LCR stereo

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has looked into getting a USB stick working with their stereo at all? I haven't had a look at the wiring etc, but I imagine I'd need a new head unit if I was going to get this to work?

I don't want ipod or stereo jack - just the ability to read files on a USB drive ala Audi's MMI.

Cheers,
Rob.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Yeah cool - I really like the idea of a usb stick with a bunch of songs on it - no need for ipods etc. Think I might have to order this...

kevinmac87

did u get the head unit and did it fit the cd changer?

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Hi, I've emailed the website to ask where the audio decoding is done as I'm not 100% certain how it works atm. If it turns the CD changer connection to a USB connection and I plug in a USB stick or HD, what file formats can be played and is the decoding done by the device? I haven't had a reply yet...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Had a reply now - and this kit does allow you to simply plug in a mass storage device such as usb stick or HD and will decode mp3s for sure. You access it via the cd changer button.... sounds good to me! Think I'll order it this weekend.

dkw

Jan 23, 2009
kep us updated please mate, this looks like exactly the thing im looking for. remove the cd changer and bracket in an external HDD packed full of music. lovely.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Anyone able to help?

I've removed the fascia in the glove box but I'm not sure where to connect to. Is the CD changer cable already in there or do I have to take the head unit out and connect it directly?

Has anyone fitted a CD changer before who could help?

Thanks!

Edit: Thought I should say my car is one of the ones that came without a CD changer...

zeroSignal

I've got something similar hooked up to my car (Leon with Aura) and it works a treat. Hooks up to the rear of the HU in the cd changer port, is controlled through the cd changer controls on the car.

Check it out here:

mcosta.cn/en/products.html?proTypeID=166914&proTypeName=car%20digital%20music%20changer(DMC-9088A)

Mind you, I'm not sure how easy they are to find in the UK, but they work fine. My brother has one in his Passat and I've got one in the Leon.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Photos

Ok, here are some photos...

This is the USB/SD/3.5mm unit I am trying to fit.

(Removed Photo)

And here are some photos of the glove box. Do you think I need to pull out the head unit and connect to the back (as I can't see a free cable). Will the connection type match - and how do you pull the head unit out?! :confused:

Thanks!

(Removed Photos)

Last edited:

zeroSignal

1. Yes, you will need to pull out the HU. Use the little supplied keys, slot em in the little holes under the HU, pull them to the side and out (I think, been a while since I've done it, but I think that's how it's done), and pull the HU out.

2. Connect the plug to the cd changer port. IIRC, that's the correct plug you have there (8 pin), and connect the little ring thing to the place where the antenna connects to ground it.

3. Guide the cables to the glove box and put the HU back in. Check the unit works before you slot the HU back in though.

Where you fit it afterwards it's up to you. Since I didn't want to cut open the glovebox, I've stuck mine with a bit of double-sided tape to the side of the passenger footwell. Easy access, but out of the way and not visible.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Picked up the audio removal keys and took the head unit out okay. I tried running the cable from new unit round the back but what a bitch! Think I'll have to have another go tomorrow when there's more light. Any tips on easiest way to do this? Thanks.

Mar 29, 2007
Berkshire
Okay - all fitted now and working well!

I pushed the USB cable up from under the ash tray (under the air con unit) and managed to get my hand down from the head unit position and pull it up (you do need to be able to dislocate your wrists for this though!).

Stuck in a 1GB usb stick with folders CD01, CD02, ..., etc. and works absolutely fine. Perfect - would recommend to anyone who has moved to digital compressed music.

Cheers,
Rob.

P.S. Just to add there's no need to pull apart the glovebox as I was doing originally (I thought the connection would be sitting in there to plug into)

Last edited: