LEON CR fluttering boost problem

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
After alot of messing around trying to locate the cause for loss of power and hesitation under acceleration, I have finally solved the mystery. This is on an AUM engine which is identical to the AUQ (180bhp), so not sure if it will apply to LCRs. Having repaired and re-fitted the hose and driven it for a couple of days, the hesitation has gone, full power has returned and the fuel consumption is alot better according to the the MFI.

The rubber hose has rotted due to oil and ruptured under boost. This hose will see full boost pressure.
Hose%20leak%20001.jpg

This is the location of the hose, please note the hose is not fitted in this photo.
Hose%20leak%20005.jpg

My repair using puncture repair kit and tie wraps.
Hose%20leak%20006.jpg

i cant see the pictures so i have no idea what your on about

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
just had a browse at my car and changed N75's from the previous one i had no change to my situation and also tried the coil packs and no change to anythin,
also thought the air con on might shed some light if it was a power issue but nothin

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Ive had a new standard actuator fitted now (had forge fully adjustable) and now its cured my surging! Not sure if yours could be donw to faulty actuators (it confuses the hell out of the n75 so thats why it surges) but worth a look

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Scotty b, good news, could the Forge actuator not be adjusted to run properly?

Sargey, I see the photos still have not come back. The hose I replaced is at the front of the engine and can be seen by looking down through the inlet manifold. It is a rubber hose connected to the underside of the inlet just to the right of the dipstick. The hose is joined to a plastic valve in another hose by a rubber strap. PM me your email address if you want the photos sent to you. Mine has no surging at all and I can now achieve high 30s on the O/A mpg setting on the MFA. It is quite a bit quicker now too.

Scotty_b

Leon Cupra 300R
Jun 3, 2004
Hertfordshire
Yeah if you could guess where it needed to to be, 2 weeks of tweaking and still coulnt get it to run, revo said rip it off and alls good!

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
i also changed this hose the othyer day and all is well :) but i need to also change the hose from the cam cover aswell as i dont think its perfect just yet.

spen68

Hi guys, I'm new here so sorry if the answer's in here somewhere...

I've got a Y plate Leon Cupra which does that surging thing too.. You floor it and kind of get on/off waves of power.. I always imagined it was maybe the turbo on it's way out. It feels like the Turbo boosts then dumps a little pressure then boosts again.. despite that the car's still brutally quick! I REVO'd it plus the previous owner fitted an Induction kit and a noisy dump valve (not sure which) which I had replaced because of odd fluttering noises and lumpy tickover. I don't know which dump valve I'm running now to be honest.. the Garage said it was a used one that came of an Audi TT if that's any clue??

So, what's on your list of most likely problems??

Also while I'm at it I have a couple more questions if you don't mind?? Any idea how to stop the Alarm/Immobiliser from locking the car automatically.. really annoying when the Dog's still sat in the boot! One last one... I'm looking for a Cupra R but where I live I'll be scraping that low front every day... Is it easy to lose that lower lip without ruining the looks of the car??

Cheers guys. :help:

corradophil

Sep 14, 2004
Essex
Sargey, no it's not connected to the N249, it is separate from all the plumbing for that. The hose which failed connects directly to the underside of the inlet manififold and connects directly to another hose on the N/S of the engine. It is strapped to another hose with a plastic valve in it. They are situated closer to the engine than the N249 etc, you need to move the N249 and associated plumbing out of the way to get to it.

OliMonty

Mk 3 Ibiza Cupra
Mar 13, 2007
Hi all, been monitoring this thread for a while. My ICR also experienced this, fluttering and hesitant power when trying to accelerate low down the rev range. I tried to ignore it but a trip to the nurburg and a heck load of driving made it worse, got to level where i had to be at 5-7k revs to have any smooth power. Then once i returned to england the old girl actually slowed down and backfired when trying to accelerate (felt like i was running 10bhp).

I booked her in to SEAT where they tried a number of options and finally concluded it was a faulty MAF sensor ( i was reluctant to believe this as some havent experienced any joy replacing these by the looks of this thread and the car idled perfectly). Anyway to cut a long story short the guys from congesbury were spot on - car runs and feels like a dream and feels a hell of a load faster and much more responsive, no flutter *touching wood* as yet and could be faster than when i first bought it!

I hope this helps others in a similar situation although i appreciate this issue could result from a number of things!

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
Holders? your from weston then? as i am....what colour is ur ICR? as theres a red ICR going round and a few yellow IC's..They were quite dubious on me asking for a new coil pack under warranty when i went in there, i also asked for a new N249 and they gave me a N112 valve instead.

They are ok but not that great

My hesitation is still happening but i had to replace my breather hose on the crankcase recently, that didnt change a thing, but i doubt it would have anyway

has anybody booked their car in to a stealer and asked for a pressure test to check for leaks? im tempted to ask to get mine in

Kogi

May 3, 2006
I booked her in to SEAT where they tried a number of options and finally concluded it was a faulty MAF sensor ( i was reluctant to believe this as some havent experienced any joy replacing these by the looks of this thread and the car idled perfectly). Anyway to cut a long story short the guys from congesbury were spot on - car runs and feels like a dream and feels a hell of a load faster and much more responsive, no flutter *touching wood* as yet and could be faster than when i first bought it!

I hope this helps others in a similar situation although i appreciate this issue could result from a number of things!

I have the same issue with my LeonFR after a remap, the 2nd gear is terrible on low revs, when I accelerating from under 2,000rpm or so , trying to hit 4,000rpm to shift to the 3rd - I'm experiencing boost fluttering which shakes my car all the way to the 3rd gear ... However the high revs - go smoooth ...

Anyway, could you please describe precisely what have you done to ya MAF sensor , e.g replace the unit , fix it etc .... I am planing to visit my workshop and bring them this idea which might help them to resolve this problem ..

thanx !!!!

wilksy

tfsi
Aug 13, 2005
oxford
for the new guys try checking if these hoses are ok or have any oily residue near them as this would indicate a slight leak of boost which causes hesitation.
S6000781-vi.jpg

S6000779-vi.jpg

S6000777-vi.jpg

also if you havent tried the n75 situated in this pic change this aswell as these can be affected by leaky pipes if not found quickly
S6000678-vi.jpg

this photo shows a close up of th n75 and is on the turbo intake pipe behind the plastic engine cover

OliMonty

Mk 3 Ibiza Cupra
Mar 13, 2007
They replaced the MAF sensor and 'made good' ie reattached some connectors to the secondary air valve that were loose. That is all and still feels solid as of yet (work done last Saturday).

Have a yellow ICR, Im from the southish side of Bristol, so holders in congesbury is the closest bar a recently rebadged dealer which im not sure is up and running yet somewhere near IKEA.

STEVEO@CYMRU

Lucky 7
Oct 19, 2003
CAERPHILLY S.WALES
Visit site
dont know if this helps but got an idea off anyd blunt and he said to check my plug gaps and suprise they were a mile out so did the gaps and the hesitation under heavy acceleration has gone will try it this week and see how it goes . but so far so good:D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members