Leon FR stock suspension question

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
does the stock mk1 Leon FR suspension set the car any lower?
I mean I have now a 1,6 16v and I could buy a stock FR suspension set, will this setup be any lower then the existing stock set I do have right now?
is it worth the change over the one I have now?
or just save the money for an "el cheapo" ebay coilover? or don't bother neighter of them, go and buy an apex/koni/bilstein/etc? wouldn't it be a bit of an overkill for 105 PS?
any ideas appreciated

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
It'll most likely make the front end sit higher as the spring rates will be wrong for a 1.6 which is lighter then the 1.9TDi.

We have the JOM coilovers at £180 if they're of any interest to you.

Damian @ DPM Performance

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
It'll most likely make the front end sit higher as the spring rates will be wrong for a 1.6 which is lighter then the 1.9TDi.

We have the JOM coilovers at £180 if they're of any interest to you.

Damian @ DPM Performance

nice, thanks
but shipping to Hungary would be another 180 GBP :)

so basically the stock FR suspension (in a Cupra FR) isn't lower (like shorter springs) than my existing setup?

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
as I am not convinced that budget coilover would work better than my stock ones (apart that they setting the car lower and the ride is getting more harsh since the lack of travel) I was thinking about getting a more expensive one.
so I came across Weitec Hicon GT and Apex RDX as I still can not afford koni/bilstein.

any of those two are considered to be good? I mean better handling/ride quality with the same setup as my stock ones. (not lowered)

what I am after is abot 20-30mm drop with 17" wheels, bit more "sporty" handling, but still 85% like the original one, with a "performance" upgrade feeling.

do I need yellow not adjustable koni's instead of cheap coilovers?

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
The KW's are a better quality kit but you won't get the height adjustable ones unless your spending £600+.

They are yes lol

Damian @ DPM Performance

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
The KW's are a better quality kit but you won't get the height adjustable ones unless your spending £600+.
that's what I can not decide
- do I need height adjustability and therefore have to make compromise and get a coilover set
- I don't need the height adjustability and could buy a better performing shock

I think I would go for the second one. I drive about 12500 miles per year, and here we have plenty of bad roads. I hope I would not sacrifice lot of comfort with the KW

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.