Leon FR tdi first service

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
Hi, I am a fully qualified mechanic and don't really want to pay £120 or what ever the price is for my first service. Is it possible to get the genuine oil and filter and stuff and do it myself and get the service book stamped by a main dealer to cover my warrenty?
If anyone can help please let me know?

Thanks
Jamie

IanG

Aug 23, 2007
I think you need to have the service carried out by a VAT registered Mechanic/independent garage using genuine parts etc to keep your warranty intact

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
£120 for a service isn't actually that bad. mine was £145. Some independent VAT reg'd garages using genuine parts can be quite cheap. Just fish around for some prices.

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
Well i work for a VAT reg garage so if i get genuine parts that will still cover my warrenty? or has it gotta be a seat independant garage?

FAZ

Feb 6, 2002
Rossendale
Visit site
Off the AA website:

The European regulations governing the sale and after-sales servicing of new cars changed in October 2003. For new cars purchased after that date you are no longer obliged during the warranty period to get the car serviced by a franchise dealer.

You must however continue to get the car serviced according to the manufacturer's recommended schedule and criteria using only manufacturer approved parts.

The legislation only applies to the part of the warranty offered by the manufacturer, i.e. insurance-backed extended warranties offered by dealers are not covered.

If you do have the car serviced outside the dealer network it is essential that it's done to the maker's recommended schedule and criteria using approved parts. You must also keep records to enable you to demonstrate to the manufacturer that servicing was undertaken to their requirements.

Warranty work should still be undertaken by the franchised dealer as it is easier for them to deal directly with the manufacturer.

There's more information in the consumer advice section of the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) website, www.smmt.co.uk.

vt-marty

Manual is for Peasants
Nov 21, 2007
Marske by the Sea
the way i see it is this, you have anew car and may well have it 3 years (as i will when mine arrives) and in the event of a warranty claim trying to prove the car has been serviced correctly and at the right time will be a right chew.
if the car needs fixing under warranty they could be real awkward just cos its not their stamp in the book...and you did it yourself...

not worth the chew in my opinion.

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
I think i will talk to the bloke who sold it to me as he was a nice chap and very helpful but we shall see as i have a dash rattle and other things to do with the warrenty!

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
Post #5 pretty much sums it up.
As long as the vehicle is maintained according to the manufacturers recommendations, using genuine (or equivalent quality) parts, with full documentation of work carried out/mileage/date etc, then warranty remains intact.

Big_Mikey_G

Jul 30, 2009
Birmingham
My last service at Central Seat in Birmingham cost £190!

Was still cheaper than the only other Seat franchise in the whole of Birmingham which is Colliers Seat and charged £230 the year before!

PaulieB

Dec 23, 2007
Edinburgh
My 10K cost me £185 [:@]

Had my 20K done at a SEAT dealers in Spain while on hols and it cost half as much :D

my 20k cost £470... from a STEALER :(
Apparently disc breaks corrode / pit completely within 20k miles.... and it's not covered by warantee, and is due to heavy breaking..

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
thanks for all the advice i think i will do it myself and stamp it, i have looked at the SEAT service schedule and i do more than they do when i do a minor/6k service!

jaykicksass

Jun 11, 2009
devon
1st service is only basically oil and filter and kick the tyres! its in the service book as to what they do!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise