LCR Mk2 - Autocar road-test

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Personally it just looks like a cupra to me and wont be having me rushing to the garage to trade my LCR in
It may drive well but i dont think it really looks the part
If you are going to be parting with 20k you want something that ticks all the boxes and unfortunately for me it doesn't.
There is so much choice for that money in the hot hatch department, it just doesnt seem to have the awe about it
I will keep my mk1 LCR and see if they do a more special version when the mk3 drops

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
quote "turbo blowing at 2.2bar, it produces 261bhp at 6000rpm and a healthy 258lb ft"

Thats 31psi !!- WTF:confused:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
From the PR

The new engine on the CUPRA R is a development of the familiar 2.0 TSI. Its 265 hp comes from a different engine management set-up, as well as greater turbo pressure compared to the 240 hp engine: 1.9 bar at maximum output and 2.2 bar at maximum torque compared to the 1.8 bar of the 240 hp 2.0 TSI.

Seems a little high, so maybe someone's got their calculations out by a factor (of 1bar)

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
Thanks for that info Mork - thought i was seeing things but if they have raised the bar overall obviousley the engineering has been improved as well.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Seat says its number one market will be the UK

Thats interesting, as is the 50kg loss of weight over the original MK2 Leon Cupra and the transmission upgrade :confused:

Also, if it books at under 20k, will there be a market for the Cupra? As memory serves, its list price is only just less than that.

JMP

May 27, 2004
From the PR

The new engine on the CUPRA R is a development of the familiar 2.0 TSI. Its 265 hp comes from a different engine management set-up, as well as greater turbo pressure compared to the 240 hp engine: 1.9 bar at maximum output and 2.2 bar at maximum torque compared to the 1.8 bar of the 240 hp 2.0 TSI.

Seems a little high, so maybe someone's got their calculations out by a factor (of 1bar)

Thats just the way manufacturers often state the boost. Figure is overboost + atmospheric pressure.

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Seems to be a common dislike of anything Audi or SEAT. The Golf GTi always gets praise in this space so I don't know what they do differently at VW? You would think it would all be the same parts.

Its horses for courses. The golf GTI is a nice car built to a more expensive budget. The MK2 LCR will be a rare car in comparison.

Still not sure about the green:blink:

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
What weight loss and what transmission upgrade?

quote;

'The R has the same turbocharged 2.0-litre petrol engine found in the 237bhp Leon Cupra, but over and above it the R gets a revised ECU, a boost in turbo pressure, a new high-pressure fuel pump, a different intercooler and a tweaked exhaust system. The changes lift power to 261bhp, and the torque output climbs from 221lb ft to 258lb ft. The extra grunt means the six-speed manual gearbox – the only transmission available – has also been strengthened to cope.'

n_olympios

greek member
Thanks for the quote, Chris. :)

How about the weight loss though? 50kgs is a massive amount of weight for today's standards. It'd have to lose the spare wheel, rear seats, several sound deadening materials (as if the Leon had lots in the first place hehe) etc...

warren_cox

Back from the dead
From Autocar:

Should I buy one?
The problem is it is difficult to work out who this car is for. Seat says its number one market will be the UK; we’re not so sure.

SEAT say the number one market will be the UK???! Do they usually make these kind of statements without polling the buyer base. If they read some of the post on here they may change their minds, go back to the drawing board and have another go. If it had been a GENUINELY good effort, I'd have considered one for Mar 2010 deliver, but at the moment I wouldn't even consider it.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
From Autocar:

Should I buy one?
The problem is it is difficult to work out who this car is for. Seat says its number one market will be the UK; we’re not so sure.

SEAT say the number one market will be the UK???! Do they usually make these kind of statements without polling the buyer base. If they read some of the post on here they may change their minds, go back to the drawing board and have another go. If it had been a GENUINELY good effort, I'd have considered one for Mar 2010 deliver, but at the moment I wouldn't even consider it.

:yes:

x2

stevesulsh

MY08FR
Dec 8, 2008
Dublin Ireland
Cupra R expected to be around €34000 (At Least) in Ireland don't you just love the Euro and 6.5% higher vat, car prices are crippling over here. may have to drive over and purchase in UK then re register over here