Leon as family car - fitting baby seat?!

giger

I went for a test drive in a TDI FR at the weekend - great car. Drives well, nice amount of torque and was tempted to buy it. However I then tried to fit our newborn baby seat only to find that it does not fit in the back! So, how does everyone else manage? Or is the simple answer that you can't fit a newborn baby seat in?

Also, do you find it big enough to carry all your baby/kids stuff around in? I'm used to a big saloon which just swallows it all up.

edmong

GHE Tuning
Aug 15, 2007
Plymouth, Devon
I went for a test drive in a TDI FR at the weekend - great car. Drives well, nice amount of torque and was tempted to buy it. However I then tried to fit our newborn baby seat only to find that it does not fit in the back! So, how does everyone else manage? Or is the simple answer that you can't fit a newborn baby seat in?

Also, do you find it big enough to carry all your baby/kids stuff around in? I'm used to a big saloon which just swallows it all up.

Is it the mark 1 or 2 TDI FR? If its the mark 1 (same as my LCR) I had no problem with the baby seat. Mine was a recaro young profi plus with the isofix adaptor. What probs are you having?

Nov 29, 2007
Mansfield, Notts
The only down side to a Leon for car seats is hen the kids get to the point where they are about to swap from a baby seat to a proper one their legs are squashed up (drivers side).

You could always turn off the air bag in the front (inside glove-box) and then the baby seat can go in the front.

richellis

Feb 29, 2008
Cannock
Ive had a graco baby seat, a britax seat, and now a graco toddler (booster and back) seats in my leon and they all fitted fine.
We have on child and there is ample space for us all day to day, and we heve enough space for family holidays!

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I've had a maxi-cosi baby seat and now a Britax Iso-fix follow on seat in mine and I've never had a problem. I've always thought the Leon makes a great family car. Unless you've got your own five-a-side footy team.

giger

hmm, this was a maxi cosi bebeconfort newborn car seat (so rear-ward facing). The problem was it would not physically fit on the back seat unless the front passenger seat was slid all the way forward (meaning you can't actually sit in it). Perhaps this seat is larger than some others but it fits in my current car ok. Sounds like I may need to wait until baby has moved to a forward facing seat (or change baby car seat - not gonna happen due to travel system).

Cheers for the replies

marshyc

Mar 12, 2006
Huddersfield
We had a Britax Cosi Tot Premium (now called Baby Safe) with the Isofix base for when our daughter was newborn. The seat was at the rear passenger side and the missus was a bit squashed up. My daughter is now in the next seat, a Britax Duo Plus Isofix and because she is now sat forward facing the missus can push the seat back a lot further.

Personally I would not put a child seat behind the drivers side because of the safety getting them in and out with traffic. Unless of course you have more than one child then you can't do much about it.

dmmsta

Sold car - bought bike
Feb 10, 2007
Maidstone - Kent

I know what you mean.

Assume you are using the seat belt way to attach (seat belt over the front of the baby seat).
The rear seat belts are a little short for some baby seats.

As has been said some fit fine, others need more belt than is available.

If your seat has the option of a base adapter this will resolve the problem!

Once you're out of rear facing it will be fine.

Don't forget that the car has ISOFix, so thats always an option, but is an extra expense.

giger

Actually my car seat does have a base. The problem is the seat would not physically sit on the base of the rear seats correctly, the seat was too long for the available gap.

tbh I am in no rush to sell my current car as it is offers more perfomance (but less economy :D) than the FR so waiting another few months is fine with me.

ISOFIX is a big plus point and again is something the current motor has.

I did find a nice low mileage red FR at the weekend, fingers crossed another comes up later in the year.

Apr 7, 2020
Ive had a graco baby seat, a britax seat, and now a graco toddler (booster and back) seats in my leon and they all fitted fine.
We have on child and there is ample space for us all day to day, and we heve enough space for family holidays!
I know it's been a while but it seems that you have a lot of experience with many car seats can you recommend me one?
I've been looking for a good infant car seat for a while now. My baby will arrive soon. After a few weeks I've shortlisted the Britax b-safe. Now this PHD thesis of mine called research has been super long. I've read a bunch of hype blog reviews and some horror stories from amazon. Finally I came across a blog that actually seems to use and test the car seats. Over here I've read a legit britax b safe 35 review they actually mention negatives. I'm curious how did it serve you. How easy is to install.

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Never had any problem with seat belt or isofix seats.

Isofix seats go in much easier if you buy the plastic guides that clip onto the metal bars on the seat.

Mar 27, 2019
Nottingham
We’ve just had our second and I’m struggling for space so having to get an estate. It was ok with one kid seat behind the passenger side but now i have one behind me im struggling to have enough space for my little legs and the baby seat. i think it does get better as they get older though, the baby seat deffo takes up more space than the toddler one - the seat belt only just reaches around the baby seat.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise