Leon sport (early Cupra thing) R replica

sri_130

Stupid is, as stupid does
I've not had a Leon, in a long time, but am about to own one that is practically free.
I can't remember much about these, but the early 1.8T's were called a sport?180bhp one? They had what looked like Delorean style alloys?

seatleon2_750_500_70.jpg

Barring laquer peel the car is low mileage, but in that greeny colour (log book says blue...)

Are LCR sideskirts and bumpers interchangeable? This doesn't have skirts or the decent bumpers + black side strips.
Thinking if I sourced some bits from a breaker, I might paint it all and make a replica in this unusual colour. Some springs and wheels, could be a tidy daily for a couple of years.

Saying all that, not even looked how much the 'kit' would be from a breaker!

Reactions: Manic172 and Rich.T

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
Yes the body kit is interchangable. But the cupra R front bumper has a metal piece that's part of the front grill to mount it to the front cross member, so make sure you get that with it. Ideally you want one with the metal cross member and all the grills or it starts to get expensive.

*Edit* It might be plastic, but it looks like this and is around £115 new.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 301

sri_130

Stupid is, as stupid does
Yes the body kit is interchangable. But the cupra R front bumper has a metal piece that's part of the front grill to mount it to the front cross member, so make sure you get that with it. Ideally you want one with the metal cross member and all the grills or it starts to get expensive.

*Edit* It might be plastic, but it looks like this and is around £115 new.

Great info, cheers.

Any ideas how the side skirts attach?

SlashProm

May 23, 2018
From what I remember the side skirts just clip on to the lip underneath the cills. But a lot of people just glue them on with something like Tiger Seal.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
From what I remember the side skirts just clip on to the lip underneath the cills. But a lot of people just glue them on with something like Tiger Seal.

Nope, there are screws underneath that attach skirts to the body.
It’s the jacking covers that clip into the skirts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: iammooks

Yellow fr

Gone to new owner so seat less for now
Sep 6, 2018
Sandbeds West Yorkshire
Shame you don’t won’t the face lift kit as I have them and also in Yorkshire I’m in the West Yorkshire area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bete noir

Green Meanie
Dec 11, 2008
Last Resort
To confirm that was the Cupra, there was never a sport.
Thats the pre-facelift orginal mk1 cupra, 180bhp 5 speed
There was a top sport but not sold in the uk
Not true. In early 2000 the Leon was offered in both Sport and Cupra form. Both were mechanically and visually the same with the 180bhp 1.8T engine and 6-speed transmission. The Cupra had a CD autochanger in the glovebox, rain sensing wipers, anti-dazzle rear view mirror, ESP (electronic stability programme) in addition to TCS, leather interior, electric front memory seats, none of which were standard on the Sport. OTR price on the Sport was £15,995 and for the Cupra it was £17,995.

At the time there was a bit of a furore going-on about the disparity between new car prices in the UK compared to the rest of Europe, which resulted (eventually) in many manufacturers reducing their UK prices. SEAT reduced the price of the Leon Cupra by about £2,000 (it may even have been £3,000) which was achieved mainly by quietly dropping the Sport name from the range, and re-badging what had previously been the Sport model as the Cupra. Hence subsequent Cupras did not have the leather and etc as standard.

I know this because I had a Leon Cupra on order at the time the price drop was implemented, and I had the sales manager call me with the good news about the price reduction. He was surprised when I told him I did not want the lesser spec for the lower price, but the car I originally ordered. Apparently he had hoped he would get 'my' higher spec Cupra for his own use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Connor H

oggydoodaa

Dec 13, 2015
Basingstoke
Not true. In early 2000 the Leon was offered in both Sport and Cupra form. Both were mechanically and visually the same with the 180bhp 1.8T engine and 6-speed transmission. The Cupra had a CD autochanger in the glovebox, rain sensing wipers, anti-dazzle rear view mirror, ESP (electronic stability programme) in addition to TCS, leather interior, electric front memory seats, none of which were standard on the Sport. OTR price on the Sport was £15,995 and for the Cupra it was £17,995.

At the time there was a bit of a furore going-on about the disparity between new car prices in the UK compared to the rest of Europe, which resulted (eventually) in many manufacturers reducing their UK prices. SEAT reduced the price of the Leon Cupra by about £2,000 (it may even have been £3,000) which was achieved mainly by quietly dropping the Sport name from the range, and re-badging what had previously been the Sport model as the Cupra. Hence subsequent Cupras did not have the leather and etc as standard.

I know this because I had a Leon Cupra on order at the time the price drop was implemented, and I had the sales manager call me with the good news about the price reduction. He was surprised when I told him I did not want the lesser spec for the lower price, but the car I originally ordered. Apparently he had hoped he would get 'my' higher spec Cupra for his own use.

I have a 2001 Cupra Pre-facelift, it came with the CD changer and Cupra badging and the standard "non Cupra" bodykit, grey interior and cloth seats. I always thought it was just an "entry level" Cupra but maybe it was one of these "Cheaper" versions that got Re-branded? ? I really don't like the standard VAG grey interiors of the time and would much prefer the all black interior. Also my Leon only has TCS non of this ESP, standard wipers and Manual seats, tho I wonder how easy it is to get some memory seats installed?? I have a growing collection of Cupra R interior parts - Full set of standard Cupra R seats(Not Recaro) and all black door cards to go in, I just need the lower dash sections and the upper pillar trims and a black roof lining, in two minds about replacing the bodykit as its ugly but rare. One thing is for sure I definitely need to ditch the standard Cupra 20 spoke bricks that they came standard with!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.