Lcr is rubbish in snow / ice

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
You will find nearly all front wheel drive cars are. I have a diff in mine so it copes a tad better...If you want decent performance in these bad conditions you winter tyres.

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
its more the tyre setup, hence why my lcr is in the garage and im in one of our pixo's so far its not got stuck once, good little car to be fair

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
As above, tyres are the key.
I used to try and struggle by with GSD3's but got fed up with not getting anywhere.
As soon as the winter tyres were fitted theres nothing stopping me:)

Deleted member 20376

mine aint the best think its just because of wide tyres, quite a bit of torque and sharp brakes. plus its a fairly heavy car too.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
I've seen plenty of 4x4s struggling in the snow at the moment.

Unless you have snow chains or studded tyres, any car can bog down in snow.

vwbassett

Joined the Dark Side
Aug 13, 2007
Surrey
Conditions like these your just better off walking :) Last year i had to dump the LCR in a slightly sloping road. I tried to drop the tyre pressure which made no difference once i was off the track other cars had made and i dont think the tyre width helps as little pugs and the like made it through no problem.

Before christmas i took the TDI out and it made it through quite happily untill i changed to second and the TCS light was constantly blinking, good fun though as it wasnt my car to prang into a curb or other car.

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
I saw a 4X4 JEEP cherokee with 20 inch rims and low profile tyres earlier today,he was struggling as much as all the other chumps in their cars,I've been on foot all day.

csd_19

May 11, 2005
Angus / Edinburgh
I saw a 4X4 JEEP cherokee with 20 inch rims and low profile tyres earlier today,he was struggling as much as all the other chumps in their cars,I've been on foot all day.

Much the same up here - hilarious laughing at all the oilfield trash in their X5s, road roller tyres fitted and going nowhere....

And there's me in good old ginge, scooting past them no problem! :p :whistle:

Aug 7, 2009
Manchester U.K
ive done er, about 95 miles today and been fine, its more how you drive, you cant use turbo or your going for a hedge, stay under 2k, gentle pedal work and ya fine :) Spillter hasnt sounded good tho :/

cmc

ohhhhh yes.
Sep 13, 2002
Glasgow
Visit site
I replaced all 4 tyres about 4 months ago and have had no major problems in the snow and I think that's why I reckon your tread depth is a major factor though. But if its ice tyres are pretty irrelvant. Your tyres could be illegal or brand new they still won't grip on ice.

Agree with the comment that GSD 3's were poor in the snow.

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
Ive just had to wake up half my road towing amanda's leon up our road with my evo, helps having winter tyres on

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
Wish I had the chance to find out how bad it is in the snow this week.
I'm stranded in Portugal because Britain is too tight to spend money to keep airports open:cry::censored:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members