Leon Cupra 290 (MK 3.5) GPF

Jan 25, 2023
Evening all,

I’m pretty much a novice when it comes to cars hence why I am on here asking the question.

I recently purchased a MK 3.5 Leon Cupra (2020) and I am slightly underwhelmed with the noise that it produces.

I am assuming my car has a GPF filter and if so, will removing it increase the noise?

Adam

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I'd think that any future inspection would reveal that you had removed/gutted GPF and hopefully end up with you paying something like £615 a year road tax.

My daughter has a May 2019 reg'd Cupra and to me, it sounds like there is very little sound muffling going on, it will have a GPF and it was bought from a SEAT main dealer, so no one has tampered with it. What I'm saying is, we can hear it driving into our small housing estate before she appears at the top of the driveway.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Evening all,

I’m pretty much a novice when it comes to cars hence why I am on here asking the question.

I recently purchased a MK 3.5 Leon Cupra (2020) and I am slightly underwhelmed with the noise that it produces.

I am assuming my car has a GPF filter and if so, will removing it increase the noise?

Adam
I'd think that any future inspection would reveal that you had removed/gutted GPF and hopefully end up with you paying something like £615 a year road tax.

My daughter has a May 2019 reg'd Cupra and to me, it sounds like there is very little sound muffling going on, it will have a GPF and it was bought from a SEAT main dealer, so no one has tampered with it. What I'm saying is, we can hear it driving into our small housing estate before she appears at the top of the driveway.

By removing the GPF, your car would be considered to be unroadworthy. Most - if not all - insurance policies will have a requirement in the small print for the car to be kept in a roadworthy condition at all times, so removing the GPF would invalidate your policy, meaning;
  • you‘d driving uninsured (criminal offence)
  • if you needed to claim under your policy, the claim wouldn’t be covered; potentially very costly if you’re unfortunate enough to injure anyone in an accident (injury claims can be very expensive), not to mention the cost of repairing / replacing damaged vehicles.
GPF removal would also cause the EML to illuminate, which would be an MOT fail.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.