Leak in offside back passenger footwell?

A1oatesy

Hi Guys

Sorry i have had a look through most of the threads and tried to search for the answer but i notice everyone seems to have problems with the front of their car however mine is appearing in the back on the passenger side of the car. I haven't tried out the guide yet but will get onto that ASAP but in the meantime any ideas why my problem is in the back footwell?

Many Thanks

Shane

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
The shape of the floorpan will allow water from a faulty front door seal to end up in the rear footwell - this happened to me in my Leon

A1oatesy

Reply to DPJ:

No there is no water in the front footwell at all although as i read in another thread the water does gather on the front passenger door sill.

Reply to Leigh15

So if i follow the instructions i've found for sorting it in the front footwell then the back should be sorted that way as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

paullec

Nov 15, 2006
Birmingham
You could have a faulty rear tailgate hinge like me so when it rains it seaps in through the seams down the arch and depending what angle your parked at into boot area or the passegner footwell. If you lift up the rear seat is it wet underneath ?

A1oatesy

I haven't tried that yet because my initial thoughts were that there was a seal problem on the door. My mate is a mechanic and he thought it may have been the rear lights but there is nothing in the boot so he ruled that out.

paullec

Nov 15, 2006
Birmingham
you have to look in the side recess for boot puddles, If it coming fromt the door your see damp marks on the plastics if theve got interior dressing on them

A1oatesy

Ok thanks, it seems really wierd though because there is no sign of where it is coming from anywhere because like you said there should be water marks but there isn't. I just personally think it must somehow be linked to the build up of water on the sill of the front passenger door.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
That's exactly what caused mine - dodgy front door seals caused water to get into the rear passenger side footwell - sorted under warranty for me

A1oatesy

That's the problem i've got though is that mine isn't under warranty i don't think anyway! I've only recently bought it!

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
mine was the pollen filter and i had hardly any in the front as said above it all flows to the back. When you get in the car put the blowers on full and see if you get a few drips from the bottom of the dash (passenger side)

A1oatesy

Ok thanks i'll try that, i have noticed there is some sort of pipe that comes out under the front passenger seat but points towards the back, this probably sounds really stupid but would it be possible to come from there?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
If there's water on the door sills then that would be the first place to look IMO

Unlikely for the water to have come from the air outlet under the seat

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
Is water coming out your rear wiper? Silly but yrs ago pipe broke and water was coming in through back seats where the pipe connection broke in the rear qtr panel. Worth a shot. Hope you get it sorted.

A1oatesy

I think i will try using the guide from off here first about the whole door sills thing because that seems to be the problem judging by everything, i had a quick look and the actual rubber that runs along the bottom of the door is hanging down a little so i'm wondering if that may be covering up the holes and stopping the water getting out of the car and making it come inside.

As for the water coming from the rear seat suggestion - wouldn't that make my rear seats wet as well because they are fine and when i feel the carpet at the bottom of the seats it is bone dry so i can't see it being anything that far back in the car.

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
Just to add i agree that if there is water on the sills when opening the door then i would say it would be the door seal (my drivers one needs doing just cant get the time) but worth checking if there are a few drips on passenger side as i have just reseated the panel filter on mine which solved the passenger side probs (i didnt have have water on the sills that side though).

Overall a niggly little problem that the Leon has (amongst others lol) and removing trim bits on them seems to make problems appear all the time (like leaks etc)!!! Just the way these cars are, but always a nice sense of achievment when you sort them out and car always puts a smile on my face when i drive it and in my opinion i dont want a perfect car out of the box cos its not worth modding then :)

smoothuk

SmoothNAV
Aug 26, 2005
Essex
Fella, my rear doors both leak, if after it has rained, you open the rear door, does water run out from the seal? If, you open the rear doors and drain them first before you drive away, it will stop happening. It is where the 2 rubber seals meet, and are to tight, it backs the water up in the door, and as you move off it comes in. Try this 1st before distroying your fronts! As for sealing them, i have done one door now, just cracked the inner door card bolts off, filled the seal with a load of gutter sealer, and then trimmed the rubber seal to allow the water to drain away. Sorted :)

A1oatesy

There is a small amount of water on the rear sill but the front sill has a lot of water that pours out when i open that door. I have to open it up though as you said or it comes into the front footwell a little but ideally i would like to stop this problem that's why i think i'm going to have to try and seal it up.

paullec

Nov 15, 2006
Birmingham
its not hard to seal pull the bottom of the panel off then look up your see the leaky gasket just use some silicone over it job done :)

A1oatesy

So it's only really the bottom of the seal that i need to sort out then is it?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.