Leon turning automatically lights on?

ivo098

Apr 29, 2009
Bulgaria
I bought my Leon this way, it turns the lights on automatically when I turn on the ignition. Golf MK4s have several lighting possibilities to activate with Vagcom, but today using Vagcom I couldn't find how to activate and deactivate automatic lights.
Any help is welcome.
Thanks

cube320

Jan 30, 2008
Yes volvos do. On my brothers s40 you can only switch between main and sidlights so can not turn them of fully.

mikeholroyd

I've just ADDED day running lights to my Leon, where side, rear and dipped headlights are on whenever the ignition is on.
(see link in above post above by Lee69)
This CANNOT be configured in VAGCOM on the mark 1 Leon, it has to be done using hard-wired relays.

So somewhere either under the bonnet or behind the fuse box will be relays to make this happen. It certainly hasn't been done via the car's ECU or software.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

ivo098

Apr 29, 2009
Bulgaria
Thanks a lot. So I will be looking for the relays that are supposed to be installed on the car additionally.

Jii

Dec 12, 2003
Finland
Visit site
Finland, Sweden and Norway models has automatic day driving lights on factory and we have different light switch than row models. But it can be disable, by removing TFL wire on light switch.

mikeholroyd

You beat me to it!

I was going to say unless your car was originally imported from a country that has compulsory day running lights.
Found this about which countries have day running lights as compulsory fit
At present, fourteen European countries already have some kind of compulsory DRL for cars. In Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, and Sweden it is compulsory all year round, and on all roads. In Lithuania, Poland and Slovakia it is compulsory on all roads during the winter months. In Hungary and Italy it is compulsory on rural roads all year round. In Portugal, DRL is compulsory all year round on roads for which this is indicated. In Austria1 compulsory DRL has been abolished as of 1 January 2008.
In Belgium and Spain dipped lights are compulsory for motorcycles during daytime hours. In Switzerland DRL is recommended. The non-European country Israel has chosen compulsory DRL during the winter months on rural roads.
1 In Austria, DRL was abolished as of 1 January 2008; it had been compulsory from 2006

Mike

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
You beat me to it!

I was going to say unless your car was originally imported from a country that has compulsory day running lights.
Found this about which countries have day running lights as compulsory fit
At present, fourteen European countries already have some kind of compulsory DRL for cars. In Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Latvia, Norway, Slovenia, the Czech Republic, and Sweden it is compulsory all year round, and on all roads. In Lithuania, Poland and Slovakia it is compulsory on all roads during the winter months. In Hungary and Italy it is compulsory on rural roads all year round. In Portugal, DRL is compulsory all year round on roads for which this is indicated. In Austria1 compulsory DRL has been abolished as of 1 January 2008.
In Belgium and Spain dipped lights are compulsory for motorcycles during daytime hours. In Switzerland DRL is recommended. The non-European country Israel has chosen compulsory DRL during the winter months on rural roads.
1 In Austria, DRL was abolished as of 1 January 2008; it had been compulsory from 2006

Mike

In Poland its all year round as well :p actually.

mikeholroyd

I don't know how old this article is.

End of the day, it's coming in law over most, if not all, of the EU, including the UK next year for new cars, and if it meansbeing more visible to other road users, then I'm all in favour of it.

As far as the original poster is concerned, my advice would be leave them on -- it's not costing anything, and could save you a lot!

Mike