Leon Cupra R v Leon FR diesel opinions please!

lard44

Watching C beams...
Apr 30, 2007
Braintree, Essex
Hi all,

Looking to change my car to one or the above.

I'm attracted to the power and tuning abilities of the Cupra R, and my budget can probably stretch to an 04/05 plate at a push. On the other hand, the insurance and running costs are higher than the alternative.

I'm attracted to the torque and economy of the FR diesel, and can probably stretch to a 55 plate - one of the last of the old shape with less miles than the Cupra R.

I drive about 40miles a day, mostly A roads, but do like to take my Ibiza out for a 'proper' spin down country lanes whenever possible.

Would I regret buying a Cupra R because of the higher running costs? Or would I regret buying an FR diesel knowing that, without spending serious money, I'll never break 200bhp (when I can remap a Cupra to 265 easy?) What do you guys think?

Help!:cry:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
i think LCR's are quite cheap now, get one for 9-10k. They are great value for money for what you get.

DIFT

Torquing all the Torque
Oct 8, 2004
Kent/London
I'd dare say it would be cheaper to buy the LCR over a similar age and milage FR TDI.

If you really have to think about it, I would get the LCR (assuming your doing ~12000 miles a year)

I love my derv, but as above, occassionally lust after the LCR/new Cupra.

NeilW

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yorkshire!!!
Simple answer is to go and test drive both. When I had my LCR on some days it was fantastic and gave me great pleasure to drive. Lots of power and torque, pushed back into your seat acceleration, great remapping potential, etc.

On other days when I wasn't really in the mood it used to piss me off no end with the harsh ride, heavy steering, brake squeal, crap fuel economy etc.

Now I drive a nice torquey PD130 Bora and, to be really honest, I don't miss the LCR one bit. Especially at the petrol station.

Although I seem to remember saying exactly the same thing 3 years ago when I owned a Leon Cupra 180bhp and replaced it with a nice sensible 1.6 Ford Focus. After a while boredom set in and I bought the LCR.......

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
Go for the R.

If I could have afforded the insurance on one I probably wouldn't have got the diesel.

Running costs shouldnt break the bank unless you are a high miler.

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
Running it isn't that bad, they are expensive to run, but, you dont buy it to get great miles to the gallon!
Puts a smile on my face every day, and Mr Shells/Inventor of V-Powers too!

All before the ban - Not the LCR's fault tho!

olaf

Dodo Lover!!
Aug 19, 2006
Ipswich
I guess what is about will affect the cost and therefore your decision. Or if you have your heart set on a specific colour, etc.

But as has been said before go out and have a test drive in both.

Working out the running costs of each (may not be as much difference as you would think). Take into account fuel, tax, insurance, etc.

Then you will be in a much better position to make what is basically a very personal decision.

Mike Green

Cupra crazy
May 4, 2007
Surrey
Seeing as you do 40 odd miles a day, it would be less cost in the long run to get the FR diesel but saying that the LCR is soo much fun to drive.

If you are going to be doing those miles and cane the car then you will feel it hit the wallet but then an LCR is not the car to get if you want high MPG.

I would say the LCR (I am biased i must admit, and have never driven a FR diesel) just because of the fun factor. If you are prepared to spend a little more on petrol, insurance and maintenance then go for the Cupra R. I have lost count of the amount of people saying you wont be disappointed - and its true.

Let us know what you decide.

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
I had same decision too couple of months back. I'm doing 60 miles a day and wanted an LCR for ages so it actually wasnt too hard a choice. :D

Although you aren't gonna get awsome mpg out of it, it really can be reasonable when you want it to be. Many times i have got around 35/36 mpg according to the trip computer (dunno how reliable it really is though) when not pushing it.

Also, a similar age diesel will be more to buy initially as they always are.
Go for the LCR imo, :happy:

Reg

Professional Detailer
Oct 10, 2005
Berkshire
I've just sold our Cupra R, the main reason was fuel bills. during the week my wife uses it every day, doing 50 miles a day. She drives briskly, not foot down all the time but she doesn't hang about, we get an average of 27mpg, so for arguments sake that is nearly a tenner's worth of fuel a day. Combined with the fact ours is 2.5 years old, and has done just under 34k miles, I don't want a Seat out of warranty, and I hate the new Leon. running costs for the R have been no worse than any other car - servicing is perfectly accpetable, brakes and tyres last fine unless you drive like a complete twat, but same goes for any other car

The last thing that made me want to getrid of it is the fact its FWD, something I just can't stand. After driving my Beemer around, get in the Leon and acclerate with the steering wheel writhing - I hate it. So I'm replacing it with another RWD Coupe (diesel this time too).

I've loved our time with the Cupra R, and glad we bought it over a diesel at the time, but things change.

If you can afford the fuel bills, go for the R, you won't regret it.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
You know what Rob i was just going to rant about that when the thread first started but i left it.

Last edited:

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
You should have done! People might start to read the stickies then. I mean, how often do we have threads asking for part numbers, suspension information, ownership comparisons (such as this thread) etc when the info is all there already, right at the top of the forum! I mean, it's right next to the button you press to start a new thread! ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members