still there. Changed the plugs. They didn't look too bad, but true enough that fixed the problem totally. Pic of one of the plugs here: http://www.essenet.co.uk/images/plug 24k revo.jpg

I took it up the A10 to test, and as I looped around the roundabout at Hertford I lost all power and the engine kept petering out. Nasty smell of unburnt petrol too. I was rather worried by this but managed to limp round to the garage on the roundabout where I found all it was was one of the turbo hoses had popped off. What's weird is this has happened before (most Revo non samco people will probably have had this one) but whilst there was clearly no boost, it didn't cause the engine to die. It took about 8 or 9 starts to get round the roundabout :(

Anyhow hose popped back on all was well. Pretty sure the problem is no more. Happy boy.

Thanks for all your help guys.

:thumbup:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise