Leon 110tdi fuel filter replacement

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
Hi all. I have searched and searched and can't find info on changing the fuel filter on a 110 tdi mk1 leon. Anyone done it? If so....HOW!!

sssstew

Editing your spelling
very easy.

Buy new one
Pull off pipes off old one
remove
put new one in place and push pipes back on.

If you want fill up the new one with new diesel to start to help first starting, but otherwise just crank it over and it will self bleed the system.

job done.

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
Awesome, thanks sssstew! I was worried it was going to be mega hard as I couldn't find any info on it lol

cypher007

Jul 13, 2008
also

i was told by a vw dealer that there is a difference between the 90bhp and 110bhp filter, bigger bore pipe fittings. not sure if he was correct though :rolleyes: .

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
I got it from GSF and replaced it on friday. It was a piece of cake. didnt clamp the pipes in the end. A tiny dribble came out of the pipe. I didnt fill the filter with diesel as I had nowhere to get any from. Took about 2 minutes of cranking and she ran sweet as a nut!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Those 2 minutes would've been a few seconds if you clamped the lines. It's not so much that diesel comes out, it's the fact that air gets in and the diesel runs back down to the tank so you have to crank it for ages to pump it all the way back op again.

2 minutes cranking with minimal oil pressure to lubricate essential parts.

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
Those 2 minutes would've been a few seconds if you clamped the lines. It's not so much that diesel comes out, it's the fact that air gets in and the diesel runs back down to the tank so you have to crank it for ages to pump it all the way back op again.

2 minutes cranking with minimal oil pressure to lubricate essential parts.

Im pretty sure it took those 2 minutes to crank over due to filling the fuel filter? They must hold atleast half a litre.

I filled my filter up with diesel first and didnt clamp the fuel lines and car started straight up.

heatfan8

Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
The reason I didnt clamp the lines is that they felt fairly brittle. I squeezed by hand and it didnt want to give, so rather than risk breaking the pipe I decided to try and swap the pipes over quickly!

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Im pretty sure it took those 2 minutes to crank over due to filling the fuel filter? They must hold atleast half a litre.

I filled my filter up with diesel first and didnt clamp the fuel lines and car started straight up.

I hope you didn't fill your filter with diesel. Your profile says you drive a petrol 1.4....:)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
The reason I didnt clamp the lines is that they felt fairly brittle. I squeezed by hand and it didnt want to give, so rather than risk breaking the pipe I decided to try and swap the pipes over quickly!

Brittle fuel lines? Time to replace them if they're that bad. Don't want them cracking while you're on the road.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
As said V, the cranking time will have nothing to do with clamping the lines - there might be a little bit of air gets in the pipes if you don't clamp them, but if you don't fill the filter you've got half a litre of air (so to speak) in the middle of the pipes!!

I didn't clamp or fill the filter and was fine. Doesn't feel right to crank it for so long though, can't be good for the starter motor. I was going to fill it but forgot to stop for derv at the garage and couldn't suck any out of the tank.

Ptar64

Feb 26, 2009
I hope you didn't fill your filter with diesel. Your profile says you drive a petrol 1.4....:)

:p Really need to update my profile, had my Leon TDI over 7 months now!

I werent trying to cause trouble about clamping the lines, just if your trying to stop air getting into the system, doesnt help putting an empty fuel filter in :).

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.