LCR Smoking a bit on startup

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
I have recently noticed my LCR smokes a little on start up, if you give the throttle a few blips it gives a noticeable amount of smoke for the first couple of minutes. (It doesn't smoke if it's just left idling). My oil and water have no contamination in them. Could this mean my turbo is on its way out or something more sinister (engine internal wise)? I remember my old Fiesta XR2i done this and I replaced the valve-stem oil seals, sorted the problem right out, could it be something similar on this? I would imagine the oil seals are a PITA to change on these engines? The engine has always been regularly serviced and is only currently on 43000 miles.

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
Coolant level looks spot on, it never budges, it looks clean / uncontaminated also. This engine has always burnt a bit more oil than my old AGU lump in my golf but its not using any more than normal, the oil also looks uncontaminated. There are traces of oil in the intercooler pipes but I don't know whats normal and whats not, I would imagine oil will always get in there one way or another?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
well its normal to burn abit of oil.
to check if ur turbo knackered, tell some one drive behind you while you give it abit of a stick, see they can spot puffs of smoke.

Balf2k

Jul 5, 2006
South East Kent
The smoke on start up is whiteish. Aparrently the only smoke visible when im raggin' it is a very slight bit of black on the gear changes, this normal?

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
yeh, most tuned turbo cars will get a bit of reek when changin, wouldnt worry too much, the white smoke is most prob condensation, does the smoke smell or anythin?

prob whole lot of worry bout nothin mate, just keep checking levels!

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
nuffin to worry much. if you get large amount of smoke when footing it then you need to inspect it. Just make sure you keep oil and coolant abve minimum.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I agree, a little black when you boot it and change at hight revs is expected.

Try warming the car up, sit it there ticking over and then give it a rev. If that is clear of smoke, I don't reckon you have a problem.

I had warn valve stem seals in a 205 GTI. It use to bellow white smoke when you did the above....

Bit of a puff at start up is probably a bit of residue burning off somewhere....

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.