LCR or FR???? Can't make me mind up!!

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
I guess I'm lucky - I got the best of both worlds cos I got an LCR 225 and the Missus has got a Golf GT TDi PD150... loadsa fun :D

J:)

welsh frtdi

smokey
Oct 3, 2009
carms
the only way people will tell the difference is when they see the soot.. go for a fr cupra bodykit.same great looks better mpg plenty of grunt afterall too many gatso's to see the top end difference...fr for me everytime... will never look back at another petrol

ace163

DPM Power
Apr 30, 2008
south shields
Fair enough. Must have been a vRS wanabe then.

FR for the win.

I have heard this type off banter before,when i had my astra VXR people from the ST and megane sport forums used to come on claiming their cars were faster when the fact was the vxr was the faster car and its the same here...the leon cupra R is a faster car than the skoda vrs range, no if or buts or my vrs is mapped...it a FACT

SRStdi

Aug 18, 2008
I have heard this type off banter before,when i had my astra VXR people from the ST and megane sport forums used to come on claiming their cars were faster when the fact was the vxr was the faster car and its the same here...the leon cupra R is a faster car than the skoda vrs range, no if or buts or my vrs is mapped...it a FACT

MRS has a VRS and i have a LCR... also had a LC tdi before the LCR... in all instances the Leons were faster but if you had to drive the VRS it would seem faster . [B)]

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds

Sorry mate but that's codswallop! :D

Through the gears a std LCR would find a mapped Fabia vRS a handful - FACT!

Simple maths to be honest - power to weight ratios and in-gear torque.

I have an LCR but I'll happily admit that an FR150 or Fabia vRS has more torque. 0-60 is not an issue (traffic light duels aside) because that doesn't really come into it in real world driving... in gear acceleration is mostly down to torque and diseasels have plenty of that!

Incidentally, the Astra VXR looked great but had a terrible chassis and struggled to put the power down cleanly (Thorneys could sort that out though). Focus ST and Megane 225 could get the power down better and despite what the lofty manufacturers figures claimed, in the overall scheme of things all of them were very evenly matched.

I remember EVO magazine did a hot hatch feature on all of them around the time the latest Civic Type R was launched and they all did the 60 sprint in around 6.8 secs and went onto 100 in about 17-18 secs... I seem to remember the Civic got mullered by them all too :cartman:

ace163

DPM Power
Apr 30, 2008
south shields
Sorry mate but that's codswallop! :D

Through the gears a std LCR would find a mapped Fabia vRS a handful - FACT!

Simple maths to be honest - power to weight ratios and in-gear torque.

I have an LCR but I'll happily admit that an FR150 or Fabia vRS has more torque. 0-60 is not an issue (traffic light duels aside) because that doesn't really come into it in real world driving... in gear acceleration is mostly down to torque and diseasels have plenty of that!

Incidentally, the Astra VXR looked great but had a terrible chassis and struggled to put the power down cleanly (Thorneys could sort that out though). Focus ST and Megane 225 could get the power down better and despite what the lofty manufacturers figures claimed, in the overall scheme of things all of them were very evenly matched.

I remember EVO magazine did a hot hatch feature on all of them around the time the latest Civic Type R was launched and they all did the 60 sprint in around 6.8 secs and went onto 100 in about 17-18 secs... I seem to remember the Civic got mullered by them all too :cartman:

Read my post again,Im speaking facts here,put it this way,i also had a corsa vxr which is faster than a fabia vrs,my leon and astra were way faster than my corsa so figures speak for themselves,i said the FACT is a leon is faster than both which it is..im not bothered about giving it a run for its money here im on about the faster car..initially i never spoke about mapped cars i can say now that my mapped leon will wipe the floor with a mapped fabia, also the astra only really struggled to get the power down in the damp or wet.i test drove the st,megane and astra and in a straight line the astra was faster,also the nurburgring lap times prove its faster than the other 2

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
"the leon cupra R is a faster car than the skoda vrs range, no if or buts or my vrs is mapped...it a FACT"

Yes mate, I can read just fine. Sorry, but you DID make reference to 'mapped' cars... :D

Which figures speak for themselves?

Obviously you would expect a mapped LC or LCR to be quicker than a Fabia vRS even if it was remapped, but that's not what I said.

Your post from earlier (post #41) said "Sorry but I cant believe that for a minute, some nob in a octavia VRS tried to have a go with me in my LCR on the A1 motorway and i left him for dead so i guess a fabia would stand no chance at all!!" - This isn't entirely accurate because the Octavia vRS and the Fabia vRS are two completely different cars (one is a diesel for starters). Just because an Octavia couldn't keep up with its 180bhp/173lb/ft petrol engine from the Leon Cupra (not that I think they are that much slower) doesn't mean that a Fabia vRS (130bhp/228lb/ft) would be equally stuffed - its like comparing chalk and cheese buddy.

The fact of the matter is that a Fabia vRS is a very quick little car as standard due to it having a torquey diesel engine that shoves out 228lb/ft from as little as 1950rpm in a car weighing about as much as a packet of fags. Its pretty obvious that whilst, like any diesel it won't be lightning out of the blocks and post a fast 0-60 time, once running it will be pretty quick through the gears in the hands of a half competent driver. Get a DTUK tuning box fitted to it or have it remapped and you can get upwards of 160bhp and 300lb/ft from the 1.9 engine which would make the car a little rocket in the straight line (remember the silly Ibiza Cupra TDi 160 from around the same time?).

When comparing this to a stock Leon Cupra or Cupra R, the Spanish car would have its work cut out - no doubt, as would pretty much any hot hatch you care to mention. I know we're not comparing like for like here, but your comment above suggested that there was no way on Skoda vRS model could keep up with an LCR.... that ain't true!

Grey 225 in Post #36 said... "After having both diesel (Fabia VRS) and comparing that to my LCR for engine performance then on a motorway the VRS would have kept pace with my LCR(assuming LCR was standard,and not as it is now),and probably between 50-70mph,but on a country back road or a track then it was a different story,the vrs had small power band compared to LCR." - and I agree totally.

As far as the Astra VXR was concerned, I referred to the article in EVO magazine which featured 0-60 and 0-100 times which were calculated from straight line sprints and each of the cars did more or less identical times, except the Megane R26 thingy which was rapid... from the tests they did the conclusion pretty much was that all of them were about as quick as each other in real world driving. I don't think anyone could accurately say that an Astra VXR was noticeably quicker in standard form than a Megane 225 and a Focus ST when there are fractions of a second between them in terms of acceleration.

The Nurburgring time for the Astra that was publicised when the Nurburgring Edition was launched was very impressive, but I don't recall any 'official' times being published from the 'Ring for the Megane or Focus to prove that the Astra was the quicker car.

Either way the Astra VXR, Focus ST and Megane 225 were all lovely cars, but the Astra had a poor chassis (rear suspension set up was a cheap, cost-cutting joke) compared to the Focus with its fully independent setup.

With all this said, the LCR is far better looking than the lot of them :p and whilst I'd have the LCR over the FR anyday, if you do the high mileage and need a diesel a mapped FR150 would be a superb driving machine and as quick as pretty much anything on the road! [B)]

ace163

DPM Power
Apr 30, 2008
south shields
I meant my previous posts before you commented,the other guy mentioned a mapped vrs..all i simply said is a lcr is faster than a mapped fabia vrs which it is, so by that comment your basically saying the fabia is faster than the octavia? saying the fabia wouldnt be equally stuffed, all i said is my std lcr left a std octavia vrs which it did.
sorry but your wrong, the megane and st did have nurburg track times but they said it was unofficial when they seen the vxr time, i believe the st recently done a similar time to the astra. the st,meg,lcr and astra all have similar power but the astra is noticably faster and more aggresive in a straight line imo, once my lcr was mapped then i was happy with the power compared the the astra

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
cap r wrote

next to my paint number in the boot it just says LC92???

If you look closely I think you'll find it's LC9Z

C9Z is the paint code for Black Magic :) You're a winner :funk:

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
If you like the sound and long rev range of a petrol and dont mind the extra cost in fuel get the LCR

If its economy you're after but with still a good amount of power then go for the FR

EmDee

Omnishambolic
I've seen quite a few Black Magic Pearlescent LCRs, in fact Nick (skorchio)'s was one too. There are plenty about, but let's face it the non metallic shines a bit more ;)

And as for the diesel vs petrol argument, don't listen when people say things like "the only way people will tell the difference is when they see the soot.. " because at the end of the day it's not about what other people think you're driving, it's about what you actually are driving and how much fun you are having behind the wheel. Revving to 7000 rpm is more fun than 5000, fact.

I know this discussion has been done to death, but I still don't see how people can think that diesel is better. When it comes to performance and fun factor it simply can't be better. Admittedly my MPG is shyte and I'm jealous of that, but the extra fun is what I am buying.

Goldie Jon

Dec 7, 2009
Denbighshire, North wales

1. Both Octavia vRS models will gladly KEEP UP with a leon cupra R. So I doubt you would leave one. 1.8t or the 2.0 TFSI.

2. I didnt come on saying my car is faster, i said mine could KEEP UP with one, yes 0-60 and from 90mph upwards it will paste me, but the real world figures, 30-90 he could'nt leave me. 173bhp and 300 lbs/ft of torque. lighter, vs 225bhp and 206 lb/ft of torque?

3. Quoting "some nob tried to have a go" Its not as if its a 1.2 Saxo/106

ace163

DPM Power
Apr 30, 2008
south shields
1. Both octavia vrs models will gladly keep up with a leon cupra r. So i doubt you would leave one. 1.8t or the 2.0 tfsi. absolute bollocks,your living in a fantasy world, he come up behind me about 70 weaving through traffic practically on my bumper,i put my foot down and pulled easily on him

2. I didnt come on saying my car is faster, i said mine could keep up with one, yes 0-60 and from 90mph upwards it will paste me, but the real world figures, 30-90 he could'nt leave me. 173bhp and 300 lbs/ft of torque. Lighter, vs 225bhp and 206 lb/ft of torque? i never said you did and no it wouldnt keep up at all, by the time a fabia started to pull the lcr would be away, FACT, and i was on about std, if your going on about mapped cars then my lcr would paste a mapped fabia, this can go on all day long

3. Quoting "some nob tried to have a go" its not as if its a 1.2 saxo/106
yes some nob did who was weaving in traffic and come blasting up behind me

Rarpuc

Jun 28, 2008
west of scotland
Im not usually one to get involved in my car is faster than yours etc but having owned a 1.8t VRS and having it mapped,even mapped it was no where near as quick as my standard LCR.But lets all get along just putting in my own experience not wanting to fuel a fire :D

Goldie Jon

Dec 7, 2009
Denbighshire, North wales
yes some nob did who was weaving in traffic and come blasting up behind me

We could go on all night here.

At the difference of a 0.8 secs in 0-60, you aint going to pull away from him easily bud. No matter how big your **** is.

Oh well, i'm done here.

Nice one for buying the LCR anyway, sure you'll be happy with it.