Leon cupra r starting issues

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
Hey guys, having some issues with my car it's an 03 bam Leon cupra r and if I leave it for more than 12 hours it struggles to start. Can take from 5 to 20 attempts to get it started. If I leave it for several days it's so much worse, can take 25 to 50 goes to get started and backfires a lot at first.

Recently changed the spark plugs.

Here is a video I took today after it had sat for about 17 hours. Note that at 55 seconds which is the 4th attempt it shows a slight sign of life. Then around 2min mark attempt 7 I think it shows a little more life. Then attempt 8 at about 2m23sec it finally starts.

Once started it drives alright and starts fine up to 10 hours later. Though occasionally there is a lag in boost pressure picking back up when wot and changing gear.

Also note a horrible buzzing this car has when idle or driving under 30mph. Don't notice it at higher speed.

Video:

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
I’d do a compression check first. If that’s ok pull the fuel feed hose off in the engine bay hold it in a clear bottle and get someone to start the engine see if the fuel pump is working. When you first get into the car can you hear the fuel pump prime? Have you got anyone who can scan the car for saved and pending faults?

hombre_paulo

Jan 12, 2013
Id say fuel pump is the likely culprit. Quite common on these to fail, mine did around the 110k mark. The buzzing is certainly synonymous with a failing pump, mine whined like crazy as it was getting near complete failure.
Check you here it prime when you open the door and again when the ignition is turned to ACC

LCR AL

Jun 5, 2020
Also, if it is the fuel pump, next time you have trouble starting it. Lift the rear seat base forward and give the top of the fuel pump lid a few whacks!
This has helped a couple of people I know get their mk1 leons started and get the car back home to replace pump.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
Fuel pump primes when I turn the key and when running there is no problems. Think this might be beyond my capabilites at home, just wanted to hear some ideas.

300bhpdaily

May 26, 2020
The pumps are really straight forward to replace mate you can do it from inside the car under the rear bench is a hatch it’s 2 hoses/clip connector and some screws to undo.

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
The pumps are really straight forward to replace mate you can do it from inside the car under the rear bench is a hatch it’s 2 hoses/clip connector and some screws to undo.

Aye just saw a video looks simple enough. Cheers

ySoCereal

Jun 2, 2016
Anyone have a link to a reasonably priced fuel pump? The car is stage 2 mapped with 4 bar fpr, should it have an upgraded pump?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.