Leon Mk 1 Door Lock Modules

Daedalus

Over the past while I've been having what seems to be a very common problem with my door locks: Intermittent operation. My symptoms were:
  • Driver's door sometimes not opening via key fob
  • Courtesy light sometimes not working for driver's door (and so fuel pump not always priming)
  • Front passenger door not opening via key fob most of the time, though you could hear it trying
  • Rear left door not locking, not even trying

Since we had some lovely weather over the weekend, I took the opportunity to strip all my doors, removing the locking mechanisms and disassembling them to see if I could sort out the problems. Given these modules are around £120 each, it was worth a shot!

Each module was removed and bench tested so I could see what was happening. In all cases it appeared the motor was struggling slightly to flick the mechanism over. On the three mechanisms that were giving trouble, it seemed that the motor wouldn't even bother trying in some cases (the rear door module was stuck in this state). There was no power draw which indicated that the mechanism wasn't jammed solid, so I took the modules apart.

Separating the mechanical lock section from the electromechanical section is relatively straightforward. The lever connected to the internal opening handle needs to be pulled past its normal opening position, and the T8 Torx underneath the body needs to be removed. Two small clips and a large tensioning spring then hold the parts together. Once separated, the wires to a microswitch still join the two sections so be careful.

Only one module had the fault that's frequently suggested - the driver's door PCB had some cracked solder joints, which explains the intermittent operation of both the motor and the courtesy light. With these joints repaired however there were still "dead spots" in the mechanism - some positions where it wouldn't even try. This pointed to the motor itself, as it did in all 3 troublesome locks.

The motor itself looks fairly standard but I couldn't find an online source for it, so I had a go at disassembling it. Motors are simple devices really, but are precisely manufactured and are quite delicate internally so be super careful if you're doing this! Removing the motor from the lock mechanism meant simply holding the metal power connections in place with a screwdriver and gently pulling the motor body away. The power connections simply pull out of small slots in the motor's body, and then the motor can be disassembled.

Inside, the commutator was totally caked in carbon from the brushes. I cleaned it all up, flattened the edges on the brushes slightly with a tiny screwdriver, and reassembled and tested. The motor now worked fine with no dead spots and consistent torque.

Before reassembling the mechanism I took apart the rest of the gearing and levers associated with the motor, cleaned and greased them with special plastic-safe grease normally used for industrial printers. After assembly I tested the mechanism and it no longer needed any help switching over, regardless of where the motor was stopped. New grease was put in the mechanical portion and the whole lot was put back together in the door. The same was repeated for all 4 locks, and testing found that they were now working 100% of the time via the key fob. Result!

What I learned:
  • Worn motors appears to be a common fault for these modules, affecting 3 modules on my car
  • Only one module had poor solder connections
  • Every microswitch in every module was working perfectly

The only problem I now have is that one of my doors only opens from the outside the second time I pull the handle after unlocking. Similar to opening the doors from inside when they've been locked with the driver's door control, but on the outside. This shouldn't happen so I'll probably take that one apart again and see what's wrong. Might also take some photos of that since I neglected to do that the first time around.

I can put more details up if anyone needs them - turns out I'm very familiar with the workings of these modules now!

Wells73

May 3, 2016
I have just replaced my drivers side front and rear door locks for £30 per lock sent over from Germany. I believe this is a common fault, all work perfectly and the alarm also now sounds when it is armed... it didn't do that before. I've owned my car for only one month but I pretty much had all the symptoms you describe.

I just thought that for the sake of £30 each I would try and they are now perfect. I have one spare (right rear) as I bought an additional one for my friend who was going to buy a Leon with the same problem but the purchase fell through.

I too was quoted £120 per lock... there's a good chance that they're probably all coming out of the same factory I reckon.

Last edited:

747_727

Apr 2, 2012
Essex
I've had to replace all 4 of my locks over the last few years and I just bought cheap £20 locks off eBay what have all worked fine.

sockpuppet

Apr 30, 2007
Its worth adjusting the cable that goes in the door handle as you can do that without removing the door panel.It might be too loose and the reason you need to pull the handle twice.

Daedalus

@sockpuppet

Yes, that could be it alright. I did take a photo of the position and put it back exactly where it was, but I guess differences in the adjustments after putting it all back together might mean it needs a different position.

As for the cheaper locks, I might be tempted to give them a go too - there isn't £120 of manufacturing in the modules IMHO. It's hard to know good aftermarket parts from poor ones, so if you have a source for good ones feel free to share :)

Wells73

May 3, 2016
Yep, I've not heard of any adverse reports on the cheaper locks. I'm more than happy, I've just had a full respray and didn't want to have to keep opening the driver's door with a key for fear of missing and digging the key into the door. It's this simple things in life that make all the difference, such as fully functioning remote central locking:)

bascom

May 7, 2016
Going through the same issue here except that my front passenger door has CEASED shut:censored::censored:
have just managed to get the door card off with out TOOOO MUCH damage so i hopeful i can get in there get the door open and change the module

some pics of that you did to the motors and the strip down would be most helpful..

Wells73

May 3, 2016
I'm afraid I didn't take any pics. I did it with a friend of mine who has done them before. Sorry.

Daedalus

@bascom

As it happens, I did just need to slacken off the outside handle pull cable so I didn't strip down the door again and so don't have photos. If you've managed to get the module out of the door, this is a good guide to stripping down the electromechanical part.

Testing the module (before disassembly) can be done by applying power to the two pins furthest away from the mechanism. Swapping the polarity should swap the position of the locking toggle. It should still operate reliably with around 8 or 9 volts. If you find that occasionally it doesn't even try, it's likely to be either the solder joints shown in the link above, or the motor itself.

Taking the motor out and testing it by itself lets you stop the motor at different points and seeing if it has "dead spots" where it can't start itself without your help. This is most likely because of a contaminated commutator inside the motor.

Stripping the motor itself once you have it out is a little bit fiddly, but take your time and it's not too bad. The metal shell is held onto the transluscent section by two small tabs bent into grooves in the sides of the plastic. A small screwdriver and a snipe nosed pliers should let you bend them out. Once free, the metal cover can be removed, some gentle persuasion from the screwdriver might help. There are two magnets seated inside the metal housing, check them to make sure there are no metal filings stuck to them as they'll cause problems when it goes back together.

The next part is delicate so be careful! On the opposite side of the plastic body to the power terminals, there's a small plastic piece that can be removed by gently levering it out with a small screwdriver. This clamps the brushes in place. When it's removed, you'll be able to see the brushes against the commutator - a narrow metal ring at the end of the coils of wire. This image isn't of the same motor, but it's very similar and gives you an idea of what to look for. Bear in mind that the gear can't be removed from the shaft so you can't fully remove the plastic housing.
image.axd

The commutator can be seen to the left of the coils in this image, and should consist of three clean, brass colour segments with thin black gaps. Some staining is ok but it should be as clean as possible without damaging the surface.

Gently move the brushes apart so that you can slide the plastic housing up the shaft towards the gear. Once that's free you can see the commutator. Give that a clean with some cotton buds and some IPA, or contact cleaner or similar. Make sure that you dry it off fully if you didn't use 99% IPA in case there are residues left.

Next, give the brushes a slight scrape on the contact surfaces with the screwdriver. It's normal for them to be curved but they can be flattened a bit - like brake pads, they'll bed themselves in after a short while. Be careful not to bend them too far back so that you don't affect the contact pressure on them from their arms. Clean as much as you can of the carbon, then reassemble the motor. Be careful to prise the brush arms apart slightly so that they pass over the collar of the commutator without getting bent.

When the brushes are touching the commutator, the small plastic locking piece can be put in place. Next, the metal housing can be replaced. Be careful doing this - the magnets are strong enough to pull the armature (the windings) out of place, bending and damaging the brushes as it does. Make sure you hold the gear as well as the plastic housing. Once back together, it can be tested in the same way, and hopefully there are no more dead spots and better torque.

Reassemble the mechanism again, making sure it all fits together the way it came apart. The small partial gears should have full movement - if they're not put together correctly you'll see one won't be able to reach its proper position. I used Dow Corning DC4 grease, but any plastic-safe grease should be fine so long as it's not too heavy.

Once reassembled, the electromechanical portion should be easily switched by hand, moving the metal lever around should let you feel the mechanism moving end to end.

Finally, make sure that that lever fits correctly into the "fork" it engages with in the main mechanical portion, as if it doesn't the whole lot could jam up in a locked state.

Hope that helps, and sorry about the lack of photos. Next time I strip one down I'll document it properly!

bascom

May 7, 2016
thanks for that write up daedalus but wont be able to service my locking module, as it didnt survive the club hammer pry bar treatment lol..
but at least i got it changed over, now to figure out how to get the ribbed plastic latch back into the back of the outside door handle.......

Daedalus

LOL, fair enough :) The cable can be tricky alright, but if you put a small bit of grease on the pivot part it will stay in the orientation you put it. Just move it so that it's pointing diagonally upwards and towards the outside of the door before you put the module back in the door and it should be close enough to be able to grab it with a small pliers from the outside. Once you have it, it'll snap into place. I've found that it needs to be pulled a little beyond slack - maybe 1mm - and then snapped into the handle.

Hope you got it sorted anyway.

Last edited:

Cossie-boy

Nov 25, 2012
Great find, just got another MK1 FR and noticed drivers door has done it a couple of times.

So it is the actual lock you are all getting for £30.00 which has the module attached to it?

Cheers

CB

bascom

May 7, 2016
Hey daedalus i watched that link you posted and it all became clear..

Just above locking module screws inside the door, is a lil plastic gromit, remove the gromit and theres a t20 screw, undoing the screw releases the lock/blank on the exterior handle..

Which makes fitting that piddly little clip a hell of alot easier..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bascom

May 7, 2016
Lol
My old man kinda flicked it out with a screw driver, when we were first trying to get the door open...
DONT ASK, LOL

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cuprabod

Mar 24, 2003
Cheshire
I have just replaced my drivers side front and rear door locks for £30 per lock sent over from Germany. I believe this is a common fault, all work perfectly and the alarm also now sounds when it is armed... it didn't do that before. I've owned my car for only one month but I pretty much had all the symptoms you describe.

I just thought that for the sake of £30 each I would try and they are now perfect. I have one spare (right rear) as I bought an additional one for my friend who was going to buy a Leon with the same problem but the purchase fell through.

I too was quoted £120 per lock... there's a good chance that they're probably all coming out of the same factory I reckon.

Hi, did you buy your locks from eBay, if so could you tell me the name of the seller as the ones I have looked at all seem to have a lot of negative feedback, thanks

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise