Leon Cupra Calipers Painted.

Simsy

Feb 21, 2005
Spent last weekend on my hands and knees..... Painting my calipers: D

Decided on blue for the colour, due to matching the car itself but also as it is a similar shade to the VW R32 caliper colour.

Firstly I would say is prepare the calipers by buying a wire brush to shift the dirt and grime build up and importantly some brake cleaner to clean dirt grease etc from the surface before painting. This can be purchased from Halfords for about tenner in total.

I used lots of masking tape to protect the discs and pads and rubber grommets.

Now if you’re using Hammerite smooth, I would suggest rubber gloves and some thinners to clean up your brushes after.

The whole job, Jacking up the car cleaning, masking & painting took about 5 hrs. Then there was the drying time allowing the paint to cure, this took all evening.

The car has been used regularly since the weekend and at times testing the brakes to get them super hot has not affected the paint, so a good job all round.

Comments welcome.

DSC02455.jpg

DSC01350.jpg

DSC02449.jpg

DSC01351.jpg

DSC01352-1.jpg

Andi

Back in Black
Mar 5, 2006
Inverness
Looks realy good, but im a bit worried that you used a scissor jack to keep car up in air.

I other think i would recomend is to paint the bell of the disks silver now ?

Simsy

Feb 21, 2005
tris said:
i didnt want to use the scissor jack and i only had 2 axle stands so i had to do 2 1st then wait and then do the other 2

not risking leaving it on a scissor jack

Yeah I was dubious about putting it on the scissor jack. I've seen some posts on ukmk4's where they have fallen off and caused serious damage!!!!

The other side was held up with a 2 ton trolley jack. Left nasty dimples in the tarmac though!!!

Thanks for all your comments BTW.

Toying with the idea of Seat heat resistant logos, any thoughts on this?

Simsy

Feb 21, 2005
Svenster said:
Looks a nice finish

How many coats of Hammerite did you use?

Just the one coat, going to apply another when I have more time.
Should make it more durable and super shiney.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I would personally leave the stickers before it starts looking like an amateur job - its looks rather professional as it is now.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.