LCR Rear pad replacement

SargeantMillar

Hi folks.

Just replaced the front pads and disks on my LCR and turned to do the rear but notice that the pads are not held in with pins. Does anyone know how to get them out so I can replace them and the disk?

Thanks in advance!!!

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
It's just a spring clip fastened to the pad on the rear ;)

but .... the rear pistons are those damn wind-back type - 1st off, don't try pushing them in - you'll damage something/yourself.
You can sort of wind them back in using some bent-nosed pliers (a lengthy, tiring procedure) but a proper wind-back tool - two pegs which sit in the notches on the piston - will save you a lot of time and hassle.

SargeantMillar

Cheers TIIEWL,

How do you get the spring clip fastners out ??? Didnt want to force them and possibly break them??:cry:

Just read another post and will be taking your advice and heading to Halfords for a wind back tool. Might aswell as i've jut saved £300 doing it all myself :clap:

SargeantMillar

The only guide I could find was for the fronts. A link would be mucho appreciated.;) ;)

scottzedal

How Fast!!!!
Aug 31, 2006
Nantwich, Cheshire
The only guide I could find was for the fronts. A link would be mucho appreciated.;) ;)
Alright, it was probably my post you read as i've just done my rear pads.

The other fella was right the spring is attached to the back of the pad, you won't get then out as they're rivetted to the back of the pad..

I definately recommend getting a caliper wind back tool from Halfords £20.00.

I'd never come accross wind back calipers before and nearly gave myself a hernia pushing the pads back!!

In fact i caused a leak in the brake line as a result so had to replace that too!!

Did the rears in 30 mins each side from wheel off to wheel back on with the wind back tool.

I wouldn't try it with long nose pliers as the piston can hit tight spots when winding back, i had to get a ratchet onto the wind back tool to apply the right amount of turning force.

SargeantMillar

Will try and take a few photos as requested but I am doing it tonight outside !!!! Just pleased i've got some thermal overalls :p

Does anyone know how to get the rear pads out though. Do i need to loosen the top and bottom bolt that holds the 'floating caliper side' to gain access. Its the first bit i'm stuck on.[:@]

SargeantMillar

LCR Rear Pads replaced with success

Right. Amazingly no-one had any advice so I had a go myself. Unfortunately both my camera batteries were flat so couldnt take any photos. But this is how I did the second set (first set was trial and error!!!! :think: ).

Firstly, I went to Halfords (or any other autopart store) and bought a 'wind-back' tool :D . Trust me without it you will damage everything in your path. Pistons, calipers, knuckles, etc. For £20 its not worth struggling with a make shift set!!!!

This is what I can remember. But it was Dark, Cold and Wet as I did the job outside. (Garage full of VW stuff :whistle: ). So use this as a guide only please.

The rear brakes operate as a floating caliper. To get the pads out I loosened the top and bottom bolt of the floating section. These are the 14mm nuts at the rear (not the hex bolts). Once unfastened the floating section was pulled clear and the pads slide out and were removed. The wind back tool was then used to wind back the piston (only one on each side of the rears).

I needed to replace the disks aswell so had to remove the caliper complete. This meant undoing the two hex bolts. An allen key would not be good enough. I used a socket hex set which fitted tight and slackened the bolts with an extra bit leverage. Once the calipers were off, I could loosen the one screw holding on the disks and remove the disks.

New disks went straight on with a bit of copper grease and fixed in place with the one screw. The caliper was refitted and once the pads were slid into the caliper the floating section was refixed. Not sure of any torque settings just did them all tight and will check again after a few miles.

Pretty straight forward really. About 30 minutes per side. :funk: :funk:

New EBC disks and red pads all round. Lets see how good they are !!!!

Hope you can make sense of my Geordie rambling.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.