Leon Cupra in EVO

si.mcadam

Just to let you all know that the Cupra is reviewed in this months EVO....
Black one, looks good but needs the options body kit though.

They said:

4 1/2 stars

+ Great engine, impressive composure
- Lacks the adjustability of the old Cupra R

Nice to see that the Boys at EVO are a bit more into SEAT these days

Si

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
They did say though SEAT should have made it look more special though...... (another one!!)
They liked the LCR alot so its no suprise they like the cupra, that dark purple is weird sometimes it looks really nice other times it just looks dull IMHO.

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
Yes an interesting read, they really havent made it visualy any different outside from the FR, wheels aside...

& I was fixed on black again, but have to agree with their remark about the front meshed areas & rear valances getting lost.

Maybe Yellow it is ??

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
They did say though SEAT should have made it look more special though...... (another one!!)
They liked the LCR alot so its no suprise they like the cupra, that dark purple is weird sometimes it looks really nice other times it just looks dull IMHO.

We've been lead to believe that the press car prototypes were all in Flat Black, not Inferi. But i've not seen the images in EVO. Just read the review in Top Gear Magazine and that car looks like a flat black.

However dull suits me just fine. :) Id much rather blend in than stand out like a big belisha beacon. And resale on Yellow cars doesn't seem to be that strong really, just look at yellow R's. Its colour thats based on taste.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
There is no excuse for a yellow car - I enjoyed the review in EVO, its the only car mag's opinion that I respect. Certainly sounds like a good drive, the engine is good and dynamics are there, but the asthetics just let it down so badly in my opinion - even the wheels look like something off a rep-mobile. I'm sure they will sell, but its an opportunity lost I think.

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
The exact words regarding the colour are:

'If you're fantasising about finding one of these under the xmas tree this year,make sure its the right colour. Yellow, perhaps. Or Red. In fact just about any colour other than this very dark metallic purple, which looks black from any distance beyond about eight inches. Crucially it fails completely to make the black finish at the bottom of the read bumper, the larger grille at the front and the Ebony Black door mirrors and B-pillars stand out.'

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
think the EVO article also says they have a good looking Aero Kit and should have stuck that kit on the cupra........couldn't agree more IMO

Can leave it off for me then. Looks like a bottom feeder with that kit on imho

Wheels and the rear wing i could live with, but the big gaping holes do nothing for my taste, but then I am getting old. :rolleyes:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I've gone for Black this time for a change, just sold a near silver coloured (Platinum R), so that was out, and Syphon is on about Silver anyway so wasn't clashing.

Yellow im just not brave enough for, though it does look striking, i just know that the resale value won't be there in 3 years. Didn't fancy the red, so it came down to Zenith Grey or the Inferi Black.

And as i've not had a black car for yonks, last one was a Nova SR in 1993 (hardly classes as a car :p)

I thought what the hell, they do look great when they have been cleaned.

Last edited:

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
Good review and pleased they liked it too. I personall think the center grill should be honey conb and not slatted and interior should have an injencton of colour for the cabin to lift it and define it from lesser models

20vtB0b

Cupra R - No looking back
Mar 25, 2003
Woking
Visit site
I've just read the review too. As I've said before (too many times ;)) I agree with what they say about the styling, its just too tame, although it does get better each time I see it. I think it will look best in red/yellow or silver, the black plastic bit at the back just looks wrong on the black car - sorry Z :(

Its interesting that they preferred the handling on the LCR, given how good we keep hearing the handling on the Mk. 2s is. Still, I suppose not everyone believes the LCR handles like a barge.

I still have a suspicion that in a year or so's time Seat will release a Cupra+ (I wonder what they will call it ?) just as they did with the Cupra/Cupra R first time round. Either that, or they will spice it up quite a bit come facelift time.

Bob

Knigh

Jul 9, 2005
W Sussex
I tend to agree with Bob - they are trying to appeal to the masses and then will tinker to make it stand out. Problem is if the masses don't go for it then they will have a bit of a lemon their hands.

Still like my FR+ and at this time would not change it.

Eri

Oct 7, 2006
Can leave it off for me then. Looks like a bottom feeder with that kit on imho

Wheels and the rear wing i could live with, but the big gaping holes do nothing for my taste, but then I am getting old. :rolleyes:

Hi Mark,

Today they fitted the side skirts on my Cupra and in my optinion it's the only item of the seat sport kit you should buy. Sadly i couldn't take pictures at that moment but i can tell you it looks great.:rock: I will get my car next tuesday i will post some pictures then.

Cheers,

Eric

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.