Leaking Shocks - Help ASAP please!

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
Hi All,

My LCR is in for an MOT today and I'vd had the dreaded phone call to say work is needed! They say both rear shock's are leaking and need to be replaced at a cost of £192. So my question is, my LCR is 5 years old, is this the expected life span of it's shocks? If I choose to use the opertunity to upgrade the shocks I assume I have to to the whole car, not just the rear now, and front later when the bank balance is better?

I have to let them know with in the hour if I want them to replace them and then pass it on the MOT.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
on what plannet is it £120 to replace rear shocks.

thats 3 hours labour at my garage.

tell em to cut the sandwich and do it in 2.

Hairy

Oct 17, 2004
Wiltshire
£120 probably is 2 hours, it's a SEAT service center. Is it normal to only last 5 years , 37K miles, (there are a lot of speed bumps where I live!)

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I'd personally get an aftermarket spring and shock setup all round for not much more. Weitec kit etc..

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Might cost you a couple of hundred more but you'd then have new shocks all round and a much better setup. Don't forget your fronts might not last much longer then and you'll have to pay out again anyway.
I think the Weitec kit is only £350 ish then if you can get cheap fitting you haven't spent much more.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
rear shocks are golf mk4

2 oem rear shocks are 70 quid plus vat....

get them done yourself, very very easy.

the top mounts should be okay or they would have said.