Leon Roof Rack - Any recommendations?

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Another vote for the Thule bars from me.

The other thing to remember with the Thule bars is that they can be adapted (normally quite cheaply) to fit other cars, so when you sell the Leon the bars are still useful to you.

Not seen the official SEAT bars for the Leon myself, but I know the MK4 Ibiza ones are made by Atera, not Thule as stated above. I don't know for sure that the Leon ones are Atera, but I can't see SEAT having different roof bar suppliers for different cars.

Atera bars are supposed to be very good quality, although they aren't modular like the Thule bars, so you can't transfer them from car to car. The flip side to this is they're slightly cheaper - depends how often you change cars.

Usefully, all the Thule aerobar accessories will fit Atera bars if you decide to go this route - they have some nice options for transporting boards etc.

Finally, I can highly recomend these people - www.roofbox.co.uk

toledotulling

I own a 1998 Toledo, but have a rough time finding roof-bars.

The plastic covering the "gutters" on my roof have outlined spots for mounting, but it seem to need cutting/slicing. I cannot just pop them open like a lid, it is only marked out where to do the incisions. And because of this I have a hard time deciding what kit to order.

Will I be able to re-fit the plastic if I cut it up, or should I go to the one mans SEAT service center we got here in Norway?

If somebody got pictures of what I describe and how to open these fitting points I will be thrilled!!!

ianv5

Original Seat roof bars

Just brought original ones off fleabay for £27!!! Top tip search under toledo as well as leon, allthough Seat quote different part numbers for toledo and leon bars the toledo bars I brought fit perfectly on my leon!

EmDee

Omnishambolic
Thule - AmD - Revo roofbraces for some winnage

racks1.jpg

racks2.jpg

racks4.jpg

Wish they were 27 quid though :cry:

ianv5

I was really lucky right place and time. They are so easy to fit, just need to get some cycle carriers and I'm away! Will try and post some piccies.

Ben111

I was really lucky right place and time. They are so easy to fit, just need to get some cycle carriers and I'm away! Will try and post some piccies.

Would be good to see some pics as I'm looking to get some myself and would like to see what they'll be like! hope I can find some cheap ones...

jonofthemalley

I have a leon cupra, and had the same issue, i didn't want to have the roof bars distorting the door seals. Took me ages to find the ones to use the little pop up sliders in the roof. but eventually found, atera roof rack with foot pack looks good. It uses the threaded inserts under the roof sliders. i've been using it for over a year. atera.co.uk they are car specific bit pricey but worth it.

EmDee

Omnishambolic
I have a leon cupra, and had the same issue, i didn't want to have the roof bars distorting the door seals. Took me ages to find the ones to use the little pop up sliders in the roof. but eventually found, atera roof rack with foot pack looks good. It uses the threaded inserts under the roof sliders. i've been using it for over a year. atera.co.uk they are car specific bit pricey but worth it.

:confused:

The Thule ones dont use the door seals, they use the fixing points on the roof as you can see from the pics i posted above. What's even better is they are not car specific.

The atera site is selling similar ones for 109.95, which is more than I paid for my Thule ones, but they will only work on the Leons as they are not modular.

ianv5

Ben if you go on ebay and type in seat leon roof in the search you will find some genuine seat roof bars for 60quid plus postage!

jonofthemalley

Yes they are expensive but they don't curl under your door frame, allowing rain to pour in, and don't require braces like many other ones i have seen. The rubber feet spread the load and don't leave marks in your gutter as the others tend to.

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
Yes they are expensive but they don't curl under your door frame, allowing rain to pour in, and don't require braces like many other ones i have seen. The rubber feet spread the load and don't leave marks in your gutter as the others tend to.

:confused:

The Thule ones dont use the door seals, they use the fixing points on the roof as you can see from the pics i posted above. What's even better is they are not car specific.

The atera site is selling similar ones for 109.95, which is more than I paid for my Thule ones, but they will only work on the Leons as they are not modular.

The OEM SEAT bars are manufactured by Atera, so these are a good option -the only reason for not going for them (as mentioned above) is that if you sell the car you can't adapt them for your new car - it was for this reason I purchased Thule.

The other thing that put me off Atera/SEAT OEM bars is their tightening key - after a good few years of use, the key system on my father's OEM bars for his Ibiza is almost worn beyond use.

6th.replicant

May 29, 2008
London
...and don't leave marks in your gutter as the others tend to.

Umm, sorry to disagree, but they sure do leave marks! [:@]

My LCR is currently at a bodyshop having a roof-rack's distinct 'footprints' removed because the previous owner had the rack on for 2 months (24/7) last spring. (Lots of elbow-grease & T-cut etc did not budge 'em.)

jonofthemalley

I find by polishing the foot area before fitting the roof rack, the smudges simply polish off, plus its silver in colour, so may make a diffrence. when i fit the roof rack they rack stays on for ever and a day. I make sure there bloody tight so there is no movement when there on. You have still got metal feet in contact with your plastic which must mark? Oh i'm not trying to sell atera roof bars just rate, them as often carry 4 Mountain bikes, on may roof, and i crept over a ton with bikes on with no probs...... oops.

i do agree with leigh though the star drive is rubbish.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Ben111

Just brought original ones off fleabay for £27!!! Top tip search under toledo as well as leon, allthough Seat quote different part numbers for toledo and leon bars the toledo bars I brought fit perfectly on my leon!

Must be people are suddenly wanting these, just lost a pair that went for £51 :think:

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Thanks for all of this guys; I'm looking for some bars for the wife's 1.4S and had no idea what to look for. Doesn't seem to be much decent going on eBay at the moment mind you. Still, I had no idea what was even a good brand to look out for until reading this, so thanks.

Will have to keep my eyes peeled now. Only problem is that we need them in three weeks! If anyone in the Nottingham area has any that they'd like to lend us for a week or so I'd be very grateful :D

BoomhaueR

Wanna go fasterrrR
Oct 9, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Just keep an eye on ebay. I waited a couple of weeks and got some original SEAT roof bars for about £40 in the end. They work a treat. I can put them on and take them off in under 5 mins!

jonofthemalley

Hi,

I have had a search and not found anything helpful.

I am looking for a roof bar set for my '03 LCR so I can carry my 8'6" longboard. The main features I am looking for is quick to put on AND remove so I only need to use them when I want to go for a surf. I.e. put them on and take them off in under 20 mins without damaging anything.

So far I've heard good and bad reviews about Thule. Don't know much about Atera bars. And only heard good reviews about the SEAT bars but not sure if they make them anymore (plus they're not cheap).

Does anyone have any roof bars on their Leon they can recommend to fit my criteria?

Cheers :)
Hi Boomhauer

I know I can recommend the atera roof bars. I have had 4 mountain bikes on them and exceeded the speed limit a little with no issues. I have had them on and off my car regularly for best part of 3 years, with no issues with surface scratches, I am anal with them though making sure they are clean and the roof where the feet sit is polished prior to fit. The only issue is setting them up, worth taking time and releasing the bar bolts when the feet are fitted then tighten up the bar securing bolts, makes for easier fit and removal.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise