Leon Cupra -> Hyundai Coupe S111

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Precisely. I think the new S3 is too expensive - but there ya go. It's all relative.

Pistonhead's will sell you a 2002 era 1.8T 20v 225 Quattro S3 for £13,000 - easy. Same price as a Focus ST. Audi S3 > Focus ST in pretty much every aspect.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I get the feeling you had no idea of what you want, your just bored...What happened to that Celica?

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
I test drove one 2 weeks ago. I loved it. HPI came back a bit dubious. Decided to wait and see. Plus the paint was a bit crap. Performance wise, it blew it away. It was a standard import.. 255BHP I believe (although in reality, probably less). The one thing that amazed me was the launch grip. Such an alien feeling!

I'm on the GT4 OC and I'm keeping up to date with Pistonhead's Celica classifieds.

And yeah, I am bored. That's just it. Which is why the urge to change up or down is fleeting. I honestly think I'd be over the moon with a Stage 2 tune-up. I fail to see why I'd realistically need anymore power than that available - I'd kill myself.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Hehe. You're right.. I can't argue with you, Jonjay! You're like the voice(s) in my head.

I was actually considering a C70 2-door Volvo T5. That's how bored I am.

Sod it. Stage 2 incoming.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
also forgot to mention EVO have been adn still are running a Coupe V6 is a track day car, surprisingly good.

Romeoisgraham

Mr Harris
Aug 14, 2007
On the run
public.fotki.com
Ive a couple coupes on my fleet at work, they are utter pants. had nothing but problems with all of them. The interior is full on gay too, the only good thing about the car is the front lights and the front seats.

Mar 5, 2007
I had a coupe prior to the LCR. The original shape evo variant.

Still a lovely looking car now. Absolutely pales in comparison to the performance of the remapped baby, but I miss the cockpit, the leather searts, the sporty suspension, and the fact the bugger never put a foot wrong.

One thing I noticed when changing to the LCR. The girlies stop checking you out, and the chavs start!

LCR = Tough looking
Coupe = Very pretty

So, which do you want? :)

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
by the sounds of things lickwid your not gunna be happy with another fwd car. I'm in the same boat mate. It's amazing how difficult it is to find a good alternative to a leon for spec/performance/looks. the coupe is going to dissapoint on the performance side of things imo.

i dont know about your situation regarding family etc but have you thought about a lotus elise or a 4wd tt? they've come down to reasonable money and offer all out bang per buck.

I'd seriously consider a lotus if it wasn't for the practicality side of things ie passenger seats.

DodgyDave

May 15, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
Funny this popping up just now ......

Had a blast with one a few days ago, think Friday night comming home (so well after the rush-hour, roads very quiet). Now i know a lot of it comes down to the driver but i was not at all impressed with it. Even with my boost turned down (1.1bar max) i just pulled away from it and it was all over the place in the bends.

But .. before i got my Leon, so 7 and a bit years back, i did look at a new Hyundai Coupe, at the time the V6 was to much cash and the 2l was very tempting, great seats, stunning to look at, but very cramped in the inside (i'm 6'1-ish) so passed it by.

You'd get a lot more fun & a far bigger grin going big-turbo on the Leon - and they will last no probs ;)

Dave

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I was seriously considering one about 18 months back.

the 2.0 is barely slower than the 2.7, it's a big lazy v6, but sounds nice.

well specced, and will lose value like it's in freefall.

I had to change my plans because of access to get in / out

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
At the end of the day, Sheffboy is correct. It is hard to find and alternative to the LC/LCR. Meh.

The 4x4 TT is a nice idea and I'd adore one.. maybe that's the route?

Fcuk knows.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
I used to have a 2.7 v6, on paper its not much quicker than a 2.0, but in real world it is by some distance.

My v6 stock on two dynos gave 182 and 186bhp.

From a roll it would beat a normal leon cupra, not by much tho.

Down side was fuel 15-20mpg.

Also the clutches on the v6 are **** too

I had mine fitted with a roots supercharger (eaton).

And spec stage twp clutch, plus other bits bobs.

The sound was mental, plus the 8mpg!!!

It would keep with sti's , boxter s etc.

I've vid if your interested.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Yeah, please do. Root type chargers are the way to go with these, apparently.

What was it producing with the charger?

[email protected] for the video, I'd really appreciate that matey.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
Lickwid

I really don't envy you. It's horrible when you have that 'seven year itch', no sooner you pick up your new car - 5 minutes later you're looking at the next one.

I had it, but fortunately lost it some years (about five) ago. It costs a packet to maintain the dream and in the end it never turns out as good as you expect. Fact.

I don't know the answer to this - just keep scratching til that itch stops. Mine answer was multiple vehicle and getting old!!! :cry:

amccan10

Feb 16, 2007
Wishaw
The coupe is too small. It's really onlt a 2 seater car, you ever seen some one sitting in the back? I have been in the back and it's a joke. had to sit with my back hunched down and my head was still hitting off the roof. looked like a right twat trying to get in and out of the thing.

Fine if your only ever going to have a max of 2 people in it anymore and it's just not practical.

They're over priced, depreciate quickly and don't have a good reputation within the motor trade. (my mate at work has one and it's never out the garage)

Mar 5, 2007
Twaddle. The coupe is a great car. Will depreciate (if bought new) and isn't fast.

It'll fit 4 people and it's very reliable.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members