Leon Cupra -> Hyundai Coupe S111

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Yeah, I must admit amccan10.. One thing I have heard from many and varied sources is that reliability is not an issue.

Space, perhaps so. I'm 6'4". I have my seat all the way back in the LC which leads me to think the Coupe can only be worse.

Either way, performance alone seems to have ruled this car out. If they managed to squeeze a forced induction engine into their range I'd be very inclined to purchase the S111. The looks are amazing and the interior is really quite nice. Not to mention the generous specification.

Simply put, they look fast but are slow. This simply will not do!

I've heard no real "bad press" for this car. Not from any of the reviews. The only negative comments are down to economy and performance.

Mar 5, 2007
YOU WILL get stick for driving a Hyundai though. I got thorough ABUSE from my work colleagues for it :)

When I actually said, well what is wrong with it. Err, it's a Hyundai!

And...

Badge snobbery is still rife.

Still, with a board like ours and most people with LC/R's the coupe is never going to warrant serious consideration because of it's crappy CRAPPY engine.

If they really do bring out a ~250bhp rwd variant, i'd seriously consider going back!

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Just read this thread wit interest.

I test drove a Hyundia Couple the day I bought my Celica (was the 2004 model but pre the facelift that year).

Apart from it breaking down on the test drive, flat battery when the engine cut out (car has been sat in the showroom and only done 20 miles. It was an okay car I suppose just not my cup of tea.

Depreciation is terrible, if I'd have ordered one that weekend I'd have got £2500 off list they were discounting them new that much. Also servicing costs are through the roof at the main dealer.

That aside I know 2 people who are on their second one, but it tends to be an older age group than me (I'm 33). The spec on the 2.0 or 2.7 is good value for the money.

Somebody earlier mentioned their neighbour has a Focus ST1 and complains about the traction. An ST1 has no ESP as standard so I imagine would be a nightmare in the wet. ESP makes such a difference as I found out on the SEAT track day.

The Focus ST is a lovely car, in some ways better than my Cupra but the mpg is terrible...

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Yeah, it's my neighbour, Sam, who has the Focus ST1. (Before anyone starts on at me about ST1 being same performance as ST2 and ST3.. I know the different is purely spec/equipment based). The ability, or inability of the Focus ST to put the power down in the wet is a bit disappointing, to say the least. But there ya go.. FWD for ya.

Ford haven't made a performance variant of their domestic machines in the UK that featured 4WD/AWD or RWD for sometime. By performance, I mean ST, XR, RS or Cosworth. But there ya go. Ford are conscious of insurance group, as would any manufacturer anxious to shift units.

At the end of the day, and I have said this a few times now, it's performance that dictates a cars allure, to me at least. Why? Because I'm 23 - not married, not a homeowner and I've got a bit of disposable income each month. That and I'm a car enthusiast! Hot-hatches and coupes are the name of the game, right?

Never mind - if a car has the looks and a low price, but performance is lacking and service costs are unreasonable - I'm unlikely to entertain the idea. Perhaps I'll wait for the RWD model to leave the Hyundai base-camp.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
Ford haven't made a performance variant of their domestic machines in the UK that featured 4WD/AWD or RWD for sometime. By performance, I mean ST, XR, RS or Cosworth. But there ya go. Ford are conscious of insurance group, as would any manufacturer anxious to shift units.

I read somewhere a few years ago that it was far too expensive to fit a 4WD drive train to the Mark 1 Focus floorpan, but as I'm sure you know there is supposed to be a new Focus RS in a year or so, potentially with 4WD.

Out of interest Ford apparently lost £7000 on each Focus RS they sold.

I agree about the car not just being down to looks. My Celica looked amazing but the performance was nothing startling by today's standards. Even the 190 version isn't close to most current hot hatches.

ajoellew

Oct 24, 2006
Bristol
Just a suggestion, but why not consider something like a 350Z?

Great looking cars, supposed to be great to drive and pretty solid mechanically. Thinking about chopping mine in for one in the summer. They can be had for about £15k if you look around.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on Bonsai-Cars's website. They boast about being one of the major importers of the 350Z models. Interesting stuff, if nothing else. Could do a lot worse than a 350Z, without a doubt.. only thing that worries me is insurance costs. Reliability and performance, coupled with uniqueness and looks... it's one helluva package. But there ya go....

Phil, it's part of the reason they made the Focus RS in limited numbers. They were making them at a loss from day one. Sparco, Recaro, Quaife etc. all top-name performance brands came as standard and with absolutely NO optional extras - the car was fairly high-spec from the outset. Part of why they still command a good price, even after 5+ years. A lovely car - but, as we all know.. front-wheel drive. (LCR is better, anyway... and that hurts, as a Ford-fan!).

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Answer = Remap.

I'm deffo going to be doing mine sometime this year.

The thing is, with just about any sensibly affordable car you can buy you WILL get used to its performance, no matter what it is. My LCR feels slower, even though it probably isn't, and I've had mine around 10 months now. Speed is a drug to be honest. The more you have, the more you want......

If I continue at this rate I'll be going stage 2 in 2009 and big turbo in 2010!

Either that or I'll make a million and buy a Lambo... ;)

bcstudent

Boost FTW
Apr 17, 2005
Norwich, UK
I would seriously consider spending a grand on performance mods for your LC if you're otherwise happy with the car. I liked my LC in 180bhp form, but now I *love* it. It's such a lot of fun to drive.

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
Answer = Remap.

I'm deffo going to be doing mine sometime this year.

The thing is, with just about any sensibly affordable car you can buy you WILL get used to its performance, no matter what it is. My LCR feels slower, even though it probably isn't, and I've had mine around 10 months now. Speed is a drug to be honest. The more you have, the more you want......

If I continue at this rate I'll be going stage 2 in 2009 and big turbo in 2010!

Either that or I'll make a million and buy a Lambo... ;)

my feelings EXACTLY.

within the next six months im going to be getting a custom turbo back exhaust, fmic and stage 2 map. im probably not gonna bother with a stage 1 map due to my plans to go stage 2 within a few months anway.

amccan10

Feb 16, 2007
Wishaw
"Space, perhaps so. I'm 6'4". I have my seat all the way back in the LC which leads me to think the Coupe can only be worse."

Well i doubt you'll be able to fit in it. lol I'm 6'3". When i sat in the driver seat i was too tall to see properly out of the windscreen. The front of the roof came down too low and i was looking straight at the headlining. It's the same problem in the RX8 that i was looking at the otherday. Was in the sales room picking up my dads motor and even the sales guy was slating me cos i had to cower down to see out.

Last edited:

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
im 6.1, and had plenty room, but i do have the seat reclined alot. They salesman that sold me the car was 6 4 himself and didnt seem to have probs.

Was a right pain when I tracked her, as the helmet would rub the roof :whistle:

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions

Totally agree - had a stage 2 remap four weeks ago, noticed it for the first couple of weeks, now feel like its 'warn' off almost as if the map had a finite life. You know its still there but....

Same with the bikes. I quite often feel on the blade and especially the blackbird, that they're gutless and could do with more oomph. Obviously they are not gutless with 160ishbhp a piece each.

The human mind and soul will never be satisfied when it comes to speed and power. :cry: